Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

New offerings from Peter Main

First photo

...the belt (1 3/8" wide) posted last week is now complete. It is colored with spirit dyes using a combination of brush and airbrush...the shading on the initials and scrolls on the inside is a all brush work. I has a filler inside to give a rounded look....looks far better than a 'flat' belt.

Second photo

...CLOSE-UP OF LACING

the kangaroo lacing is a simple whipstitch...it is 1/8" wide. I spit this to make it a uniform weight throughout, and also bevel to edges so it will sit flat. A lot of work (with a bone folder) goes into finishing the edges of these belts.

The carving leather is (2.5mm) 6oz....the lining leather is (1.5) 4oz, and the filler is (1.2mm) 3oz. The filler has a bevel (to a feather edge) on both sides.

Third photo

...54" WAIST...11 FEET OF LACING!!!!!

untitled.JPG

untitled.JPG

untitled.JPG

post-3307-1243524972_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1243525208_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1243525335_thumb.jpg

those are some nice belts.. Peter does such great work.. is the first picture the 54"er? thats a lot of be belt i hope it doesn't get covered up by a big belly. and no one ever gets to see it..

those are some nice belts.. Peter does such great work.. is the first picture the 54"er? thats a lot of be belt i hope it doesn't get covered up by a big belly. and no one ever gets to see it..

The 54"er is the one with DG initials.

Edited by Rawhide

I'm really curious. What does Peter charge for something like that? 1-2 thousand per belt wouldn't surprise me though.

Seeing as how you two are pretty tight, I thought that he might allow you to tell us if you knew.

pete

I'm really curious. What does Peter charge for something like that? 1-2 thousand per belt wouldn't surprise me though.

Seeing as how you two are pretty tight, I thought that he might allow you to tell us if you knew.

pete

Peter says:

hhhmmm,

...."I'm glad he is not surprised'.

Regards,

Peter

THat is a very nice looking belt. Great idea with filling in the center to give it that slightly domed effect.

On the lacing, did he burnish it a little after the lacing was finished or was that from when he was skiving and rounding it before He actually did the lace job. It has a nice darker shade on the outside edge of the belt that looks really good.

Looks like alot of work but well worth it.

THat is a very nice looking belt. Great idea with filling in the center to give it that slightly domed effect.

On the lacing, did he burnish it a little after the lacing was finished or was that from when he was skiving and rounding it before He actually did the lace job. It has a nice darker shade on the outside edge of the belt that looks really good.

Looks like alot of work but well worth it.

he did say he burnished a lot using a bone folder, but he also mentioned that he used an airbrush on some of the dying (i don't know which parts though).

i never get tired of looking at peters work....who would have thought that whipstitch could look so good

wow that's nice

What style of lacing has he done I mean a running loop or what

Josh

wow that's nice

What style of lacing has he done I mean a running loop or what

Josh

Hi Josh,

It's just a simple whip stitch...Looks way more complicated doesn't it?

That is jaw dropping nice.

The lacing gives the effect of snake skin.

What would be the time frame on that belt.

Great Job Peter, as always! The whip stitch looks great!

Bob

That is jaw dropping nice.

The lacing gives the effect of snake skin.

What would be the time frame on that belt.

Razz,

Peter says:

It took in excess of a day (meaning 24 hours) to complete...(if you speak of the light colored belt with many flowers).

Peter

Great belts! It is cool to see how elegant one can actually make a belt. Peter, I hope one day my work looks as nice as yours. I love the lining work done on these belts. Thanks Rawhide for posting these.

Great belts! It is cool to see how elegant one can actually make a belt. Peter, I hope one day my work looks as nice as yours. I love the lining work done on these belts. Thanks Rawhide for posting these.

You're welcome!

Rawhide, does peter even exsist or is it just you in one of those mission impossible type masks. LOL

Why doesnt he just come on here and talk instead of you having to be the secretary?

I understand that he might be busy, or is he just too good for us. I mean alot of people are busy but still find time to come on here and share and help people learn. I would love to pick his brain a few times if he ever gets the chance.

But thank you for sharing his work it is always very easy on the eyes.

Rawhide, does peter even exsist or is it just you in one of those mission impossible type masks. LOL

Why doesnt he just come on here and talk instead of you having to be the secretary?

I understand that he might be busy, or is he just too good for us. I mean alot of people are busy but still find time to come on here and share and help people learn. I would love to pick his brain a few times if he ever gets the chance.

But thank you for sharing his work it is always very easy on the eyes.

Peter sneaks in every so often and posts, but he posts on another list that I'm on as well and it's email based, so it's easier for him to post to multiple lists that way. I asked if he'd like for me to post his work here for him, and I do it out of courtesy... It's not that he's too good for us or anything like that. If you want to know something, just email him. He's very responsive and is usually glad to answer questions. He gets a ton of emails, so if you don't get an answer try again. He's usually fairly quick about replying. You can find his email on his website. Peter's website. He's really a great guy, so don't think that he's snubbing us.

Marlon

Edited by Rawhide

Peter sneaks in every so often and posts, but he posts on another list that I'm on as well and it's email based, so it's easier for him to post to multiple lists that way. I asked if he'd like for me to post his work here for him, and I do it out of courtesy... It's not that he's too good for us or anything like that. If you want to know something, just email him. He's very responsive and is usually glad to answer questions. He gets a ton of emails, so if you don't get an answer try again. He's usually fairly quick about replying. You can find his email on his website. Peter's website. He's really a great guy, so don't think that he's snubbing us.

Marlon

Well its good to know that he does exsist. I was just trying to be funny not offend him or yourself. I understand he is a busy man.

...I was just trying to be funny not offend him or yourself...

That's the way I took it..., I just replied that way for those who don't know him and also wonder why he doesn't post much...

No offense taken at all...We're all friends here, right?? :grouphug5vj5:

speaking of posting, where's your things! I miss seeing your creations so get with the program!!!! We all want to see what you have been up to!!!!

stay well

pete

That's the way I took it..., I just replied that way for those who don't know him and also wonder why he doesn't post much...

No offense taken at all...We're all friends here, right?? :grouphug5vj5:

Darn Tootin MR.

speaking of posting, where's your things! I miss seeing your creations so get with the program!!!! We all want to see what you have been up to!!!!

stay well

pete

Coming soon to a topic near you!!!