Sign in to follow this  
SayNoToPistons

New To Leather And In Need Of Help.

Hi everyone. I have a little hobby on the side which involves sewing shiftboots and handbrake boots for cars. I have done a few vinyl pieces for friends, but I am looking to step things up. I have gotten quite an interest from many people for leather boots for their cars and I might be able to make a very small profit on the side when I have time away from school work.

I would first like to ask what hide should I be looking into. Vinyl seems good enough for most people when it comes to interior boots, but many prefer leather due to the fact that it comforts them knowing they have a leather item. I have compared leather and vinyl boots with my friends, and it is apparent that the difference when installed is unnoticeable to majority of people. Because of this fact, I would like to look into the cheapest hides available. This is where I start to become confused because I do not know which hide is the cheapest. Pig, cow, sheep, or lamb?

Another obstacle I am facing is ordering hide. I do not know where to order from for the best price (quality is not a major concern here). I have looked into Tandy leather, but I am looking for more options. I am looking to make ~ 20 boots a week, and each boot would require about 14x14 inches of leather.

If anyone could help me out for my situation, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by SayNoToPistons

Hi everyone. I have a little hobby on the side which involves sewing shiftboots and handbrake boots for cars. I have done a few vinyl pieces for friends, but I am looking to step things up. I have gotten quite an interest from many people for leather boots for their cars and I might be able to make a very small profit on the side when I have time away from school work.

I would first like to ask what hide should I be looking into. Vinyl seems good enough for most people when it comes to interior boots, but many prefer leather due to the fact that it comforts them knowing they have a leather item. I have compared leather and vinyl boots with my friends, and it is apparent that the difference when installed is unnoticeable to majority of people. Because of this fact, I would like to look into the cheapest hides available. This is where I start to become confused because I do not know which hide is the cheapest. Pig, cow, sheep, or lamb?

Another obstacle I am facing is ordering hide. I do not know where to order from for the best price (quality is not a major concern here). I have looked into Tandy leather, but I am looking for more options. I am looking to make ~ 20 boots a week, and each boot would require about 14x14 inches of leather.

If anyone could help me out for my situation, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have never made either of the items you are considering but.... I think you are totally wrong wishing to make the product from the cheapest leather you can buy. FORGET THAT!

If you want to contribute to a lot of the junk that comes from "over the pond" I guess that is your perogative but don't start out this way or you will likely wind up making no money because you won't have enough buyers to sustain you. Hit the middle of the road on the leather and take the best parts of the hide. Save the remainder for practice.

I could list leather companies but I won't do that because I don't wish to miss anyone. Check the directory on this forum.

ferg

If I chose a mid range hide, which would be suitable? I am unsure which to use, but the areas where the boot will be use is very low traffic. I also tried the directory, but unfortunately nothing showed up within 100 miles of my zip code.

I would think that for a boot, I presume a shifter boot or something like that you would want a flexable leather like a crome tan. There are many very good suppliers of crome tan leather. But if you are not sure what you want I would suggest calling a couple places. If you are on the west coast, call Stiegles www.siegelofca.com

Central call Kevin at Springfield leather www.springfieldleather.com Northwest, call Vandy at Sheridan Leather Outfiters 307-674-6679 All of these people are very leather savy and can answer all your questions.

I am not sure of an east coast supplier but I am sure someone will chim in.

Randy

My suggestion is to find an upholstery shop that does high end work and buy their leather scraps. I have a nearby shop that will fill a large plastic bag (trash bag size) for a $20 bill. Very high quality and he just does not want to toss it. Many of his scraps are about a foot square, too small to cover interiors of cars, plenty big enough for small projects.

I suggest you do not use vinyl. There is plenty of junk sold on the market, lift above that. You may sell to someone what does not understand quality, but the next person seeing it will.