MidwestSkylor

Kansas Tannery

Does anyone know of a tannery to get hides in Kansas other than Tandy Leather Factory? I won't be buying in bulk. It's just for personal projects and trying to make my skills better. I like to try and support local companies.

Thanks

Are you looking for an actual tannery or a leather supplier? There are only a handful of tanneries in the U.S.

I'm 100% sure that Tandy doesn't actually have a tannery.

Tandy is a retailer/supplier and they buy their hides from tanneries like Herman Oak, and Wickett and Craig, as well as other tanneries in other countries. You may have a local Tandy store, but they are only middle men. If you have not had a good experience with your local store, please check out our suppliers in the ad banner.

There is Leather Smith Supply Co. in Overland Park KS http://www.leathersmithsupply.com/

Edited by camano ridge

I guess I need to get used to the terminology. Sorry I am a newbie. I am wanting a leather supplier I guess for whole sides. I was just trying to cut out the middle man and go striaght to the source. Thanks

Ah.

You can try Herman Oak Tannery, or Wickett and Craig. Typically, they have a minimum order (I think the HO minimum is 10 sides), so you'll be looking at quite a chunk of change.

If you won't need that much, contact the vendors here. The one I use is Springfield and I know they sell shoulders, bellies, double shoulders, backs, sides and sometimes whole hides.

There is Leather Smith Supply Co. in Overland Park KS http://www.leathersmithsupply.com/

Actually the Leathersmith in Overland Park is closing their store. I noticed there is a message on their home page.

Total Bummer. Mark at Leathersmith Supply is a great guy. I wish him luck in his other business.

All of the KS suppliers seem to be closing. There was American Leather in Leavenworth, and they closed January.

There are a number of boot and shoe places that deal with the evil empire (Tandy) and get you thier items, but

I don't know any other independant dealers. In Manhattan, try Gary at Manhattan Boot and Shoe Repair. If you just

need a small piece of leather, I'm sure he'll cut some off for you.

Cheers!

Would suggest you contact Springfield leather, they are the closest supplier that has a full line, great products, great customer service and fast shipping that is reasonable.

in response to this are there any actual tanneries still open around here? i'm looking to buy a coupke thousand kangaroos and have them tanned here instead of importing already processed skins

Wickett and Craig has no minimum, you can order one side, they ship and their prices are good, no middle man taking a cut