I am new to motorcycle seats. Is there any reason why I CANT use chaps leather for a seat? The people at the leather store told me that chaps leather has oil in it and that was NOT good. I wanted to use it because it was cheaper that "motorcycle leather". ANy help or comments are appreciated.

cazador1022@yahoo.com

I just re-built the seat to my goldwing with chap leather and it has worked out quite well. Just be sure to give it a good protective coating to help with the water spots when it rains. I went over all of mine with Neat Lac that gives it a good moisture protection.

I just re-built the seat to my goldwing with chap leather and it has worked out quite well. Just be sure to give it a good protective coating to help with the water spots when it rains. I went over all of mine with Neat Lac that gives it a good moisture protection.

Thanks

chap leather a lot of times is the same a upholstry leather unless it is an oiltan leather but it should work just fine on seats i use it to recover and it holds up nice. Bronc

Randy,

I am new to this craft, zero leather experience, some with upholstery but not a ton. I want to re-cover my seat on my Harley and was wondering how you would rank the difficulty. I'd like to do some tooling on the seat if possible.

The attached photo is what my seat looks like.

post-59780-0-61443400-1424127094_thumb.j

Hey Ambitious1

If you are happy with the shape and want to keep the original foam intact, you will be way ahead. I have found that reshaping the foam is the most difficult part. I bought some vinyl on eBay to practice sewing the cover instead of experimenting with expensive leather.