Sign in to follow this  
mulepackin

Seat Shaping

Been reading a lot on shaping the groundseat as this is one of the elements of saddle construction that worries me. It obviously has to be right and fit the rider. Many makers state they are shaping to fit the particular customer. Having spent many more hours sitting a saddle than I ever will making any I can relate to a good fit here. My question is how is this achieved? Not the build up and skiving, etc. but more specifically fitting. I doubt anyone is making castings or impressions of the rear in question. Is it a trial and error thing, having the customer sit on the unfinished seat and giving feedback? Perhaps bringing in previously used saddles and going from there?

In my limited experience, seven saddles in six years, it is best if you can have the customer sit in the saddle as yo are doing the ground seat. But not just sit and give feedback, have them sit, have a cup of coffee, chat a while and then let you know how it feels. I would say a minimum of 20 minutes to get a good feel for it. I have even had a guy help me by having the stand next to the bench so he could cut some things out for me.

I have started to "dish out" a little where the butt bones go on the seat. This seems to make for a more comfortable ride.