MatthewD

Mounting saddle bags

I am thinking about making myself a small set of saddle bags for my Shadow and I think I want to just have the throw over type without any extra mounting hardware. Where exactly do I put them, I am thinking it was under the seat but just wanted to make sure before I made them

That depends: do you want to leave them on the bike all the time, or do you want to take them with you? If the former, then they go under the seat. If the latter, then they just throw over the pillion, but you should tie them to a sissy bar or something so they don't come off.

Or you can have the best of both worlds, and put snaplinks on the yoke that goes under the seat, and d-rings on the back of your bags. Then they're easily removable, but they won't fall off while you're in motion. That's what I want to do with the bags I'm working on right now.

Edited by tashabear

thanks Tasha...

hey are you on another board Beginner Bikers by chance?

Hee! Yeah, that's me! Small internet, ain't it?

In regards to making your throw-over bags. If they will only be used on your bike, don't bother making the yoke in 2 pieces laced together. The laces will rub a dull spot in your paint. This will happen anyway, but lining the yoke with suede or felt can help avoid that. Also, get mounting brackets for your bike and place your ties where they will tie snugly to the bracket. I prefer punching 2 3/4 inch slots and running a buckled strap though from the inside of the bag, so the buckle is inside.

Tashas idea is a good one, but I've found that most people either leave their bags on all or most of the time, and when they remove them they don't want the yoke staying on the bike. Some bags come with separating zippers on the yoke to romove the bags, but in the time it takes to get the bags on and off, it's easier just to lift the seat and take the whole set off.

Tashas idea is a good one, but I've found that most people either leave their bags on all or most of the time, and when they remove them they don't want the yoke staying on the bike. Some bags come with separating zippers on the yoke to romove the bags, but in the time it takes to get the bags on and off, it's easier just to lift the seat and take the whole set off.

Not on my bike, and when I'm traveling, I *do* want to take my bags in with me. I have a sissy bar and luggage rack that interfere with easy access to the bolt that holds my seat on, and lining everything up again on the rare occasions when I do remove the seat is a major pain. And since zippers are such a pain themselves (not to mention a point of failure), snaplinks are an ideal solution.