JohnBarton

For, um...Insanity

Y'all know we spend too much time on these forums, and sometimes we go insane with the things we post. Well, Doug and I go back quite a ways to when RSB rec.sport.billiard, a usenet group (now that's showing some age in internet terms) was fun more than a decade ago. We have both gone a little crazy now and then and been basketcases ourselves.

FOR,UM...INSANITYa-F.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYi-B.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYb-FT.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYc-FM.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYd-FB.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYj-BT.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYk-BM.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYl-BB.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYe-L.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYf-LT.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYg-LM.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYh-RB.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYm-R.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYo-RM.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYp-LB.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYv-CARVING.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYq-LID.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYs-INTERIOR.jpg

FOR,UM...INSANITYt-CUES1.jpg

TAMPA-TUBBY-BOB.jpg

Edited by JohnBarton

That is a stunning piece of craftsmanship, truly beautiful. Darryl

Incredible! Absolutely breathtaking! I played competition 8-Ball ("8-Ball Break" Champion) and was a team captain for about 11 years and never saw ANYTHING that commanded my attention the way this does!

Outstanding workmanship!

That is an Outstanding Case, Very Dramatic!

I like that you left it natural w/ just the hi-lights.

When I go to Make a Case, as I'm sure I will, I'm gonna try and pick your brain!

:Lighten:

Man, The amount of talent on this board is Scary...

:evillaugh:

Beautiful, beautiful work.

What else can I say.

Well done.

David Theobald

Yeah that is insane John but also absolutely stunning!!!! :notworthy:

All that tri-weaving look absolutely great and the floral is beautiful.

Once again a stunning case from you!

Hm.. I think it is spelled smörgåsbord where I come from;-)

Tom

Yeah that is insane John but also absolutely stunning!!!! :notworthy:

All that tri-weaving look absolutely great and the floral is beautiful.

Once again a stunning case from you!

Hm.. I think it is spelled smörgåsbord where I come from;-)

Tom

:-) You'd have to know Doug. He is the king of wordplay. Smorgass Bored has been his screen name as long as I have know him.

I should repost the story behind Tampa Tubby Bob - I am sure you all would get a chuckle and appreciate Smorg's humor.

I think a tear just came to my eye...

That case is absolutely incredible. Thanks for making me feel feeble and inadequate.

Allen

Great job.

We need to start a new forum entitled "Masterpieces" for those few projects, like this one, that simply transcend the "Show Off" forum... :) Fantastic job, John!

John,

Very nice. Great triweave execution and case construction. It has an interesting mix of floral styles. Usenet groups <chuckle> have certainly been around a while and like everything that changes they are dropping by the way side for forums like this (except maybe for file sharing).

Regards,

Ben

An absolutely breath taking piece of work! Truly remarkable!

Steve

Wow John, very nice work. That tri-weave turned out great! I'm bettin smorg is happy camper.

Thank you everyone. Some of you have read my bio on here and some haven't. I just want to let everyone know that I don't do the tooling. In my shop I have Zhen Hai Lee doing the tooling, who is one of China's best and getting better daily. However he didn't do this tooling, it was done by a company called Red Sheep that is putting out some amazing stuff of their own. I gave them the design I wanted and we worked together for a few weeks to get it right and they did the tooling on the cut leather that we sent to them.

I am the designer and everything that comes out of our shop pretty much starts in my head. The finished cases are a collaboration of everyone's ideas and work though.

We have some really over the top stuff coming out in the next month. Two cases that are continuations of previous themes with some technical innovations built in that will be cool.

After 18 years making cue cases I am finally in the position I wanted to be in which is to be the creative head of a shop with almost no technical limitations.

At the beginning I did make the cases all by myself, sewing and all. But I quickly realized that this wasn't where my talent lay and that I could do more if I hired people who were good at the technical aspects and I did the design.

I have so so so much admiration for those of you who do every aspect on your work. As I said, in the beginning I did all the work as well and nothing beats the joy and pride when you hand your work to the receipient and they are over the moon happy and you did everything on it.

I won't have that feeling again for a long time unless I "get in the grease" so to speak and make cases by myself again. For me though the feeling of getting out what's in my head through directing our team is nearly as satsifying.

So thank you all for the wonderful compliments. I think you on behalf of my staff who all work very hard to meet mine and your standards and who take great pride in the cases we are putting out.

A quick story to illustrate this:

The other day my wife's mother was on the bus with the purse I showed you here. She works with us and designed that purse. She was complimented on it several times and asked where to get it and with pride she answered that it's a one of kind and can't be bought anywhere. (and she didn't offer to make them one either - we need to work on the customer acquistion part of the business).

So again thank you for the compliments and also thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

What more can I say! :jawdropper:

Awesome

congrats to you and your team.....i really loved your story and your work and i agree with ABN, we need a masterpiece section!!!!

Congrats too a great finished product. You should buy a couple of beers for whoever got that triweave stamping done, that is a really good job.

That basketweave is what I affectionately call the "basketweave from Hell" !! And man did your team do an awesome work on that and the piece as a whole. That is simply gorgeous.

congrats to you and your team.....i really loved your story and your work and i agree with ABN, we need a masterpiece section!!!!

I like that idea too and want to raise the question how would a piece qualify to make it into such a section? Voting, xx number of individual comments (who wants to count them;-), a jury etc?

I'd definetly put my vote on this one!!

Interesting words from you John and it'll be interesting to see what you will come up with!

Keep it up!!

Tom

Hi John,

this case is insane. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I always love to see new work coming from your shop. Can´t wait to see your next masterpieces.

Cheers,

Marcel