WyomingSlick

Wyoming Slick

Hi everybody, Glad to be here even if I do piss folks off once in a while. While leatherwork has been part of my life for over 45 years, it is just a hobby to me. I have sold quite a few peices over the years but I am a far stretch from a professional carver. I started out my leather learnin' with a wonderful teacher in 4-H who not only was a patient man but a very fine craftsman. Unfortunately, that was only for two years. But since then, I have had many wonderful teachers; Al Stohlman, Ken Griffin, Al Stohlman, F O Baird, Al Stohlman, etc.... And then there were all the great lessons from Doodle Pages. Cliff Ketchum's pages were the supreme example of tooling artistry - always regretted that he didn't have more of his work and designs published. And then there was Al Stohlman. As you probably noticed, he receives multiple thanks as a teacher. By far, and then, even farther; the greatest teacher of leatherwork ever. I have seen a few disparaging remarks about the Stohlman style in these forums and all I can say is some fools don't know anything. He is to the leatherworld what The Ventures are to guitar players. LOL Another passion of mine (86 records of theirs).

Attachment - a few of my past endeavors

set sm.jpg

post-13007-126423722921_thumb.jpg

Hi everybody, Glad to be here even if I do piss folks off once in a while. While leatherwork has been part of my life for over 45 years, it is just a hobby to me. I have sold quite a few peices over the years but I am a far stretch from a professional carver. I started out my leather learnin' with a wonderful teacher in 4-H who not only was a patient man but a very fine craftsman. Unfortunately, that was only for two years. But since then, I have had many wonderful teachers; Al Stohlman, Ken Griffin, Al Stohlman, F O Baird, Al Stohlman, etc.... And then there were all the great lessons from Doodle Pages. Cliff Ketchum's pages were the supreme example of tooling artistry - always regretted that he didn't have more of his work and designs published. And then there was Al Stohlman. As you probably noticed, he receives multiple thanks as a teacher. By far, and then, even farther; the greatest teacher of leatherwork ever. I have seen a few disparaging remarks about the Stohlman style in these forums and all I can say is some fools don't know anything. He is to the leatherworld what The Ventures are to guitar players. LOL Another passion of mine (86 records of theirs).

Attachment - a few of my past endeavors

Slick, I doubt you'll find anyone who just wants to argue, that's not what people come here for. It's becoming apparant you're the guy no one invites to the party twice.

Nice looking work Slick!!

<P>HI GUY</P>

Edited by terrahyd

I thought the whole point of forums was for people to discuss there opinions, seems like if everyone that dares to disagree with yours is a fool you may wanna just open two email accounts and write yourself...

:jerry::jerry::jerry::rofl::innocent:

Edited by Hilly

I say screw'em if they can't take a joke. Everyone needs to just take a break and worry about their own problems. This is a forum, and by its definition, it an open discussion area (within the guidelines we agree to).

Not everyone learned everything about this craft from one person and it probably will never happen. One thing is for sure, there will be MANY who will stand out in our beloved craft and yes some will make notable history, such as Al Stohlman.

I had the pleasure of having a conversation in great lengths with Al & Ann Stohlman 'handler' while he worked for Tandy many, many years ago. I learned many things about Mr. Stohlman from this person, as well as, Mrs. Stohlman. A plain fact was that he loved to teach and create, which is why some of the industry leaders created the coveted Stohlman Award, for those that give to this craft because they love it, not because she seek riches.

Another interesting note, is that close to his end, Mr. Stohlman was quoted as saying the he was a little sad as he aged because he had enough information to fill 30 more books that he wanted to write so others like myself could learn and build my skills. Here is a man that was getting older and all he could think of was the knowledge he still had and wanted desperately to share with others. Wow!

As for Mrs. Ann Stohlman, I can only repeat the words of her lovely husband and teacher. She was described as the 'best' student.

I do feel some sadness myself, it was only because of an almost life ending incident that brought me to this craft, 30 years too late. I have had many hobbys in my life and I do not believe I have met so many wonderful and thoroughly dedicated fellow artisans as in leathercraft. A craft that was and in some instances still secreative (to a certain) extent, we find ourselves in a group of enthusists who love their craft and are willing to share. Yes, I have found some artisans who found me intrusive when I show some interest in their work and started my merage of questions. I soon found myself backing off and leaving well enough alone.

Someone asked me recently why I enjoy giving or sending things to others beginning this craft (and other who are involved already) and expect nothing in return. I think it is my way of giving back to this craft. Even though I have been in this craft in such a short time.

So, John, if you run out wall space as you go along; come over to my wall and do your thing. Speak your mind, of course.....man get your mind out of the gutter guys.

Lighten up, live long!

So, Git R' Done!

Wyoming Slick......

I've read your post three or four times now trying to understand your point. I can only assume that the tone of your comments relate back to some earlier discussion that I'm not aware of. If your point is that you are a Stohlman deciple than you are in very good company, but I think you could probably have stated that without throwing down the guantlet. If your point was that you had the opportunity to learn from more of the greatest leather artists than the rest of us, then why the animosity? Most folks just come here for support and encouragement and to share their enthusiasm and knowledge...not to start an arguement. But if you're looking for a debate on styles or workmanship, or whatever....then I'm your huckleberry! gun.gif

Edited by hidepounder

Wyoming Slick......

I've read your post three or four times now trying to understand your point. I can only assume that the tone of your comments relate back to some earlier discussion that I'm not aware of. If your point is that you are a Stohlman deciple than you are in very good company, but I think you could probably have stated that without throwing down the guantlet. If your point was that you had the opportunity to learn from more of the greatest leather artists than the rest of us, then why the animosity? Most folks just come here for support and encouragement and to share their enthusiasm and knowledge...not to start an arguement. But if you're looking for a debate on styles or workmanship, or whatever....then I'm your huckleberry! gun.gif

Bob

Very well stated. My thoughts exactly

RussH

The motto of LW.net is Education, Entertainment and Fellowship, and the feeling around this place is pretty much one of a family helping each other out. We can all learn more and we can all learn from anyone, if we are willing to look hard enough. Personal attacks are not what LW.net is about, and neither instigating nor participating in them looks good on anyone. I'm not saying it has to be warm, happy, fuzzy, hug time around here all the time. Disagreements let us see sides to an issue we many never have considered. But lets talk about the subject or other people with respect. Then we can all learn more easily.

Slick, it is always a good idea to look around the room a little when you first get somewhere to get the feel of the place before jumping in with both feet and maybe inadvertently placing yourself center stage. There are different ways of saying the same thing, and being kind and polite while making your point is not being a wimp. It generally takes more thought and effort to live that way, and is generally much more effective in getting your point across. It doesn't matter what personality type you are, everyone can act respectfully and with dignity if they choose to. We'd really like to have you join the party here at LW, but not crash it.

Denise, just a feeling I get, but I somehow think ole Slick prefers to be center stage, at whatever cost!!! Just an opinion, but you know what they say about first impressions, and second, and third.

The motto of LW.net is Education, Entertainment and Fellowship, and the feeling around this place is pretty much one of a family helping each other out. We can all learn more and we can all learn from anyone, if we are willing to look hard enough. Personal attacks are not what LW.net is about, and neither instigating nor participating in them looks good on anyone. I'm not saying it has to be warm, happy, fuzzy, hug time around here all the time. Disagreements let us see sides to an issue we many never have considered. But lets talk about the subject or other people with respect. Then we can all learn more easily.

Slick, it is always a good idea to look around the room a little when you first get somewhere to get the feel of the place before jumping in with both feet and maybe inadvertently placing yourself center stage. There are different ways of saying the same thing, and being kind and polite while making your point is not being a wimp. It generally takes more thought and effort to live that way, and is generally much more effective in getting your point across. It doesn't matter what personality type you are, everyone can act respectfully and with dignity if they choose to. We'd really like to have you join the party here at LW, but not crash it.

Denise, I think your point is well taken and described well here in your response, BUT.....we all have to be adults here and take responsibility for our actions. I have been involved in this forum not only as a lurker, but as a participant and I have seen some predatory threads viewing one side or another. I make the decision not to become involved in these discussions and others need to think about what they think of others before they post their responses. Do as most people here do, ignore them and move on to the next thread.

Either way, what I like best about this forum is that it is an 'open' form. People usually post what they have learned and at times what they would like to share and yes sometimes what they think of others. I just want to learn and share. I don't care about attacks, personal or physical; been there done that.

Can't we all just get along? I guess it is just what it is. What is more important is how you take it.

Side note: In regards to the identification of specific individuals that attack; I disagree about the identification (I am sure glad I live in America) I will not allow these individuals (actual words used was deleted) the glory they think they deserve by identifying them. I believe it is an attribute of the high level of restraint that I have not to do such thing.

My response is just to point out that I am aware of what they said. It just happened to me this month regarding a picture I posted here regarding one of my very, very few commissions. It was not my design, but another person, yet I got attacked?? I don't know if it was because I posted the picture or did the commission. Go figure. But I turned the cheek and drove on. I did remove the picture so as not continue the fight. Not worth my next breath to continue a useless battle.

So, John, my wall is always available to you or anyone else that feels attacked!

Edited by King's X

If someone feels "attacked", there is a little yellow triangle marked "report" on the bottom left of every single post. Click that button and let the staff know there is a problem. One post to this topic is already gone because it served no constructive purpose. Generally, when people introduce themselves, they say Hi, and this is what I do and who I am. No one that I can recall has said "Take your best shot" in their intro and announced their intentions to "piss people off", so excuse me if I'm a little bewildered. People have tried to steer this and the other thread back on track, and it keeps getting bumped with another voice chiming in. Why are we responding so heatedly? Perhaps we're just not used to this communication style here. Personally, I'd rather not start a precedent, so either keep it friendly and civil, or the thread will be locked and we will move on with more important things, like talking about leatherwork.

Johanna

Well Put Johanna

Well Put Johanna

It's over... let's put it in the past & NOT dwell on it & lets get on with things that really matter- as Johanna said, "LEATHERWORK"

Works for me and I apologize if I prolonged the misery with my outburst.