MrLentz

What Direction For Stitching Punches In A Die?

Hello,

I am about to get a die cut from Texas Custom Dies. I am having them put stitching slots in the die for me to save some time on my end. Usually I use a diagonal shaped 4 prong punch to cut my stitching slots. However TCM is not able to put diagonal slots in their dies. They can only put horizonal or vertical ones in.

I am wondering which is better and what are some of the issues with either I may not know of? I still want the nice diagonal looking saddle stitch, but not sure which will have the better effect. The photo below should explain it better.

Thanks for the help!

Evan

post-25527-0-91634300-1379003261_thumb.j

horizontal slots will result in the leather being pulled apart rather than the holes closing up, think about pulling the stitching tight from the top of one to the bottom of the other, it will open up the holes (thats assuming you would even get a slanted stitch )

vertical would result in weakening the leather

can they do round holes ? thats probably the best alternative, you can still slant the stitching by casting it

can they do round holes ? thats probably the best alternative, you can still slant the stitching by casting it

Thanks for the tip! What do you mean by 'casting it'? Should I tell Texas custom dies that?

no, sorry, I mean casting the stitch, will let you slant the stitching somewhat even though the holes in the leather are round

from about 8mins on

round holes, slanted stitching

If you have to have them put the holes use the smallest circle you can. Vertical and horizontal will both look bad and not work well.

If you have to have them put the holes use the smallest circle you can. Vertical and horizontal will both look bad and not work well.

Is this to keep better tension on the stitches?

Also - another option is for me to punch the holes myself, but for peed, I am trying to find an 8 prong angled lacing chisel...any ideas on if it exists?

Thanks!

how many stitches per inch are you looking for ?

I don't think I'd have them put in at all. If one ever breaks or bends, then there'd be a problem. You may decide down the line you want to do finer work and want to sew 7 to the inch. I hate to sound all old fashioned but a sewing awl and couple sizes of overstitch wheels will probably cost about the same as having slits put in a die and give you more options. My thoughts.

Is this to keep better tension on the stitches?

Also - another option is for me to punch the holes myself, but for peed, I am trying to find an 8 prong angled lacing chisel...any ideas on if it exists?

Thanks!

Are you going to be stitching or lacing? If you're looking for an 8 prong angled lacing chisel, it will not be good for stitching (saddle stitching with thread), the angled lacing chisel is normally used for buck stitching (lacing). If you are going to punch stitching holes then you want to look for a stitching chisel (Diamond Shaped), the traditional method of stitching is to use a diamond shaped awl. If you're going for speed, then you might want to think about a leather sewing machine.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794