I've read everything I can find on this topic but still don't see an answer.

After blackening the leather with my Vinegaroon, I soak it in a baking soda soluton for a while, then rinse it well. I rub it with a rag and it seems to come off, blackening the rag. Even after it's dry, I seem to get some rub off.

Is this normal? It's not a dye, so am I just getting some of the tannins from the surface on my rag?

Thanks

Tom

What you are getting is wash-out. When the acetic acid reacts with the tannins, some of the tannins are pushed out of the leather by the water portion of the vinegar. With the soak in baking soda, you're adding MORE water. Instead of soaking in baking soda, just give it a quick rinse. I rinse with just tap water to avoid over neutralizing the leather, which should have a slightly acidic pH. After the rinse cycle, let the leather dry a bit, then oil it. After some discussion in the various threads, I'm of the opinion that lightly dampening the leather before adding the vinegaroon helps to open the pores better.

When I use 'roon, instead of soaking it, I use a quick dip or I brush it on. If the brew leaves the leather a dark gray color as it dries, oil the leather or use a conditioner like Aussie and REALLY rub it in.....you're literally pushing some of the oils and tallows back into the leather.

What you are getting is wash-out. When the acetic acid reacts with the tannins, some of the tannins are pushed out of the leather by the water portion of the vinegar. With the soak in baking soda, you're adding MORE water. Instead of soaking in baking soda, just give it a quick rinse. I rinse with just tap water to avoid over neutralizing the leather, which should have a slightly acidic pH. After the rinse cycle, let the leather dry a bit, then oil it. After some discussion in the various threads, I'm of the opinion that lightly dampening the leather before adding the vinegaroon helps to open the pores better.

When I use 'roon, instead of soaking it, I use a quick dip or I brush it on. If the brew leaves the leather a dark gray color as it dries, oil the leather or use a conditioner like Aussie and REALLY rub it in.....you're literally pushing some of the oils and tallows back into the leather.

I did a dip the the other night and it was weird.... I could only fit 3/4ths of the strip at a time in my pan, so I dipped until it was black on the first end (about 1-2 minutes) and swapped ends. the second end would only turn gray in the same amount of time. It took about 7 minutes to turn black.

I'll try the brush on method tomorrow on my next project.

As for the baking soda, I'm doing an extended soak to get rid of the smell.... Water won't cut it. But I haven't tried oiling it after a quick wash either.

Later.

Tom

If you're soaking that long, you are running the chance of damaging the leather. Give your brew some time to mature - two - three weeks outta do. You're smelling mostly vinegar, and as the brew matures, the vinegar gets 'used up'. I can smell mine, but only if I stick my nose in the jar.....but it's several months old, too. YMMV.

If you're soaking that long, you are running the chance of damaging the leather. Give your brew some time to mature - two - three weeks outta do. You're smelling mostly vinegar, and as the brew matures, the vinegar gets 'used up'. I can smell mine, but only if I stick my nose in the jar.....but it's several months old, too. YMMV.

Thanks,

I'll try it again.

It's about 3 weeks old now. I did a final straining tonight as it had stopped dissolving the steel wool a week or so ago.... I've got it airing out now in a quart jar.

Tom