Got a customer asking for a sporran with the Klingon logo tooled on front flap. This is hopefully where the experts can help. I've already started tooling the logo on to 3oz leather but have never dyed leather before. Is Tandy the best place to get dye or is there any other supplier in the UK I can use? And the big question which kind of dye? Yours Hopefully...

Klingon_Logo.gif

post-8448-1236455319_thumb.png

Ok I've tooled the leather but not to happy with result any ideas? What would be the best dye to use to get desired result as pic?

tooling_005.jpg

tooling_003.jpg

post-8448-1236634133_thumb.jpg

post-8448-1236634156_thumb.jpg

Scott:

can you go over the tooling?- the beveling looks choppy, as if you didn't walk the tool. also maybe use a modeling spoon to smooth over the raised areas too.

you may be able to salvage the design this way.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Thanks Russ, this is only my second attempt at tooling so its going to be a big learning curve.

I think to get those different shades of red I would use acrylic craft paints. Also to get the black and grey. You can probably find them at a craft store or maybe even a fabric/craft store. They are not that expensive and come in many shades and can be mixed if needed.

Hope this helps.

Ok I've tooled the leather but not to happy with result any ideas? What would be the best dye to use to get desired result as pic?

Nice attempt! What you might try next time is to get a circle template or use a compass to scribe your outer circles and some inexpensive french curves for the rest of the lines. Go slowly with the swivel knife and use the biggest beveler you have where you can. Tap faster as you move it slowly and you will walk it better. I like the bumpy backgrounding!

SEE the depth of the points that cross over the circles and try to bevel the depth accordingly.

You took on a tricky one for your first attempt but again---not bad!

Try it again- it will surprise you how much better it will be

pete

ps- invest in a modeling spoon of some kind. The peter main tool is great

Thanks for the advice guys, spoke to customer tonight and he now wants leather to be an old ancient brown colour, so as we speak leather is being dyed in coffee overnight. Hope he likes it?

Ok finally got this finished as I have been busy on other gear.

belts_005.jpg

post-8448-1247082798_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty cool, the coffee dye job is unusual and is a very nice color.