LilRay

Found A Singer 648 Sewing Machine

Found a Singer 648 sewing machine. Don't even know that it works, (doesn't have cable). I can get cable for $14 but before I spend any money, does anybody have any idea if this thing might sew leather for wallets?

Can't find any specs so I thought I'd ask here.

God Bless, Ray

Found a Singer 648 sewing machine. Don't even know that it works, (doesn't have cable). I can get cable for $14 but before I spend any money, does anybody have any idea if this thing might sew leather for wallets?

God Bless, Ray

Hi Ray, the Singer 648 is a home machine made back in the 60's. I assume that you are talking about the foot control/wiring when you say "cable". You can sew very light leather on this machine, but be looking out for a true leather stitching machine in the future. Thanks, Steve

Old Touch-and-Sew I think. Garment weight only, 33 or so thread is max, anything else will "untime" it.

Art

God Bless, Ray

Hi Ray, the Singer 648 is a home machine made back in the 60's. I assume that you are talking about the foot control/wiring when you say "cable". You can sew very light leather on this machine, but be looking out for a true leather stitching machine in the future. Thanks, Steve

Steve, You're right. I was meaning the controller. Sorry, but I know nothing about sewing machines.:head_hurts_kr:

Old Touch-and-Sew I think. Garment weight only, 33 or so thread is max, anything else will "untime" it.

Art

Thanks fellas! I don't think I'll invest anything into it as it seems for the same money for a controller, I could get a running version on Ebay.

Back to learning to hand stitch!

:D

God Bless, Ray

Art & Steve are correct in trying to steer you away from this machine,the Touch & Sews have plastic gears that will break when trying to sew heavy.I've replaced gears in 100's of them over the years & most people are just sewing clothing.

Get an old Black Singer 15 class with the can type motor on the back they'll sew thinner leather & use up to #69 thread .

Bob

Art & Steve are correct in trying to steer you away from this machine,the Touch & Sews have plastic gears that will break when trying to sew heavy.I've replaced gears in 100's of them over the years & most people are just sewing clothing.

Get an old Black Singer 15 class with the can type motor on the back they'll sew thinner leather & use up to #69 thread .

Bob

Thanks Bob. The machine was found in the attic of the house I live in. No harm, no foul, no money lost.

God Bless, Ray