Wallets

I made the 2 top down flap ones just as I was starting out. They are my 3rd and 4th wallet. At that time, I was using the smallest size Al Stohlman hole punch for making stitching holes. Which looking back, is still too big to look nice.

The latest one, the black veg tan, I made stitching holes using a pricking iron made of carbon steel, which I bought off Ebay. This is my 7th attempt at a wallet. On hindsight, I could have made the left card slot bigger so that card sits deeper.

Belts

I made the Maori pattern up on paper and transfer it to the belt then worked on it using a beveler and backgrounder. Then this and a plain belt is treat to some sponge work with Eco-flo bison brown dye.

Baby Mocs

Did some models using paper before attempting on suede. Model patterns were way off as paper is hard and doesn't come close to suede. Anyway, decided to trim as I go, and finally got this on my 3rd attempt. Just in time for my newborn nephew. But after looking at the prices online for suede baby mocs, decided next time, it is better to buy than to make.

Zippo

Saw a Youtube video on herringbone stitch method. Mainly used for covering handles with leather. But I didn't have anything with a handle to cover, so my Zippo became the guinea pig.

Suede Pouch

Just messing around on a lazy afternoon with some bone beads.

post-18459-073294700 1293796424_thumb.jp

post-18459-038132900 1293796434_thumb.jp

post-18459-052456000 1293796442_thumb.jp

post-18459-088839100 1293796448_thumb.jp

post-18459-028099500 1293796511_thumb.jp

post-18459-084612000 1293796522_thumb.jp

post-18459-064149900 1293796650_thumb.jp

post-18459-038293400 1293796661_thumb.jp

Edited by reddevil76

So, how long have you been doing leather crafts. The work look really nice, though I am not sure that what is called a herring bone stitch is really a herring bone stitch. The herring bone I am familiar with creates a pattern that looks like the "V" of the fish bones. Have you tried using a sewing Awl?

BillB.

So, how long have you been doing leather crafts. The work look really nice, though I am not sure that what is called a herring bone stitch is really a herring bone stitch. The herring bone I am familiar with creates a pattern that looks like the "V" of the fish bones. Have you tried using a sewing Awl?

BillB.

I started in Aug 2010, made a tool bag for my bike simply because i needed it fast and couldn't wait for unpredictable shipping. I live in Singapore where an item on ebay could go for $18, and shipping costs $20 and takes 2 weeks. (imagine the shipping I pay for Tandy to ship me tools and leather :thumbsdown: )

I try to get my leather from a local shop that makes holsters and such for the local force. But they are cost conscious, so most of the buffalo leather they stock, have so much defects that it might just be worthwhile for me to ship better leather from overseas myself. But the time I work around the defects, not much leather left. And I certainly don't wish to put in days of labour for the work to be let down by poor leather.

It doesn't help that all their leathers are 6-7 oz and above. I could spend half the time just skiving down the leather with the Tandy hand skiver for the card slots where it needs to be thin. Understandly, alot of leather were wasted when the skiver cut through and i had to start all over again.

I found Springfield leather on this board and am now working with them to get some Hermann Oak. Can't wait!

Anyway, these were made in my 3rd month, around October. I made the last black wallet in Nov and have stopped because I was out of leather and broke. I have some money from a part time trainer job coming in end of Jan. So I figured I could purchase some hides from Springfield and charge them to the card first.

Regarding the herringbone stitch, I saw this on a Youtube video and followed accordingly. It could be wrong for all I know. Would you care to share some pointers?

I have not tried a sewing awl as i like the stitching holes to be neat like what a pricking iron does, and besides, none of the stuff I make has load or tensile considerations.

I really like the wallets. This style of wallet has always been a favorite of mine. I read in your post that you waiting on some leather from Springfield Leather. I deal with them (Springfield Leather) on a weekly basis and live here in Springfield. I can tell you that you wont find a more knowledgeable group of people and great variety of leather. Herman Oak is what I use and the finish of there Veg Tan leather is the best I have seen. The coloring they use at the tannery is different from any others I've worked with. The hides have less flaws and markings then other types of veg tan I've used. If you ask for the top grade you won't be disapointed.

I really like the wallets. This style of wallet has always been a favorite of mine. I read in your post that you waiting on some leather from Springfield Leather. I deal with them (Springfield Leather) on a weekly basis and live here in Springfield. I can tell you that you wont find a more knowledgeable group of people and great variety of leather. Herman Oak is what I use and the finish of there Veg Tan leather is the best I have seen. The coloring they use at the tannery is different from any others I've worked with. The hides have less flaws and markings then other types of veg tan I've used. If you ask for the top grade you won't be disapointed.

Thanks for the compliments. :thumbsup:

Though I haven't got my hands on the Hermann Oaks yet, so far my correspondences with them have left a lasting positive impression of the company. Both Kelvin and Jill have been very professional and accomodating! Anyway, they have recommended me the Hermann craftsman side for my budget and needs.

My only concern now is that the Herman Oak pics on their site shows a relatively darker brown color as opposed to most veg tans. I have on hand some tooling calf from Tandy which I am gonna use for making card slots. (I used to thin 5-6oz buffalo using the TLF Super Skiver for the card slots portions and ruined alot of leather in the process)

My worry is that the Hermann Oak is gonna be much darker than the tooling calf I have, and the whole wallet is going to end up unintentionally 2-toned.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the herringbone stitch. I am familiar with the herringbone weave pattern that my wife uses in her weaving and the herringbone stitch used in embroidering and cross stitch. I also had it on my leather laced motorcycle levers (brake and clutch) on my HD. I have never seen it used to join things. Here is are some web site that shows the basic stitch pattern.

www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/stitches/herringbone.html

http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/herringbone.html

The definition in weaving is "(textiles) Broken-twill weave giving a zigzag effect produced by alternating the direction of the twill, like the skeleton of a herring."

Here is a website that shows the herringbone twill pattern:

www.search.com/reference/Twill

The chevron pattern is the herringbone.

I have added a picture of some motorcycle levers laced creating herringbone pattern with the brown lace in contrast to the black lace.

So on your lighter case, I was trying to find the chevron pattern common with the herringbone.

BillB

post-5577-047180200 1294249310_thumb.gif

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the herringbone stitch. I am familiar with the herringbone weave pattern that my wife uses in her weaving and the herringbone stitch used in embroidering and cross stitch. I also had it on my leather laced motorcycle levers (brake and clutch) on my HD. I have never seen it used to join things. Here is are some web site that shows the basic stitch pattern.

www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/stitches/herringbone.html

http://inaminuteago....erringbone.html

The definition in weaving is "(textiles) Broken-twill weave giving a zigzag effect produced by alternating the direction of the twill, like the skeleton of a herring."

Here is a website that shows the herringbone twill pattern:

www.search.com/reference/Twill

The chevron pattern is the herringbone.

I have added a picture of some motorcycle levers laced creating herringbone pattern with the brown lace in contrast to the black lace.

So on your lighter case, I was trying to find the chevron pattern common with the herringbone.

BillB

Thank you! I learnt something new again :You_Rock_Emoticon:

BillB

By the wya, just for interest, here is the video where I learnt the stitch.

Maybe the author of the video got the name of the stitch wrong. But whatever it is, it seems useful when you need to cover handles or anything like a tube which requires you to tension the material as you go along.

Anyone knows the correct name of this stitch?

those cool conchos again. lol. i've got a few mexican coins that i'm going to make into conchos. those look sweet because they're brass.

nice looking wallets. i'd like to make a wallet of that style for myself. but i really like the folding type that fits in the rear pocket of my jeans. just can't break that old habit.