barra

Strangest item we've made

This was brought up in the Sept challenge post. I thought it might be good for grins and giggles to have a seperate post.

Up there on my list is the artificial leg for a pet chook (chicken). I'm sure it only prolonged the time it took to get it into the soup pot. Closely followed by the doggy diaper for an old incontinent dog.

Barra

We once made a prosthetic boot with a sole made of tire tread for a man who was terrified of falling down in a store with smooth floors. We made a strap for a one-armed baseball pitcher to help him get his glove on faster. I have made several collars to keep dogs from bothering a healing wound, and I have made breastplates so dogs didn't get gored by wild boars. Jon once fashioned a toilet seal out of veggie tanned because he didn't want to be bothered driving 50 miles to a hardware store. To be fair, I wasn't home, but it was our only toilet. I sewed a thousand elk teeth on an Indian dress once, then danced at the wedding pow wow. Good topic Barra, brings back some memories!

Johanna

I HAVE MADE A COWBOY HAT FOR AN ORAGN GRINDERS MONKEY AT ONE TIME IN MY CREATIVE STATES.........DAMM I WISHED I COULD FIND THE PHOTO..... :jawdropper:

a collar for a lizard.

We once made a prosthetic boot with a sole made of tire tread for a man who was terrified of falling down in a store with smooth floors. We made a strap for a one-armed baseball pitcher to help him get his glove on faster. I have made several collars to keep dogs from bothering a healing wound, and I have made breastplates so dogs didn't get gored by wild boars. Jon once fashioned a toilet seal out of veggie tanned because he didn't want to be bothered driving 50 miles to a hardware store. To be fair, I wasn't home, but it was our only toilet. I sewed a thousand elk teeth on an Indian dress once, then danced at the wedding pow wow. Good topic Barra, brings back some memories!

Johanna

Requesting pictures of the dog armor! :P

When I was just a lad I worked in a harness shop. An absolutely 'drop dead gorgeous' young woman came in one day and threw a handful of leather straps on the counter and said could I make another set just like it but in shiny red patent. Well, I held it every which way, up to the light and even stood back at a distance but couldn't work out what it was. I told her that I would gladly make another but it would be helpful if she could tell me what sort of animal it was for.

She smiled, reached into her bag and passed a photograph across the counter - boy were my cheeks red! She was an 'exotic dancer' and this was her costume...

OH !... MY O MY :rofl::jawdropper:

Have I shocked you Cousin? I'm soooo sorry - I was a very naive, spotty lad at the time and I simply didn't know where to put myself! :wub:

It wouldn't happen these days... for lots of reasons!

LOL A friend was coming home from the hospital (which was out of state) from having prostate surgery. A few of us got together and made dinner for his wife and him plus we bought him some gifts to cheer him up. I decided to also make him a joke gift. I took some leather and cut it out in the shape of a ... well it was about 7 inches long and an oval base that I cut two holes in. I then lined it with sheep's fleece and hooked up some straps to be looped around a belt. I told him it was to help him stay up.

It got a huge laugh. The poor guy's sides were hurting him from laughing so hard. We were afraid he's rip his stitches out. :rofl:

ArtS

I would like to see pictures of the dog armor as well!!!!

also you can google to get a general idea of what type of gear this is...hog hunting "cut gear"...aka cut vests, cut collars...most are now made with of kevlar and such...lighter and cooler cuz heat stroke is a big factor in hog hunting with the dogs...don't see much made in that way using leather anymore...almost all the related gear is entirely kevlar now...

darryl

Edited by sodapop

also you can google to get a general idea of what type of gear this is...hog hunting "cut gear"...aka cut vests, cut collars...most are now made with of kevlar and such...lighter and cooler cuz heat stroke is a big factor in hog hunting with the dogs...don't see much made in that way using leather anymore...almost all the related gear is entirely kevlar now...

darryl

Living in the northwest I had never heard of such a thing, we don't have many wild boar(None that I know of) in the Portland Oregon area.. I knew dogs were used to hunt boars but never stopped to think about them needing body armor... Thanks Darryl!

Darryl is right, most of the dog gear is nylon and kevlar these days. That job was so long ago that any pics would be 35mm, not digital. I think I could find the patterns, though. We used sole bend, and when it would come back for repairs, we had a new respect for the dogs. I'll hae to look around and see if I have any pics.

Johanna