Sign in to follow this  
Lurker2

Velcro And Leather?

OK, the noob here has a question. I need to attach loop Velcro to the inside of a belt. Belt is single thickness, so rivets and stitching are both out. Has anyone successfully used glue? I need something stronger than Velcro's StickyBack or heat-activated types.

There may be a better way, Lurker2, . . . but so far I have not found it. I've tried just about the best contact cement I've ever seen and even it would not hold it like I wanted it to.

I made a couple of special cell phone (I phone type) holders for a unique situation, . . . needed flap over the top, . . . velcro to keep flap closed, . . . that was the order.

I wound up contact cementing the things on there, . . . then stitching them.

If I was doing the belt you mentioned, . . . contact cement first, . . . then sew the edges, making it appear decorative.

May God bless,

Dwight

... I've tried just about the best contact cement I've ever seen and even it would not hold it like I wanted it to.

If I was doing the belt you mentioned, . . . contact cement first, . . . then sew the edges, making it appear decorative.

Dwight,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What brand of contact cement are you using?

OK, the noob here has a question. I need to attach loop Velcro to the inside of a belt. Belt is single thickness, so rivets and stitching are both out. Has anyone successfully used glue? I need something stronger than Velcro's StickyBack or heat-activated types.

Lurker, I have made a few 'bucklelss' belts with Velcro fastening. The only way to unsure that the Velcro remains in place is to stitch it in place after cementing. I use 'Weldwood' contact cement........the solvent based version..........you can get it 4 oz bottles. I tried their water based stuff but wasn't too happy with it. JMHO, Mike

I use the same as Katsass, . . . Weldwood.

They have a new product, . . . a gel version. I've used it for a couple of months now, . . . it's good.

But even it won't hold velcro, . . . just gotta sew that stuff, . . . or put some camoflaged or covered rivets in it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Maybe you could hide the sitching with some decorative lace work?

I am assuming you are working on a soft rap around belt worn over clothing and not used to hold up ones pants. It this is the case and all your really trying to accomplish is keeping it from falling off the person, try sewing it on leather the that is the same size of your Velcro to be used, or if need be a in the center of a slightly larger piece of leather. Then glue this to your belt.

(also helps to sew the Velcro to the top side of the leather (smooth side) so the rough bottom side works more into the leather and adds additional holding power. Hope this was of some help.

Lurker,

I am way better at doing dreamcatchers than leather and I use Loctite super dlue precision max (clear- ribbed cap).

I use it for the hanging strap and the webbing also for the beads and stones that are treated in the web plus the feathers.

For my head bands i used it to secure the sponge and velcro fuzy side. I was sewing after glueing the velccro.

I had to reposition one end and i had to use a scaple to shave the glue off. The hard nylon side of the velcro is hard to glue

but it also held. Try a patch first,I think it would work for you. I use 6 Lb fishing line as thread myself.

I lost some weight after retiring and my wedding band kept falling off so i used some artifical snew (spell check dont work)

and used Loctite to hold the wraps and it with stands the water and soap.

Any way give it a try.

Joe St

post-13948-038011300 1283095556_thumb.jp