Sign in to follow this  
feralking

How Do I Stitch Correctly?

well when i first started i had no knollege of stitching or leathercraft, my reenactment group said it's better if i make my bags myself for more originality and to learn an amazing craft, problem is now i had messed up a lot of leather (quite expensive on my salary) so i wonderd if someone could explain or better yet send me a pic of what a good stitch might look like and how to do it i will be very thankfull! i haven't got photos but i can explain the way i did my first bag.

i punctured the leather and thread through the hole, through the next peice of leather to join the two and then punctured the other end and went through in reverse, double stitch too.... wow that sounds confusing.

.^. .^. .^.

_ v_ v_ v

like that ---^ (ignore the "_" lines they just keep the bottem row in place) the dots being the holes and the arrows being the thread. imagine that with the leather on it's side so you barely see the leather ----- <-- like that.

but it's not very strong!

Edited by feralking

Welcome to LW - great place. I've PM'd you with something that may be of use. Gary

If I understand your images corectly, this is what you want. v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

Two threads, both making an S. Both needles going through the same hole, in oposite directions.

If I understand your images corectly, this is what you want. v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

Two threads, both making an S. Both needles going through the same hole, in oposite directions.

thats what i'v been trying to do but when i make it, it's easy to pull apart, can't hold much weight so it sucked big time, if there is a better way you know of let me know! i recently learned about both saddle stitch and backstitch but have yet to try them out, i will go down to my local cobbler tomorrow and ask for some spare cut offs he has, i will practice on those so if you know of another way of stitching i would love to try it out

well when i first started i had no knollege of stitching or leathercraft, my reenactment group said it's better if i make my bags myself for more originality and to learn an amazing craft, problem is now i had messed up a lot of leather (quite expensive on my salary) so i wonderd if someone could explain or better yet send me a pic of what a good stitch might look like and how to do it i will be very thankfull! i haven't got photos but i can explain the way i did my first bag.

i punctured the leather and thread through the hole, through the next peice of leather to join the two and then punctured the other end and went through in reverse, double stitch too.... wow that sounds confusing.

.^. .^. .^.

_ v_ v_ v

like that ---^ (ignore the "_" lines they just keep the bottem row in place) the dots being the holes and the arrows being the thread. imagine that with the leather on it's side so you barely see the leather ----- <-- like that.

but it's not very strong!

FWIW; one thread, needle on each end. Center the thread in the first hole. First needle through the second hole, second needle through the same hole from the opposite side, pull tight. On to the next hole, do the same thing. You can do it from the inside and turn the bag out,and no stitches will show, if so desired. Mike

Edited by katsass

FWIW; one thread, needle on each end. Center the thread in the first hole. First needle through the second hole, second needle through the same hole from the opposite side, pull tight. On to the next hole, do the same thing. You can do it from the inside and turn the bag out,and no stitches will show, if so desired. Mike

yeah i think thats a saddle stitch correct? i have yet to try that out, thanks for the comment!

Take a look at the tutorials here: http://www.bowstock..../tutorials.html. They're pretty useful!

wow thanks! some cool stuff on that!