Sign in to follow this  
rcsaddles

4-H workshop

I have been asked to do a workshop on braidig for some 4-H kids. They will be 9 to 12 years old. My guess is there will only be 5 or 6 kids. I don't really want to do the 3 strand secret braid bracelets but can't come up with any ideas. I'm asking for suggestions that might be fairly easy for youngsters and spark and interest in braiding. Round of flat does not matter but I would stick to no more than four strands.

Any input, ideas, suggestion or such would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Rugged Cross Saddlery

Lewistown, MT

Joe good to see you here! I wish I had some Braiding experience but I do not,I was however pleased that the PIF I sent meets your approval.I'll try to find something in the few books that i have.

What about a dog leash/lead rope (depending on the size of critter the kids are likely to run into)? Maybe out of parachute cord, with a terminal turk's head/crown knot (whatever you call it) on the end, plus a snap. That could be a 4-strand round, which is not too bad to teach.

Joe

Another idea maybe some zipper pulls. Four strand round braid with a simple four bight turkshead and a interweave.

Mike

Joe

Another idea maybe some zipper pulls. Four strand round braid with a simple four bight turkshead and a interweave.

Mike

That's almost what I was thinking, but I had key chains in mind. And they should learn the terminal knot. That will help them do those square lanyard knots. My oldest is always making those and she still can't start it.

Thanks for the input!!!! If we did a four round on a split key ring, it could be either a key ring or a zipper pull. Depending on what they wanted it could be round or flat. Start and finish the flat like a Aussie double ring belt. The round can be finished with a crown knot. I think for the age, I better keep it pretty simple and fairly fast to do to keep their interest. I will keep looking for ideas but have something to go on now.

I knew I would get some inspiration here.

rhall, the shell holder is great. I still have not gotten any pics to post here.

Joe Boyles

Rugged Cross Saddlery

I have been asked to do a workshop on braidig for some 4-H kids. They will be 9 to 12 years old. My guess is there will only be 5 or 6 kids. I don't really want to do the 3 strand secret braid bracelets but can't come up with any ideas. I'm asking for suggestions that might be fairly easy for youngsters and spark and interest in braiding. Round of flat does not matter but I would stick to no more than four strands.

Thanks,

Joe

Rugged Cross Saddlery

Lewistown, MT

Thanks,

Joe

Rugged Cross Saddlery

Lewistown, MT