Havamal

Ok... Here It Is... The Very First Leather Project

I decided to just use one of those kit things from TLF to see if I had any kind of aptitude for tooling leather. I went with the check book cover... simply because it didn't look too difficult, but yet not as simple as some of the others... or it might have had something to do with it sitting in front of me when I decided to jump in with both feet... either way, here it is. Let me know if I should continue down this path of leather addiction or if I should get into a 12 step program before it is too late...

post-36040-0-56774500-1354082204_thumb.j

One thing I noticed right off... when you take a picture of the finished work the camera sure brings out the imperfections! You can see where I was heavy handed and where I was too light with the mallet!

Hey Matt, looks good for a first effort. All of the things I see are things that will improve with time and experience. I would never dissuade you from continuing, and if you love it, you should start saving your pennies now! The camera ALWAYS makes your flaws show up way more than the human eye, so don't let that discourage you. I LOVE working with leather, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Except a billion dollars, which I would use to buy leather, tools and all the other stuff I'll need!

I wish my 20th would look like your first!

same here! looks good for a 1st! ;)

keep going if you like it! ;)

If that's the first shot at it, then we'll assume you're a natural. I can tell you my first project was not good :)

Very good job, I should have your aptitude with a tool. Cheryl

I agree with everyone else, for a first project you did an excellent job. I still have my first project, a key case, that I made 37 years ago. It doesn't look as good as your first.

I think it looks great! Your lacing looks 10x better than anything I've ever laced. In general, on-camera flash makes stuff look bad. Try photographing with natural and/or ambient light - this helps show the depth of the tooling and eliminates the harsh reflections and shadows. Very good work - be proud of it!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do love working with leather, so I do believe I will continue on and develope this addiction. I work a high stress job and I found that doing this is really therapeutic compared to other things I have tried. As far as the cost of leatherwork, no need to save pennies, I bought a powerball ticket for tonights drawing of $500,000,000. I figure that would keep me in hide for a while :P

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do love working with leather, so I do believe I will continue on and develope this addiction. I work a high stress job and I found that doing this is really therapeutic compared to other things I have tried. As far as the cost of leatherwork, no need to save pennies, I bought a powerball ticket for tonights drawing of $500,000,000. I figure that would keep me in hide for a while :P

I know what you mean about the therapeutic nature. I look forward to working on leather all day while I'm at work. Really helps me zone out and do something enjoyable. You're doing GREAT for a first time piece. I also want to add how perfect the lace job looks. Just keep at it and do something every day so you can really get those tooling techniques down (this is where scrap bags of leather come in handy).

The first thing I did is a coaster that sits on my desk at work. I use it as a reminder of how bad I was and how far I've come.

Yes, the therapy helps here as well. I take great satisfaction in working with leather and like you, I have a high stress job. Since I can't pound the criminals, I pound leather! Plus, at the end of the day, I have something tangible to show for it. My first project was also a tandy kit. I wanted to keep it away from the world so I could continue to look at my mistakes, but my step dad loved it so much that I couldn't resistgiving it to him. Here's a pic of it in its new home. I cringe, but he loves it!

Mike

post-34726-0-12547500-1354119850_thumb.j

You have what it takes! Great job! :notworthy: And by the way Havamal...I have the winning ticket! :rofl:

Thanks for the support everyone.

Benlilly ~ not posssible, I called Dion Warwick and she says that yours is a counterfeit :youwish:

looks good for a first time. With time and practice, you'll get better.

nice job on that!

Thanks again everybody... your comments have done wonders for my confidence in taking this on.

More compliments coming your way... Wow, that is unbelievable for your first project!

you have obviously reading up and taking notice of the wealth of knowledge here.

I can Just Imagine where you can go from here :thumbsup:

Awesome job!

Thanks for the kind words Cheryl.

Your right, I have been doing a lot of reading here... the amount of knowledge available here is phenomenal! I spent a lot of time after I did the tooling saying :oops: as I read info on here. There are a lot of things that I discovered, after I did the work, that I should have done or did incorrectly. (casing the leather properly being one of the big ones :) )

I can not say enough about the info available here or the people on this forum!

Edited by Havamal

Good job on the lacing. The slight choppiness and toolmarks in the beveling will go away with practice. Overall very nice for a "first time" Keep at it!

That is very nice work for a first project. Please do continue!

Thanks again for the support everyone!

I think my next step will be to work on some smaller projects like coasters or bookmarks to work on getting better at the tooling.