DavidG

Standard Newbie Getting Started Post

Hello everyone!

For the past few months I've wanted to find a crafty hobby that would be entertaining and possibly provide a means to make a few bucks to supplement the day job. Throughout the years I've been involved with lots of reenactment type groups (SCA, Renfaires, Scottish Festivals, LARPing, etc) and even though I'm not deeply into any of those subcultures, I enjoy visiting and observing.

One of the few constants I've found in these groups is leather. Everything from sheaths to boots, quivers to riding crops. So, I'm now thinking that I'll get into leather and that right now is a good time to go through all of the starter kits and make ugly wallets and checkbook covers to give to my friends and family for Christmas! Well, at least the ones for which I'm usually too cheap to buy a real gift.

So...where to begin? I'm much more interested in celtic motifs than western, and would like to get stamps that would facilitate doing basic celtic knotwork. Maybe a "throwaway craft" project or two just get comfortable with the stamping process and go with patterns after that?

Early on, I'd like to make a few belts (first one with a blank and then cut my own), a new waist strap for my sporran (kilt pouch), a few belt pouches for various items, and a set of bracers.

Eventually, I'd like to make sword scabbards, a pipe bag and a briefcase similar to the ones made by Saddleback Leather. But that level of craftsmanship takes time.

Any advice is appreciated.

Also, I am located in Greenville SC. Atlanta and Charlotte are within a two hour drive, so if anyone knows of any great shops, classes, or other resources in my area please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

David

Welcome DavidG to the Great Addiction. You couldn't find a better place to start, than right here on this Forum. There's plenty of sporrans and such to look at here.

For starters, I'm in NC, and I'm lucky that I live near Zack White's in Ramseur, and Tandy's in Raleigh. But that's a 3hr drive to Ramseur for you.

For you, there is a Tandy in Columbia, but anything else around you is probably slim, but I'm not totally positive. But like ten million other people, you can't go wrong by starting out at the Tandy Store. Plenty of starter things, and the people there are always helpful.

Tandy Leather #164 COLUMBIA

Toll Free: 866-480-2591

Manager: Richard Poindexter

3317 Platt Springs Rd West Columbia, SC 29169

Don't forget to keep us appraised of your starter projects.

whats nice about those kits is that they will usually have all of the tools needed to do the projects and to get you started. It may also have a book(s) that will also help you too.

they arent suppose to be an end-all solution so eventually you will need to branch out and get more supplies and tools when you branch out to other projects.

There are alot of books out there taht will show you how to make things and even if they dont, you can ask here, or if youre willing to try, use the experience youve learned and apply it to the next project.

David,

I just bought a Tandy Delux Starte Kit about 5 wks ago for around $79 and it was worth the money. About 2 wks ago I got to go to a Tandy store, about 4 hours away, and spent over e $200 there with the help of the manager. He spent a good hour showing me how use some of the tools, answered all my questions and helped me pick out the additional supplies. I can't wait to go back! One piece of advice, get one of those marble/granite slabs they sell. Before I bought the Marble slab I was using this 1/4" piece of granite tile I bought at Home Depot and theres no comparison.

I'm a newbie and also looking to do belts which I'm researching now. Good luck.

Frank

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. Both are very appreciated.

Frank, I'm interested in getting that kit, but if it's the same one I'm looking at online it's a decent amount more than $79. Does Tandy Leather have sales? Should I make sure to go to the actual store rather than buying online?

Welcome David

I got my slab of granite at a counter top place. It's over an inch thick and got it free. It's a sink cut out from a granite counter top. Might save you a few bucks. That way you'll have more money to spend at Tandy's on leather or tools. Again, wwelcome to the community.

Tom

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. Both are very appreciated.

Frank, I'm interested in getting that kit, but if it's the same one I'm looking at online it's a decent amount more than $79. Does Tandy Leather have sales? Should I make sure to go to the actual store rather than buying online?

Dave, tandy DOES have sales. they also have a 'wholesale club' that you can join for (I think) $35 per year. It's better than paying full retail & you get a newsletter every 2 months which has some really neat ideas & tips & sales (+ you get a free craftaid & craftool each month).

If you can, go to the store in person- MUCH, MUCH better than buying on line. you can SEE and SELECT what you purchase in leather & test drive the tools (craftools are notorious for being quite variable in quality), rather than relying on some anonymous doofus throwing together whatever is within easy reach. The managers & staff are very knowledgeable & willingly share their expertise. Talk to them, ask questions, pick their brains, ask if they have better prices than the listed full retail (& often they do)- what's the WORST they can say: NO...???

russ

Welcome David

I got my slab of granite at a counter top place. It's over an inch thick and got it free. It's a sink cut out from a granite counter top. Might save you a few bucks. That way you'll have more money to spend at Tandy's on leather or tools. Again, wwelcome to the community.

Tom

I'm a newbie to the hobby also and just stopped by my local granite counter top place and got a 1'x1' 1" thick slab of granite and a 1.5'x2' slab of granite free also, make sure to check them out.

Thanks for the advice on the slab. I'm nine kinds of busy until Monday, but I'll check it out then.

I think what I will do is buy a starter kit via mail order. Just going to Tandy in Columbia will cost me almost as much as a beginner kit, so I will get the kit first, do what I can with the assistance of the fine folk here, and then once I've exhausted what I can make/learn from the kit, go down to Tandy and now have a bit of an idea what I need and what I'm doing. This seems to be a rational way to begin.

If I do that, my only question is "what kit should I get?". I'm leaning toward the Tandy Basic Leathercraft Kit ($60) or the Deluxe Leathercraft Kit $130. I'm thinking with my approach that it would be best to start with the basic kit, learn a bit, and then go to Tandy and buy what I need to supplement after that.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again for your help everyone; this is such a great community.

Thanks for the advice on the slab. I'm nine kinds of busy until Monday, but I'll check it out then.

I think what I will do is buy a starter kit via mail order. Just going to Tandy in Columbia will cost me almost as much as a beginner kit, so I will get the kit first, do what I can with the assistance of the fine folk here, and then once I've exhausted what I can make/learn from the kit, go down to Tandy and now have a bit of an idea what I need and what I'm doing. This seems to be a rational way to begin.

If I do that, my only question is "what kit should I get?". I'm leaning toward the Tandy Basic Leathercraft Kit ($60) or the Deluxe Leathercraft Kit $130. I'm thinking with my approach that it would be best to start with the basic kit, learn a bit, and then go to Tandy and buy what I need to supplement after that.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again for your help everyone; this is such a great community.

Hi David-

I took a look at the different kits, I have a sale flyer that I recieved in the mail. My advice would be to go with the Basic Kit. It is listing that as having 6 stamping tools. The sale flyer is advertising this with a bonus buy of four free craftool stamps, leather or books/craftaids. Six tools included then 4 free. I think the deluxe will have more projects for you to do, but after getting your feet wet you will probably find that you want to do different things than what are included in the kits. There has also been some discussions on LW that sometimes the kits with the pre-punched holes don't line up the best or that the lace quantity sometimes isn't enough to finish the kit projects.

Go with the basic kit. Learn what you like to do, then shop for more tools and supplies. Hope this helps a little.

Crystal

Crystal,

That sounds like good advice. The sales flyer that you mentioned...does that only go to people who are members of the wholesale club or is the offer good for everyone? If it applies to everyone would I have to arrive in person to take advantage of the offer?

Thanks again!

David

Crystal,

That sounds like good advice. The sales flyer that you mentioned...does that only go to people who are members of the wholesale club or is the offer good for everyone? If it applies to everyone would I have to arrive in person to take advantage of the offer?

Thanks again!

David

Hi David - I think that this is the regular November sales flyer. They have the same prices listed on the web site that are on this. The Skiver is a wholesale member flyer. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) Call your local Tandy and ask them to send a copy out to you. See if they will send you a new catalog WITH the price insert as well.

Happy shopping!

Crystal

Tandy lists "regular" and "club" prices on their website.

I just called Tandy and they are sending me the sales flyer, a catalog, and have put me on their email list for classes. I can't wait to dive in to that.

hi David,

yes, I did get my Delux kit on sale otherwise i was going to get the Basic kit. The advice from Crystal is good, I'm leaning toward geometric stamping on belts and I need more stamping tools. My wish list is getting bigger and bigger!

Good luck

Frank

I don't have any big news yet, but I have received my Tandy catalog with sales flyer. My birthday is on Friday, and I've let people know that if they don't know what to get me, a donation toward my leather fund would be appreciated. So I will most likely go to Tandy's between Friday and the end of the month for the Basic kit and probably 25 rounds to practice stamping and carving. Thereafter I think will try to copy a belt pouch I bought at a Renn Faire and then a belt as well as various Christmas projects.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you updated as I start down the brown tanned road.

I don't have any big news yet, but I have received my Tandy catalog with sales flyer. My birthday is on Friday, and I've let people know that if they don't know what to get me, a donation toward my leather fund would be appreciated. So I will most likely go to Tandy's between Friday and the end of the month for the Basic kit and probably 25 rounds to practice stamping and carving. Thereafter I think will try to copy a belt pouch I bought at a Renn Faire and then a belt as well as various Christmas projects. Thanks everyone! I'll keep you updated as I start down the brown tanned road.

David, Below is a link to a place that's probably not far from you, I would look into going there too every so often. They have a workshop they put on last year and I think they are doing it again in march sometime. They'll have some of the great leather artisans there to teach classes. Even if you don't take a class, I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms. If nothing else, sign up for the free newsletter, they email i each month, and usually have a pattern or two in there.

Welcome to the addiction,

Marlon

Hides to Art

Edited by Rawhide

Marlon,

Thanks for the tip! I'm signed up for the newsletter and whether or not I can take a class there in March the event is only an hour away so I'll certainly drive up on Saturday and check it out on that day. Do they usually have a dealer's room?

Thanks again!

David

Marlon,

Thanks for the tip! I'm signed up for the newsletter and whether or not I can take a class there in March the event is only an hour away so I'll certainly drive up on Saturday and check it out on that day. Do they usually have a dealer's room?

Thanks again!

David

I'm not sure if it's a store front or not, It may only be a collection of people yearly. Email Kevin and ask if you're interested. I think it may be a good idea to drive up there that day and at least meet those instructors. I've met Bob Beard and George Hurst and both are exceptional guys.

Marlon