King's X

Fonts And Leather Work

I have see lettering fonts of different styles and I thought I would start this thread to see what responses I get. So here it is.

What is your favorite font you like to use in your leather work projects? Carved or stamped.

Extra point question, if you want to answer: Why is it your favorite font style?

Thanks in advance to all those that decided to respond.

Happy Carving!

I'll reply man.

First of all, I hate carving letters. But. When I have in the past, I much rather prefer to carve than stamp.

As far as a favorite? No favorite, as it depends on the artwork the lettering is going with. I do however, think that lettering looks best when carved inverted.

post-3955-083398600 1294885448_thumb.jpg

Thanks, KK

I like to do mostly modern script but am trying to get good at edwardian script and seeing as how there are no stamps for them I have to carve them which is good practice for me, lots of scrolls and fine detail, thats why i like it anyway.

bryan

I like to use Print Shop. They have a font called "wired" makes the letters look 3D.

I started using that style to pratice which side of cut that gives me the efect i am

looking for. It traces and transfer good.

Joe St

post-13948-045277900 1294927999_thumb.jp

I like to do mostly modern script but am trying to get good at edwardian script and seeing as how there are no stamps for them I have to carve them which is good practice for me, lots of scrolls and fine detail, thats why i like it anyway.

bryan

BKingery: Do you have an example of this letter or where to find it? I would like to see it.

Thanks.

I like to use Print Shop. They have a font called "wired" makes the letters look 3D.

I started using that style to pratice which side of cut that gives me the efect i am

looking for. It traces and transfer good.

Joe St

Stewart: Tha is a pretty cool font!

Thanks.

Here's some fonts i like to use...

post-4514-026533500 1294992529_thumb.jpg

I can't get it to show up here because I don't know how to convert a word file into a pdf file but it is just a standard font in ms word, I also found it and a bunch of other script type fonts on ez font.com and almost all of them are free.

Bryan

Edited by bkingery

I like the carved letters, much more personal. I use any font I like for the moment and then jazz-it-up with swirls and scrolls or something:-)

BKingery: Do you have an example of this letter or where to find it? I would like to see it.

Thanks.

Stewart: Tha is a pretty cool font!

Thanks.

This is Edwardian:

edwardianfont.pdf

This is a really interesting question, mainly because my arthritis means I find carving letters very difficult (and painful) so I don't have the inclination to carve.

I dislike stamped lettering because with commercially produced letter stamps the kerning is so poor (the gaps between the letters) but find myself forced to use stamps to make a saleable job. I suspect my problem is mostly because I'm trying to produce a low cost commercial product.

In addition, the standard Tandy Leather Factory letter stamps all have the same problem with the Letter I being too wide in comparison with the rest of the set and I can't find an answer other than grinding off the edges of the I stamp to reduce the width.

I'm now using some very old sets of letter stamps (which I seem to remember hand filing to size around thirty years odd ago) that include a rustic style that looks like it is made up from logs, an Old English style that is mostly curlicues and flourishes plus a set of standard Tandy plain, squared sided stamps that I like best.

None of them are a truly satisfactory solution...

Ray

This is a really interesting question, mainly because my arthritis means I find carving letters very difficult (and painful) so I don't have the inclination to carve.

I dislike stamped lettering because with commercially produced letter stamps the kerning is so poor (the gaps between the letters) but find myself forced to use stamps to make a saleable job. I suspect my problem is mostly because I'm trying to produce a low cost commercial product.

In addition, the standard Tandy Leather Factory letter stamps all have the same problem with the Letter I being too wide in comparison with the rest of the set and I can't find an answer other than grinding off the edges of the I stamp to reduce the width.

I'm now using some very old sets of letter stamps (which I seem to remember hand filing to size around thirty years odd ago) that include a rustic style that looks like it is made up from logs, an Old English style that is mostly curlicues and flourishes plus a set of standard Tandy plain, squared sided stamps that I like best.

None of them are a truly satisfactory solution...

Ray

Ray,

I very well may not have old "Arther" as bad as you but it is creeping into my fingers and hands whether I like it or not. One of my reasons for getting into the leather again was to see if it would limber-up the joints a little. Oh yes, they hurt. Some times I have to stop and rub my fingers to just get my mind off the pain. I definitely do believe the tooling and swivel knife work is helping, it is tough, everything worthwhile is, part of the time.

ferg

T'is one of the joys of becoming an old codger, Ferg!

I find soaking my hands in very hot water before starting work helps a bit... there is probably more than a touch of wishful thinking about this though. I started playing the guitar when old Arthur started his nonsense, and I have to agree, moving the fingers keeps 'em going. Sadly I'm still a lousy guitar player!

I find the single finger pressure required when carving most difficult. I have quite recently started losing the strength in my fingers so even tooling is becoming harder - and my tools fly all over the workshop on bad days! LOL

Ray

Ray, I use a plastic rule taped down for a straight line to keep everything lined up and then a wing divider to set my spacing when using letter stamps, that way I don't have to set the stamps side by side and I can get whatever spacing I need between my letters. It takes a little longer to stamp having to place each one seperately. This works well when having to use the same letter multiple times in a stamping. Hope this helps.

Nevada

As to the original post, I too use what ever font I feel matches the piece. It's easy using fonts, you type up what to need to carve in the size that you want and print it out, and you have a ready made pattern. I agree with Kevin, the inverted style looks really nice. When I'm just doing a couple of initials, I will sometimes just freehand it out with pencil and paper. Using a different font, instead of standard stamps, really gives a piece a custom and professional look over all.

I like tattoo style fonts like Shore Leave BB and SkinArt.

Here's a personalized dog collar I made using Shore Leave.

5267635886_f1ac9e375c_m.jpg5267035847_52e249450f_m.jpg

Thanks for all who have commented. Hopefully, this thread will be found by others who just need some direction when it comes to fonts and carving!