jlb

Saddlemaking books?

Hi all!

Now is the time for everyone help me spend some money (ok,ok, I know a book isn't much money). My b-day is right aroubd the corner and I think I want a book on saddlemaking. (I know a book isn't much of a present, but I just bought a tractor too) So this is where you all come in! I am interested in saddlemaking and have done a few small tooling projects, so I am a BEGINNER. I know of a few: Al Stohlman's, Dusty Johnson, Harry Adams Jr's book. Please comment on these and any other that you think would be worthwhile for a beginner.

Thanks for all your help!

Jeff

I bought all 3 of the saddle making encyclopedias by al stohlman and I love them. a local saddle guy told me about the intructional series by dusty johnson, which comes with full size patterns. his number is 1-800-571-0021. it costs about $65.00. I hope others contribute to this post as I am looking at making my first saddle within the year and am looking for resources too.I like to educate myself first before I tackle something tho, so lets see what else is out there.(by the way, wait to buy the al stohlman encyclopedias until they are on sale. 80 bucks a piece is a chunk of change.they usually go on sale about 3 or 4 times a yr.)

I am a novice at saddle making myself, currently working on saddle number 4. I do have quite a bit of experience repairing saddles, and a lifetime of making my living riding them. I think I read and viewed most of the books and videos/dvds on the subject. For me, the most helpful resources have been the Stohlman series of books, and the Jeremiah Watt dvd. The Bruce Cheany videos covered some things on building swell forked and cutting saddles that was helpful. Good luck with it.

For books, the Stohlman series and the Harry Adams book. Both.

'For the videos, I like Jeremiah Watts best, then the Dale Harwood for a little more finesse deals. They don't give either of these away, but you should learn enough to pay for them both off the next one. Bill Gomer's set would be third set to buy. Save your money on Dusty Johnson's saddle set.

Biggest thing with all of these is to remember this is how they do or did it. They all have their reasons, as do all of us here. Just look at the different ways to do cantles discussed here in the last couple days. Pick and choose what you like and what you are comfortable with. Probably very few of us do everything exactly like we did 10 years ago, but that is when some of these were made. Some things never change and some do.

Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback. A concern of mine is how clear, concise, and easy would either one the books you mentioned be for a beginner. Would a beginner read the book and say, hmmm what is that I need to look it up somewhere else? or is all the info right there in the book?

Thanks again

Jeff

For books, the Stohlman series and the Harry Adams book. Both.

'For the videos, I like Jeremiah Watts best, then the Dale Harwood for a little more finesse deals. They don't give either of these away, but you should learn enough to pay for them both off the next one. Bill Gomer's set would be third set to buy. Save your money on Dusty Johnson's saddle set.

Biggest thing with all of these is to remember this is how they do or did it. They all have their reasons, as do all of us here. Just look at the different ways to do cantles discussed here in the last couple days. Pick and choose what you like and what you are comfortable with. Probably very few of us do everything exactly like we did 10 years ago, but that is when some of these were made. Some things never change and some do.

Jeff,

For books - the Stohlman series are about as complete as it gets. They show several methods of doing things. Some of what they do is pretty labor intensive, or dated. Most is pretty applicable, and the principles are sound. The thing to remember (and I catch crap for this about every time I say it) is this. Al Stohlman was A saddlemaker, not THE saddlemaker. He was in the right place at the right time, and got the instructional deal going with Tandy long before the saddle books. Like everyone else who has ever written anything, there are always guys out there making a living who are better, and were better in his time as well. They may do things the same or different. Just because he wrote the books doesn't mean he was the end-all. Most of the stuff in the books is fine.

The Harry Adams book assumes some previous leather working skills and saddle knowledge. It is more of a "how to build a Wade and make up your own patterns" book in the first part. The second section covers how to do variations in swell patterns, horn covers, skirts, etc. Pair the Harry Adams book up with the Stohlman books and you have a decent library.

Jeremiah Watt's videos are again pretty complete. He gives some of the reasoning, noit just "do this just like this" with no background as to why. The Dale Harwood DVDs are good for some of the detail work and techniques. You couldn't probably make one from from Scratch from Dale's set, but you should pick up enough tricks and tips to make the next one better.

The second part of your question is the milllion dollar question. No, I don't think a beginner could get everything they need from any of these books or videos. Philosophy time. I think you need to know how a saddle functions, why, how to order what you need, why different seat shapes improve or make a particular discipline more difficult, what you want a saddle for, and how to deal with what your customer expects from their saddle. You have to know what you want the final product to look and function like. These are intangibles that come from time in the saddle. They aren't things you can read about, learn in 2 weeks at someone's saddle school, or learn everything in a lifetime. There is also no substitute for spending time looking over someone's shoulder, having them help you, and hands-on. Saddlemaking is not just about covering a tree with leather. People and horses both hurt when something isn't right. The mechanics are a huge part of it. It is also pretty rewarding when you see your work a few years later. He tells you that it is the best sitting saddle his dad has ever ridden in too. Happened last weekend, and my wife got a picture. I'll attach the pic. He seems like a happy customer. Makes it worthwhile.

IMG_0594__Small_.jpg

post-29-1204903133_thumb.jpg

All,

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I will go the the Al Stohlman books initially.

Jeff

Just thought I would add my 2 cents about books. Here in Utah we had a saddle maker by the name of John Hopper who wrote a book which is pretty complete, has lots of detail and he explaines things simple enough for the novice person to understand. It just so happens that there is one of his books on eBay and the price this morning was about half of what I paid for mine 12 years ago. this book is a hard bound book and is well worth the hundred dollars that I bought mine for.

Good luck in you search for just the right book as everyone out there has something that the others don't have or the aurthor explaines something just a little differently that will help you achieve your goal to build your first saddle.

Skip,

Thanks for your .02! I have never heard of this book ( not a surprise, since I'm new to this world) I looked it up on Ebay and it looks great! Let's see what my better half decides.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents about books. Here in Utah we had a saddle maker by the name of John Hopper who wrote a book which is pretty complete, has lots of detail and he explaines things simple enough for the novice person to understand. It just so happens that there is one of his books on eBay and the price this morning was about half of what I paid for mine 12 years ago. this book is a hard bound book and is well worth the hundred dollars that I bought mine for.

Good luck in you search for just the right book as everyone out there has something that the others don't have or the aurthor explaines something just a little differently that will help you achieve your goal to build your first saddle.

No problem just want to help out, I too have the stohlman's books and they are very informative and I would tell anyone that they are a good buy. but I also agree with Bruce that you can learn from anyone and everyone when it comes to leather work. there are things I have learned from the people here on this forum that I have begun to use in my daily work with leather. so keep an open mind and do what my mentor Fred Harsant use to tell me is that "Nothing is impossible"

One other thing about the Hopper book. Probably a third of the book is dedicated to patterns for other gear - saddle bags, hobbles, halters, bucking rolls, etc. I find these a good resource sometimes too.

I like many others here am pretty new to saddle making. I have both the Dusty Johnson book and the Stohlman series. I must agree with Bruce that he was a saddle maker and not thee saddle maker! He has great information in his books, but like stated before some is pretty dated. The whole ground seat section is probably the most dated information, in my opinion anyway. Also his tool for making sure rigging is centered is a bit cumbersome and time consuming to construct. On the whole though I would recommend that one first though.

I bought the Dusty Johnson book first and disagree a little with his order on assembly, dealing with the Horn mainly, I took his pattern for a horn cap and wrap and chucked it out. I'm not saying that this was a bad purchase though, don't get me wrong, I think he explains things very well and I still use a lot of information that I got from his book. I just feel that if a cap is put on properly it would take a serious wreck while roping to dislodge the cap and tear things up. I prefer to have my horn done before I do the swells. Dusty's book says to put the whole horn cap and wrap on after the swells are covered. Yes it would be easy to replace if it ever did come undone, but if you're just making a pleasure saddle it's more appealing, at least to me, to do the swells after the horn.

By the time you get everyone's 2 cents you'll be able to pay for the materials!

Edited by undeberg

Just a word on covering the horn after covering the swell. This is common practice when the horn will have a final wrap with mule hide or latigo. Agreed though, a pleasure saddle should have a standard "wing wrap" before covering the swell.

Jon

Well, if you want something different, how about Ron Edwards books on Australian Stock Saddle Making? LOL! Had to throw it in! (Email me if by some freak chance you want copies.)

Well, if you want something different, how about Ron Edwards books on Australian Stock Saddle Making? LOL! Had to throw it in! (Email me if by some freak chance you want copies.)

It has been mentioned before that saddlemaking is a learning journey that never ends. No one way of gaining information is the be all and end all. Every available method at our disposal should be exploited in order for us to gather the information we are after. We should gather all the books/dvd's/photo's we can. We should attend trade shows and seminars, watch and listen to experienced saddlemakers who all have different ideas, get the perspective of the tree maker, the person who has spent their working life in a saddle, the equine vet. Look closely how items have been constructed when we visit the saddlery. Sit quietly in a comfy chair with a coffee and simply watch how a horse moves or reacts to being saddled or ridden under saddle. All of these methods (and more) will enhance the learning tool box.

To that end I think the late Ron Edwards book on Australian saddle making is a valuable addition to any saddle makers library. He was a very accomplished artist in his own right and illustrated his own comprehensive range of leather work books clearly and consisely. I am sure that if you read his book you would be able to adapt his techniques to western saddle making. After all it is still attaching leather to a tree. You might even see a solution to tackling task X, Y or Z you never thought of.

http://www.ramsskullpress.com/crafts.html

I have attached the link to the rams skull press again for those newer members who may not have seen it. Ron produced as comprehensive range of diverse leather work books as have ever been set to print. All are excellent. Scroll down and listed are the topics covered in his books. His Plaiting/braiding books are very good.

Edited by barra

An excellent book was put out by John H. Beck and was simply titled "Saddlemaking". It is a very difficult book to find and usually quite expensive if you can find a copy but the information in it is excellent. I would say it is the equivalent of the Dale Harwood videos in that a person needs basic saddlemaking skills to get the most out of the book. The man was obviously a saddlemaker who understood his craft and the small nuances that make a good saddle.

Darc

To that end I think the late Ron Edwards book on Australian saddle making is a valuable addition to any saddle makers library. He was a very accomplished artist in his own right and illustrated his own comprehensive range of leather work books clearly and consisely. I am sure that if you read his book you would be able to adapt his techniques to western saddle making. After all it is still attaching leather to a tree. You might even see a solution to tackling task X, Y or Z you never thought of.

http://www.ramsskullpress.com/crafts.html

If you don't like hassling with international payments and customs, I have a few copies HERE in the USA and can order in all the others. :)

Just thought I'd add my own two cents to all this. Back in the 1900's, I was taking a saddle making class at Tandy's when the instructor was transferred to another state, right in the middle of class. I had a saddle half way done. The second half of the saddle was done strictly with the help of Al Stohlman's books. I didn't know what I was doing, but that saddle turned out very well. I won 3rd out of 5 in a saddle show at the state fair. Al is very thorough in his books, explaining every little detail. I highly recommend these books for a beginner.

Kathy

I have all three volumes of Al Stohlman's Saddle Making Encyclopedia that I'm about to put on ebay, unless I can sell them to somebody here.....very good condition, I have refered to them many times over the years. I'm just never gonna get that saddle built, so I'd rather someone that can put them to use, have them.

I will take $120 plus shipping for the set of 3.

Good morning all!!

I wanted to give a quick update and let you all know that my wife took your suggestions to heart. She decided to get my ALL 3 volumes of the Al Stohlman's Saddle Making Encyclopedia.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Jeff

I have all three volumes of Al Stohlman's Saddle Making Encyclopedia that I'm about to put on ebay, unless I can sell them to somebody here.....very good condition, I have refered to them many times over the years. I'm just never gonna get that saddle built, so I'd rather someone that can put them to use, have them.

On 3/26/2008 at 11:29 AM, Rayban said:

Still available???

Hi all, first time here and I've made quite a few bridles cruppers breast plates etc over the years and repaired a couple saddles. However I've never made a saddle from scratch. I'm particularly interested in the cross breed saddles with the skirt, swinging fenders and roping horn of the western saddle but with the Australian seat. Just wondering if anyone has come across any books that are good on making those particular saddles or would I need to get books on both styles and work the rest out myself?