Sign in to follow this  
Nutty Saddler

Horse Training Eqpt

As a saddler I make mostly horsey stuff , I get to make lots and lots of bridles but don't make training equipment much . I probably make a set ( cavesson & roller ) about once a year. The bulk of the leather is normal 3-4mm bridle bend , the padding is doeskin with the suede side out - this helps to keep the roller/cavesson in position, the pads on the roller are stuffed with sheep wool ( flocking in saddlery term ) . This is the set I made this year - I thought I would put some pics up as it's not the normal sort of thing made .

Lunge cavesson on the owners horse

GazdagLungeCav.jpg

Lunge cavesson

LungeCavesson-trainingheadcollar-1.jpg

Training roller - top part

Finishedrollerandgirth24.jpg

Girth part

DSC05508.jpg

Girth part being made

Gazdagsrollergirth.jpg

Training roller complete ( during manufacture )

Finishedrollerandgirth42.jpg

One of our own horses acting as a model

DSC05510.jpg

Edited by Nutty Saddler

Those are both great! I particularly like the surcingle (roller). A lot of the rollers manufactured today seem to have put no thought or pride into the design process. However, it's pretty clear you have a good grasp of what training tack is supposed to be like. This one looks like it'll last at least a lifetime!

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the hardware for the caveson nose?

Alberta Bound , Thankyou for the compliments , I do take a lot of pride in my work - and as a horse owner I also understand what a horse means to some people ( I had my first horse for 19 years ) - sadly much of the saddlery today is mass produced , and many places that produce saddlery have no idea what a horse looks like , to them it is just a product that can be made for profit . I would imagine that someone who hand tools western saddlery feels the same.

I have no problem in telling you where I get my hardware - I have been using a company called - ABBEY Saddlery and crafts - they are based in Knutsford , Cheshire , England . Web address -- http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/ -- . Unfortunatly some of their buckles are of chinese origin ( but still OK ) as many if not all of the manufacturers in the UK have gone out of buisness due to cheap imports . A lot of their brasswork is made by them or is made by a local firm that still operates as the brass fittings being imported were rubbish.

If there is anything else you would like to know please don't hesitate to ask me.

Nutty

Alberta Bound , Thankyou for the compliments , I do take a lot of pride in my work - and as a horse owner I also understand what a horse means to some people ( I had my first horse for 19 years ) - sadly much of the saddlery today is mass produced , and many places that produce saddlery have no idea what a horse looks like , to them it is just a product that can be made for profit . I would imagine that someone who hand tools western saddlery feels the same.

I have no problem in telling you where I get my hardware - I have been using a company called - ABBEY Saddlery and crafts - they are based in Knutsford , Cheshire , England . Web address -- http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/ -- . Unfortunatly some of their buckles are of chinese origin ( but still OK ) as many if not all of the manufacturers in the UK have gone out of buisness due to cheap imports . A lot of their brasswork is made by them or is made by a local firm that still operates as the brass fittings being imported were rubbish.

If there is anything else you would like to know please don't hesitate to ask me.

Nutty

Nutty, that's a tremendous job. I'm thinking hard about having you make me a set just like that. I have a 2 year old I'm starting this spring and would be tickled to have some of your work hanging in my tack room. How much would you charge for the set? Also, the hinged piece on the noseband, what is that called?

Thanks,

Nathan

Hi MT3Geiger

Again thanks for the comment , the hinged metal part in the middle is what we call a Lunge Cavesson Iron - some of the manufacturers make them without the hinge , it is one of the items that I get from Abbeysaddlery that doesn't appear in their catalogue but is sold by them.

could you please PM me your e-mail address and we can talk prices

Hi Mr Nutty Saddler from Hungary,

Very nice job,

Especial the roller, can see you use your stuff.

Rings where we need them and reinforced where it needs to be stronger.

Shaped girth looks comfortable too.

Extra d rings next to the caveçon iron is certainly an idea.

So you were not able to source a brass caveson iron either ????

(I personally now use a "Vienna" type cavecon with an added cheekpiece for a full cheek and double broken snaffle.)

As a matter of interest I would like to know for how much you sell the set

(I'm not buying nor selling) just making things alike for my friesians.

Best regards

Aart. (Somewhere in Southern France)