drh023

Sewing Machine Choice-- Payments?

Hello, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a sewing machine.

I would need it to sew 12-16 ounce leather possibly. Also, I'm wondering distributors or dealers that may take payments if possible, or just someone who wont take advantage of my 'lack of knowledge' in this area!

Thank you in advance.

-Dani

Hello, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a sewing machine.

I would need it to sew 12-16 ounce leather possibly. Also, I'm wondering distributors or dealers that may take payments if possible, or just someone who wont take advantage of my 'lack of knowledge' in this area!

Thank you in advance.

-Dani

Dani call Steve at cobra machine, I have a class4 with eps and it's the best IMHO. And if you live near boston you can try it out.

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines and Techsew are members of this forum also and they both offer leasing through a third party.

I think you will find that most of our dealer friends can work out something affordable for you.

Machine-wise, there are plenty of sewing machines that can sew 1/4 inch, with say #138 thread, or maybe even #207. But, if you meant that you want to sew 12-16 ounce layers together, creating up to 32 ounces, this calls for the bigger 441 clones (Cowboy, Cobra, Techsew), or at least the GA5-1 and CB2500 type machines. Prices for these machines ranges from about $1300 for the CB2500, up to $2700 for a loaded 441 clone (Juki TSC 441).

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you intend to sew and the size of thread you want the machine to handle.

This is just my opinion, but I would not make payments. Save the money up, and pay ca$h. That is how all of my machine shop equipment was purchased. No loans, no leases, no payments. If i could lay the cash down, I knew I could afford it. Less risky too in case something happens to your income stream.

If you cannot afford new, look at used machines. ALL of my machine shop equipment was used when I got it. At the auctions I was averaging 10 cents obn the dollar compared to new. $200 indicators for $20, and a $27,000 CNC torch for $2,700 are just a couple of examples. A couple of years ago I saw a beautiful 441 clone for sale on Craigslist, IIRC it went for $1,200, and it looked new. I bought a long arm Adler patcher from him for $400 with a new servo motor, and table.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

Thank you everyone for your replies!

-Samalan, I have read many recommendations for Steve on other forums, and just couldn't find his name again, so thank you! I have heard great things about him, and know he would be a trustworthy and helpful person to go through. Does he help you pick a specific machine? Or give suggestions?

-Wizcrafts, thanks for pointing out the leather thickness issue, I meant 12+16, so up to around 28 oz total.

-BIGGUNDOCTOR, I have looked for used, I just maybe looking in the wrong places...but I think that comes down to not knowing exactly what I should be looking for! Could you give me some suggestions on where to look for good used machines and supplies??

Thank you again!

Hi drh023. My info is on our banner ads at the top of the page, and in my post. Thanks, Steve

-Wizcrafts, thanks for pointing out the leather thickness issue, I meant 12+16, so up to around 28 oz total.

Could you give me some suggestions on where to look for good used machines and supplies??

Thank you again!

That is what I suspected. 28 ounces is 7/16 inch. You have crossed over into the realm of the heavy stitchers. Furthermore, when sewing this much thickness, one would want to use #277 thread. This is within the realm of the medium-heavy stitchers, like the CB2500 and very heavy duty 441 clones.

We are supported by member dealers who have advertising banners that appear on top of every forum page. Reloading a page brings up a new group of banners. You can get an idea about the machinery being sold to leather workers by reading these banners and clicking through to the various websites.

Once you take an interest in a particular (new) machine, ask for opinions and tips. I guarantee that somebody on this forum will probably have that brand and model.

If you choose to get into used machines, anything goes. Some are diamonds, some are stones. Unless you buy a machine from a reputable dealer, you alone will be responsible for all costs of repairing it, should anything go wrong. Contrarily, all of our member-dealers have an excellent track record of supporting their customers with sewing problems.

Prices vary a little, by brand, model, accessory package and shipping. In the long run these differences are insignificant, because you will get a quality machine and exceptional after-sale service, when needed. These big stitchers will last decades, if oiled regularly and not abused.

If you intend to sew 7/16 (28 oz) to 1/2 inch (32 oz) of leather on a regular basis, a CB2500 or GA5-1 is not the right machine for you. You will be sewing at the maximum capacity, under tremendous foot pressure. A triple feed 441 clone or an Adler 205 or its clones are the better machines. These sew over 3/4 inch, so a half inch won't over stress the mechanism. They can handle up to #415 thread.

-Samalan, I have read many recommendations for Steve on other forums, and just couldn't find his name again, so thank you! I have heard great things about him, and know he would be a trustworthy and helpful person to go through. Does he help you pick a specific machine? Or give suggestions?

-Call steve then get back to us with the good news!

Thank you again!

-BIGGUNDOCTOR, I have looked for used, I just maybe looking in the wrong places...but I think that comes down to not knowing exactly what I should be looking for! Could you give me some suggestions on where to look for good used machines and supplies??

Thank you again!

If you're sewing up to 28oz total you definitely need a 441 clone. As mentioned earlier you could use a medium weight stitcher but you'd be pushing it pretty hard if you're sewing at maximum capacity so you will be better off with a more powerful machine.

drh23.

Maybe you don't stop at the little machines like the 441 clones and just need to go to the Campbell. Wish I had, Still like my CB4500....but want the next one up.

Kevin

The Adler patchers I found were both on Craigslist. The one guy also had a virtually new 441 clone that he sold for IIRC $1,200. My patchers were $400, and $350.

Look in larger city newspapers for industrial auctions-the San Fran papers published them on Sunday most of the time. With my machine shop equipment I averaged 10 cents on the dollar for new. Example; 5'x10' CNC cutting torch that retailed for $27,000, and was only used part of 1.5 years for one govt job, I paid $2,700.

E-bay (not my fave, but they have machines listed.)

Craigslist, for your city, and surrounding areas.

Check with dealers for trade ins, or refurbished units. Price out refurbishing a unit too in case you find a sreaming deal on an older unit.

With any of these options you will need some time to find the deal. If you have a time limit, you may just have to pay for a new unit.

Again, I would look at a used unit, pay cash, build up some sales, and move up if needed. Financially this is much safer than payments. Everything in my shop was paid in full, with 95%+ bought at auctions. We knew we could afford a mchine if we could lay down the cash. When we were told to vacate the building we were in due to the new owners using it for their business, it didn't hurt us. By that I mean we had zero payments to worry about , no loans, no leases, no worries. I have seen too many people get in a hurry, make a couple years worth of payments only to lose all of the equipment due to a shrtfall of income, or other issues.

Hope this helps.