Rossr

Its A Mystery .....at Least To Me...or What The Heck Is This Tool?

Hi folks,

Recently I bought some tools from a shoe makers shop. This was one of them and I have no idea what it is..it was an add on to some of the other stuff I bought. My guess it has something to do with staples based on the two posts and the anvil looks like a stapler anvil on a common household stapler. The only marking is USM so I assume shoe machine. Anyone have any idea???

Ross

post-39460-0-17715200-1421806975_thumb.j

post-39460-0-79785300-1421806975_thumb.j

Stapler . and I have never seen one WITH staples. The old guys tell me they were used to staple bows and decorations on shoes, and other say that some styles of buttons were stapled on too.

Another use is for making belt keepers with the stapled assembly.

Thanks bruce and Nv!

Bruce I think I may actually have the staples that go with it :) they are a lot smaller then what I have seen on belt keepers. I can see it used for a bow for sure. I will play with it and when I get a chance I will post a pic of the staples.

Ross

I wouldn't use it on the keepers that I make, I use nothing thinner than 7 - 8 oz. and at one time was doing nothing but making keepers for old worn out versions on box store cheapo belts. $5.00 a pop though and it doesn't take much to make one.

I think Bruce has got it about right! I have seen a similar tool for fixing buttons onto shoes, but I think this one - if it's a fairly long staple - would have been used to fix buckles to shoe or boot uppers. I used to have a boxful of button staples, and the quantity on the box was 'One Great Gross'!

One Great Gross that's a neat one. I could see it on a cheapo keeper like that. Here is a picture of the staples and a few in a hunk of scarp. As you can see nothing huge here. No Idea what I might do with it. as you can see some of the staples are rusty. Still a neat tool and I have a bit of a tool habit. :)

post-39460-0-50001300-1421987404_thumb.j