Sign in to follow this  
Bevan

whats the best way to start a bosal , "rawhide core"

could some of you braiders help me out with a bit of info on rawhide bosals please ,, the core i believe is plaited or rolled rawhide??

is there a certain type or thinkness of hide to use ??

could some of you braiders help me out with a bit of info on rawhide bosals please ,, the core i believe is plaited or rolled rawhide??

is there a certain type or thinkness of hide to use ??

Bevan,

I plait my cores for bosals that I want the diameter to be 5/8 of an inch or larger. I use 1/4 inch from the thickest part of the hide and just do a 4string round braid. For a smaller diameter sometimes I will use a twisted core.

Good luck,

CW

Bevan,

I plait my cores for bosals that I want the diameter to be 5/8 of an inch or larger. I use 1/4 inch from the thickest part of the hide and just do a 4string round braid. For a smaller diameter sometimes I will use a twisted core.

Good luck,

CW

Thanks for the reply mate, i have'nt bought any rawhide yet so i dont know where the thickest part is but i am thinking its around about the back area ??

i have only made whips out of roo so this cow thing is new to me !!! i have heard there are a few diffrent ways achive the final piece ,,,, plaited ,,, rolled

so do you plait roo over the top of the rawhide ? I am thinking i will , only because i dont want to do the dye thing !

I am sorry if i sound like a pain in the ass , but i want to make one for the cook ,, but want to get it right ,,, you know what they can be like !!!!!

Cheers for now mate

Bevan

Edited by Bevan

Bevan,

If your making one for the cook you better get it right! The thickest part of the hide is going to be along the topline or the butt area. This is assuming you buy a side or whole hide and cut your own string. I have never used roo but yes you braid it over your core.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

CW

Gday mate , i sure will keep ya posted , i am waiting on some braiding books to come my way before i start , i have order some from Hought Fine art and leather,so it might take a few weeks before they get to Oz.

Cheers for now

Bevan