Sign in to follow this  
caballero

Leather Carving Workshop

Hi fellows,

I'm runningfrom home (Bogotá – Colombia) to United States on a family trip plan. I will bein LA, San Francisco, and Las Vegas from 22 June 2012 to 8 July 2012. Here inmy country I don't have any possibility to have lessons on carving leather. Doesany one know some workshop near those cities or in those cities?

LA from 22June to 26 June

SF from 28June to 2 July

Las Vegasfrom 4 July to 7 July

Thanks.

PD. Do someone knows any leather carving distant course (on line)?

Edited by caballero

Cary Schwarz is a top notch saddle maker in Idaho and has recently put out some dvds on patterns and carving in the Sheridan Style that are very good. You can find out on his website at www.caryschwarz.com

I do not know what type of leather lessons you are look for so I will throw some information up for you.

There are no classes during that time in the area. I would suggest maybe some private lessons with varies artists near your locations. For the SF area, I would suggest contacting Bruce Johnson, Cathy Schlim nearby or to the south of SF, Jeremiah Watt or Al Gould. These individuals are top notch with many years of experience in the field of leather. If they are not available, they might be able to direct you to others in the area.

In LA, I would contact Standing Bear Trading Post in Van Nuys. Wayne and Sandi should be able to help you. There are many great artists in this area.

Finally, in Las Vegas, I would contact Tim at Tanglefoot Traders Leather company for help in this region.

As for Mr. Cary, I would highly recommend him, but I believe he is out of your way. I know that I missed some great artists and resources in the areas you mentioned, but it is still too early in the day to remember plus I am getting old.

Good luck and safe travels!

Thank you very much it have been very helpful. Sure I will try to contact them. Thank you very much.

I have one more name that I remembered after my posting. You can contact Brad Cooper through the Tandy Leather Factory Store in Ventura, CA. He might be able to direct you to some private instruction. Good luck and safe travels.