Heligan

Faulty Tool

Im a bit concerned about what just happened to my background tool, the head snapped off...I was just hitting it with a mallet (not a hammer or anything weird like that) and it was at a slight angle to get into a tricky area. I cant really understand why this would happen unless the item was faulty, even though it has had a lot of use since I bought it a few months ago.

I sent Tandy an email on 6/11/11 but they have yet to respond. So naturally Im wondering if they are really the best folk to be dealing with now...yes I know its only a few days but I feel a response to a faulty item email should be pretty much instant.

So, where do other people buy there tools (Im in Scotland- UK) and does anyone have any idea WHY the head snapped off?

post-24621-047886200 1320718397_thumb.jp

Edited by Heligan

I've heard of this happening but have never seen it happen personally.

The heads are brazed on to the handle and the whole thing is plated.

You can try Barry King or Hackbarth tools.

I accumulated a lot of Tandy tools when I started out but now I'm building a whole new batch of Barry King tools starting with the most used in my projects. Once I saw them at the Sheridan show I was addicted. Not the highest priced but certainly head and shoulders above Tandy.

Thanks for the replies, Im certainly going to invest in a few tools from both Barry King and Hackbarth.... they just look so nice its hard to resist. Tandy sent me out a replacement (apparently they did try to email me but the emails kept bouncing back- so I got angry for no reason- guilt!).

Weird getting used to a new tool though, even though its an A104 it just doesnt feel the same!

That's the problem with Tandy's tools lately. Lack of consistency. They are great to get started with, but I recommend going into one of their stores and trying out any tool before buying it. Go through every one they have in stock of any particular tool, and only purchase one if you get one that works and feels right to you.

When you're ready to step it up a notch (or several) move up to tools by Barry King, Gomph, Robert Beard, Bob Douglas, Leather Wranglers, or any of several competent, professional makers out there. Lots of information on this site about great tool makers. Research before you spend your hard earned cash

I just got 2 new thumbprints from Clay Miller this week. Very nice, professional tool at a most reasonable price. Turnaround was excellent too. For the price, quality and service, he is hard to beat. You can find him on this site. Thanks Ken.

Thanks for the replies, Im certainly going to invest in a few tools from both Barry King and Hackbarth.... they just look so nice its hard to resist. Tandy sent me out a replacement (apparently they did try to email me but the emails kept bouncing back- so I got angry for no reason- guilt!).

Weird getting used to a new tool though, even though its an A104 it just doesnt feel the same!

Tandy sells lower quality tools for the beginner. If you bought their seven-tool set, you probably got one. Even in their leathercraft starter sets the tools are not as good as what they sell singly. The A104 that came with my deluxe kit wasn't flat on the bottom; that is, if I held the handle completely perpendicular to the leather, the point would go in deeper, leaving me a tool mark I could never get rid of. Once I discovered that, I tried to bend it with some pliers and it snapped off much as you describe. Since I broke it myself, I didn't figure it was Tandy's place to replace it. So I bought one off the shelf. The difference in quality was amazing.

Glen

Tandy sells lower quality tools for the beginner. If you bought their seven-tool set, you probably got one. Even in their leathercraft starter sets the tools are not as good as what they sell singly. The A104 that came with my deluxe kit wasn't flat on the bottom; that is, if I held the handle completely perpendicular to the leather, the point would go in deeper, leaving me a tool mark I could never get rid of. Once I discovered that, I tried to bend it with some pliers and it snapped off much as you describe. Since I broke it myself, I didn't figure it was Tandy's place to replace it. So I bought one off the shelf. The difference in quality was amazing.

Glen

Hi Glen,

It was the deluxe Kit I bought.... and while I was happy with the backgrounder until it broke I didnt know any better. The replacement they sent me is really really naff though (Im thinking its out of the basic kit)!

Luckily I had ordered an a104-2 and am really liking that, the size is great for celtic patterns and getting into carved leaves etc too- BUT MOSTLY its giving a much nicer impression than I got with the previous tools, makes getting a decent background pattern easier- (so I guess that confirms what you say).... but based on what everyone is saying I think moving on to other suppliers is the way to go.

I have to say I think its very short sighted of Tandy to sell really bad tools, if I had tried out leather carving with the really naff thing they sent as a replacement I would have figured I just couldnt do it and given up on the whole idea! I nearly went for the basic kit too (I think I read something recently in Tandy literature about it having much lower quality tools in it).

Im bidding on stuff on eBay sold by the proleathercarvers folk at the moment, hopefully get some decent tools soon.

Edited by Heligan

Hi Glen,

It was the deluxe Kit I bought.... and while I was happy with the backgrounder until it broke I didnt know any better. The replacement they sent me is really really naff though (Im thinking its out of the basic kit)!

Luckily I had ordered an a104-2 and am really liking that, the size is great for celtic patterns and getting into carved leaves etc too- BUT MOSTLY its giving a much nicer impression than I got with the previous tools, makes getting a decent background pattern easier- (so I guess that confirms what you say).... but based on what everyone is saying I think moving on to other suppliers is the way to go.

I have to say I think its very short sighted of Tandy to sell really bad tools, if I had tried out leather carving with the really naff thing they sent as a replacement I would have figured I just couldnt do it and given up on the whole idea! I nearly went for the basic kit too (I think I read something recently in Tandy literature about it having much lower quality tools in it).

Im bidding on stuff on eBay sold by the proleathercarvers folk at the moment, hopefully get some decent tools soon.

I've had to replace the camouflage, the pear shader, and the basketweave in addition to the backgrounder. The shafts on them just started bending. The seeder and veiner have been ok, but I don't use those as much.

Glen

:( Blimey, how long had you had them before that happened?

I keep wanting to post in this and have refrained so far, can't hold it back any longer:

Tandy tools are crap. They are the absolute lowest level of any leather tools made. That said, I totally realize they are entry level tools. Very few people that learn to tool well will be using Tandy tools once they learn what they are doing. Many people are amazed when they pick up some quality tools that a lot of the issues they have with tooling are the poorly shaped tools. Tandy does stand behind their tools. They will replace them with another one when they bend or break. You just need to realize that the next one will be crap too ( I am excluding the tools that come with the entry kit, if you are frustrated with the junk you got buying Craft tools, look at the ones in the kit OMG!). It you like tooling, just realize at some point you will be buying quality tools from someone other than Tandy, they have made a corporate decision to not sell quality.

Jim Linell himself told me I was foolish to be wasting my money on "custom" tools, that all leather tools need to be modified and to just get used to it. I was shocked when I heard him say it. It was during a discussion at a class he was teaching where almost everyone in the class was begging him to put in the word to Tandy to start selling better quality. I have no trouble with them continuing to sell the crappy tools and then also selling a "pro" line too. I have been told that is not going to happen, the margins do not justify it.

People just need to realize that Tandy tools are the Harbor Freight of the leather industry. They sell junk. They sell it cheaply. They sell a lot. If you want better, you need to shop elsewhere and you will also need to spend a lot more.

Aaron

Isnt that is what everyone is saying... maybe I was reading too much between the lines....you certainly come right out with it though LOL.

It doesnt make sense to me what Tandy are doing though and I wonder how they calculate these margins. For instance how on earth can they know how many people are put off carving entirely by really low quality tools... and when you figure in how much anyone serious about leather carving has to spend thats easily hundreds of pounds lost per each one of these customers.

As for serious leather crafters, once we leave Tandy for greener pasturers, do we ever look back? Makes you wonder about everything they sell if they are content just to be a "low cost trying-it-out-to-see-if-Im-any-good first step".

What really annoys me is how they advertise these tools as "an investment for years to come" as if they are quality items... its frustrating as I have already paid my wholesale membership (couldnt just give my business number as it hadnt come through when I was buying most of my kit, so had to pay this first year) so I feel tied to Tandy to get my moneys worth (although to be honest it has probably already more than paid for itself).

Also Im in UK, as far as I can determine anything I need fast has to come from Tandy as they have a shop in UK.

Also there is a wait a bit longer and see issue:

Much of what I need will be dictated by how my style develops and what the demand turns out to be for (Ive only been in business for a month so I havent even done my first craft fair yet... (I need this for market research really to work out demand from listening to comments from customers). .. so now might not be quite the time to invest heavily in quality tools I might never use much.

Some stuff can be said now of course, I doubt the basketweave tool is ever going to get much use by me. It also hard to imagine what I could do that wouldnt need backgrounders, bevellers, pear shaders and seeders now and then... so I think Im going to risk a few of these types of tool from the likes of Barry King, Hackbarth, Gomph, Clay Miller etc.

But right now its a speed of delivery issue, I need tools now to get stock ready for the craft fair on the 26th Nov, so I cant wait for a delivery to crawl from USA...(it takes long enough for Tandy to get stuff to me, in Isle of Lewis, from their England store). So thats just the practicality of it right now.

As I say, after the craft fair Im going to have a better idea of, what demand dictates I need (Im pretty sure its going to turn out to be celtic stuff not my own designs... people are sooo boring) so Im basically window shopping at the better places until then.... Im getting a nice list of them bookmarked though thanks to you guys (nothing like a recommendation to put the mind at ease).

I have also been bidding on a few vintage tools on eBay, I recognise its a gamble as to the wear state of the pattern though.

Edited by Heligan

Much of what I need I have also been bidding on a few vintage tools on eBay, I recognise its a gamble as to the wear state of the pattern though.

I forgot to comment on the older tools. They are generally of good /acceptable quality. If you can find them from the 1960's and older that have not been allowed to rust, they are usually a good choice.

Another stamp maker to add to your list is Elton Joorisity in Canada. Elton is a member here also. He duplicated a stamp for me last summer and I had him make some other sizes to the same specs. He was dead on with them. I just got some wiggler/veiners and a set of turnbacks from him this week.He did a great job on those too.

The tools that come with the Tandy kits are designated with a Z-. Like the picture above it shows a Z-A104. Those are total carp and best returned to the store for replacement with one of the single sell tools. My Tandy manager told me when I asked what the Z- means. It seems a different manufacturer makes them and then are worse than the regular tools you can buy at Tandy.

I did notice that this year Tandy is starting to sell a pro-line line of punches and chisels. The rumor at my TLF store is that will extend to the stamping tools soon. Lets hope so. As noted above some people do not have the option of not using Tandy.

Michael

I was pleased to see that Electrathon added the qualifier as to the older Craftools quality. I, myself stopped buying tools from Tandy through the mail in the late 70's after an extended problem getting a decent rose shader from them. The ones they kept sending me looked more like an oversized background tool in that they were nearly flat, and not curved side to side, and toe to heel like a proper shader. After that, I only bought from the store when I could personally pick a tool from the selection they had on hand. More than once, I left the store without the desired stamp as none were acceptable.

I feel that anyone is better off buying Craftool stamps off of eBay rather than fron TLFs current line of Craftools. I have aquired hundreds of Craftools off of eBay and now can boast of a vintage (no letter prefix) set of all, except a few, of the stamps offered in the Craftool catalogs from 1947 to 1963 when TANDY started adding the prefix number on the tools. Tandy bought out Craftool Co. in 1961. LOL - things went downhill since then!

Anyway, the thing is that a lot of Craftools were bought in the fifties, and many of those are showing up on eBay as the original buyers pass on, and their heirs dispose of their tools. Some of these were well taken care of, others were not. If you just want basic tools like the 104 mentioned above, they can be had for far less than the new price at TLF. Of course, the rarer CC (Craftool CO) stamps can be much more expensive. I urge any members who are interested in buying older Craftools to check out my eBay buying guides at http://search.reviews.ebay.com/members/wy-slick

You may also find various articles on my blog page here on the leatherworker.net to be informative.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=31

There is a Craftool Index that I compiled there of most of the older Craftools. I would also like to encourage readers to post comments and any questions they may have. Also suggestions for future postings they would like to see. And the topic is not limited to Craftools, I also collect Cal-Carved, RBS, Ray Hackbarth, McMillen, and other stamps.

Getting back to the 104 that broke, here are two examples of early Craftool 104 stamps that were sold on eBay. Can you picture either of these two breaking??

Makes a fellow wonder why they stopped making the tool like that and started producing a weaker design tool????

Glad i found this topic about stamping tools.

Most of the time, i carve celtic knots, fntasy creature (dragons, fairys, angels). So i need good bevelers.

I will have about 200" (canadian) for christmas and i would like to know wich stamp makers i can order from?

Wich beveler would you recommended me? I love my Tandy F895, but the smaler one (F890 and 891) are not smooth enough to perfctly overlap and give me to much choppy result.

Once again, many thanks for this great topic.