LeenieBean

My Very First Browband Headstall Ever!

I've done a few projects along the way to get to this point, some knife sheaths, belts, cell cases, wallets, halter, dog collars. This is the project I was aiming to do, a handmade bridle for my horse, a 2 year old buckskin few spot appaloosa, Ned. Made with 10-11 oz tooling leather.stamped and handstitched. Conchos and buckles are tandy leather's diablo set. I've yet to try it on him but will take pictures when I do!

done5.jpg

done4.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

I tried it on my horse today. He doesn't look impressed LOL I have to make a couple minor modifications. I need a couple more holes on each end of the crown piece because its a bit too big. I also need to modify where the throat lash and crown piece slide through the brow band on both sides, I need the brow band crown piece to crown piece another inch or two wider. I will also be adding a 1" concho where the brow band and crown piece intersect on both sides. are the buckles in the right spot on his face? any suggestions?

182636d1379890932-my-first-handmade-headstall-firsttry.jpg

I'd say that was a good first effort! In terms of the buckle placement, the english world says that ideally the cheek buckle is roughly in line with the horse's eye. As such, your buckles are quite high.

That said, practically, as long as they're not pressing into one of facial crest ridges, you should be fine.

Here's a photo of one I made for my two-rein horse earlier this year.

post-5885-0-13987700-1380032385_thumb.jp

My self, I have more complaint about how close some buckles get to the eye.

Usually because the brow band is to short. I actually prefer the buckle above or below the eye. Never near or adjacent to it.

If a horse rubs it's face on something, a buckle near the eye can become a hazard to it's eye.

At least in my opinion.

'Course I don't ride in the English world.

LeenieBean

Your halter looks good for a first time effort. Like I said, I like the buckles high, or down below the eye, nearer to the bit loop.

The throat latch looks to be in the right area to me. Quite a few I have seen hang loose and might as well not even be there for all the good they would be at preventing the headstall from coming off.

As far as the brow band goes, I wouldn't adjust the brow band that would bring the cheek piece any closer to the eye.

The headstall I have pictured below is being worn to close to the eye for me. Lots of people think nothing of it though.

Just my opinions of course.

Joel

post-11406-0-16747800-1380145034_thumb.j

Edited by GrampaJoel

For a first bridle that doesn't look half bad at all! Certainly more to look at than my first. But I do agree with the others; those cheek pieces are quite long. The crown is a hair short and the throat may be also? I'm not used to large buckles myself, so I'll just say that if they're staying out of their eyes, and not pushing into their ears they are probably alright. Keep up the work and remember, measure 20 times and hopefully cut once! ;P

wow its been a while since I checked up on this thread. Thank you for your replies and tips!

I agree I don't like the buckle placement, and quite honestly I ride english most of the time, but have a very western type horse I wanted to use it as an opportunity for creativity with some leather working. what I also have found is that the crown piece is quite long as well given the over heavy buckles the ends end up kind of flapping around which I dislike. I adjusted the browband by removing the stitches that divided the crownpiece from the throatlatch, restitching leaving a slot at both ends. It measures 15.5" across, which would be a pretty standard cob size, but my horse seems to have a bigger forehead than I expected and I won't use it on him, unfortunately as it pulls the crown piece into the back of his ears and pinches. I have yet to try it on my more delicately structured arab cross but I expect it would suit him better. I can easily shorten the cheek pieces to fit him. Here is what it fits like after the adjustments.

1461216_10153472910815383_1680870792_n.j

Looking better with the adjustments. I'm also more used to English equipment, and always think Western tack could use some strap keepers. If it helps any with the browband measurements in the future, add 8-10" to what you think the finished size should be, and if you're using a wider crown piece or having separate crown/throat slots, a couple more extra inches on top of that will help to start from. Easier to take away as you go than get to the finished product and find you need more!