Sign in to follow this  
Chief31794

What Is This

Sorry Folks,

I don't spend much time in the Exotic Forum, but I have this material and it is beautiful, It is pretty large or I would tend to think it is Lizard of some type, but the pieces are cutoffs and some are 36" wide, can't tell how long it was in the other direction because something pretty big was cut out of it, looks like maybe a Brief Case or bigger. I would like to make some items and sell them but don't want to misrepresent them as being something they are not.

Don't know if you can tell from the pictures but I took them of both sides of the skin.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

post-6362-047605400 1340739012_thumb.jpg

post-6362-010712700 1340739051_thumb.jpg

Sorry Folks,

I don't spend much time in the Exotic Forum, but I have this material and it is beautiful, It is pretty large or I would tend to think it is Lizard of some type, but the pieces are cutoffs and some are 36" wide, can't tell how long it was in the other direction because something pretty big was cut out of it, looks like maybe a Brief Case or bigger. I would like to make some items and sell them but don't want to misrepresent them as being something they are not.

Don't know if you can tell from the pictures but I took them of both sides of the skin.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

From the grump: With the size you describe, it looks like it might be cowhide embossed to replicate 'gator. Mike

I'd guess from the size that it was cow hide embossed to look like lizard.

From the grump: With the size you describe, it looks like it might be cowhide embossed to replicate 'gator. Mike

Thanks Grump,

I got this in a box with all real skin pieces, ray, lizard, etc. It was the only one this size. I have some embossed cowhide but the backside doesn't have the scale effect shown in the second picture so I thought this was real skin of some type. I didn't know they embossed both sides of the cowhide. It is definitely not leather, it is identical to the lizard I use except larger and prettier. Thanks for the info.

Ken

I'd guess from the size that it was cow hide embossed to look like lizard.

Thanks mmirob,

Same comments as I replied to Katsass, I don't think it's cowhide, I have some of that and the difference is astonishing. I think it's real skin, just not sure what type. I think I'll send a small piece to someone to look at, the pictures don't do it justice. I'll talk to SLC and see if they will ID it for me.

Ken

Edited by Chief31794

Thanks mmirob,

Same comments as I replied to Katsass, I don't think it's cowhide, I have some of that and the difference is astonishing. I think it's real skin, just not sure what type. I think I'll send a small piece to someone to look at, the pictures don't do it justice. I'll talk to SLC and see if they will ID it for me.

Ken

Take a picture of the entire hide. If it is real gator or lizzard you can see where the scales and hide narrow for the legs and tail and then stop. Additionally the flesh side will be rough and less uniform. Embossed cowhide looks just like the second picture you attached. You cant really tell where the animal begins and ends on an embossed hide. This is the way the buyers of embossed hides what it so they can use all of the hide. Quality embossing looks remarkably real to anyone but those of us who have been handling and working with exotics. Lizard rarely ever gets to that size...at least that I have seen regularly sold. It does not really look like gator or croc to me.

Check me on this but do a search for gator or lizard and see how they look and compare yours. Best of luck.

That is most definitely not lizard. Looks like american gator to me. I've had some large (8+ feet) full size hides where you would easily get large sections like what you have shown.

Take a picture of the entire hide. If it is real gator or lizzard you can see where the scales and hide narrow for the legs and tail and then stop. Additionally the flesh side will be rough and less uniform. Embossed cowhide looks just like the second picture you attached. You cant really tell where the animal begins and ends on an embossed hide. This is the way the buyers of embossed hides what it so they can use all of the hide. Quality embossing looks remarkably real to anyone but those of us who have been handling and working with exotics. Lizard rarely ever gets to that size...at least that I have seen regularly sold. It does not really look like gator or croc to me.

Check me on this but do a search for gator or lizard and see how they look and compare yours. Best of luck.

Mmirob,

Can't take a picture of the entire hide, it was remnants in an exotic skin remnant box. The piece I got was about 30" long and about 8" tall and there was a chalk line where an object had been cut from it.

Ken

Got a picture of gator hide from a supplier, to my untrained eye, they look identical except for the color. I've never seen embossed hides that had scale designs on flesh side. The second picture about is not a good one, it looks fuzzy, that is a grainy picture, the skin is slick smooth with scale impressions.

I've sent a piece off to the supplier. He thought the picture looked like gator. Will confirm.

Ken

post-6362-010608800 1340919672_thumb.jpg

post-6362-090518500 1340919673_thumb.jpg

Belly Cut gator. The squarish panels are the actually belly. The roundish scales are the sides.

Your a lucky man. I guess these bags are really hit or miss the one I got was a bag of very small scraps and the only good pieces were all lizard.

Chief, ever find out what that hide was?

Jake

Got a picture of gator hide from a supplier, to my untrained eye, they look identical except for the color. I've never seen embossed hides that had scale designs on flesh side. The second picture about is not a good one, it looks fuzzy, that is a grainy picture, the skin is slick smooth with scale impressions.

I've sent a piece off to the supplier. He thought the picture looked like gator. Will confirm.

Ken

Gator,

It wasn't embossed and it wasn't lizard. The guy I sent it to said it was gator belly and side. Pretty nice sized piece, I made a couple of different projects out of it. 4 magnetic money clips and 2 business card cases, one of each is in my pocket the others I sold at a craft fair.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794