darrellmead

What Do I Use To Glue Leather, Stitch Leather Belts

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I wouldn’t consider what I do leatherwork but I need the help from you leatherwork professionals. My wife saw a rug made from old leather belts. I went to thrifts stores bought used belts and made one for her. I enjoyed the project, (except the trip to the emergency room, story for another post). I glued the belts to canvas using 3M 90 spray glue. The problem was you need to spray both surfaces and the belts would get glue on the sides, then my fingers and it became messy. I tried linoleum tile glue, long work time, only needed to apply to canvas. Won’t completely set and some used belts try to curl.

Can anyone suggest a glue that can be spread with a trowel, that will set within 24 hours that only needs to be applied on one side? Preferable not too expensive.

If not, can you suggest a sewing machine that can sew the belts laying side by side? Again not too expensive. I invision a zigzag stitch to catch the edge of both belts.

Darrell

Most leather glues are like contact cements they need to be put on both sides and can be a mess. As far as sewing you could do it by hand but it will take a LONG time. My suggestion is to tape the bolts.were you don't want glue and use Formica spray glue put it on both pieces let it get tacky peel off tape and put the belt were.you would like it.

There's a trick at I picked up from gutar strap makers. Blue painters tape. You stick it over the side you don't want glued, stained, painted, what have you. Use a rolling pin or similar to make sure the tape goes down down flat and there are no pockets for liquid to run into. Then when you're done the tape will come off clean.

Most everyone here uses contact cement as their leather glue of choice. If you are going to sew, I found rubber cement holds well enough, but keeps things loose enough to work between layers.

Trust me, you do not want to look at the price tags on sewing machines that can handle belt thickneses. Those guys run some money.

Actually, . . . Elmers white glue will do what you want. Or, Weldwood yellow wood glue, . . . put it on the leather with a small paint brush, . . . put the belt down on the canvas, . . . you should be good to go.

I would find a piece of stiff foam rubber if I could, . . . and lay it over the glued belts, . . . leave it for 10 to 14 hours, . . . remove it and the belts & canvas should be one piece.

Depending on the thickness of the belts, . . . you will about 80% chance, . . . be out of luck on the sewing machine, . . . unless you want to spend some serious money. One think you can try, . . . if you have a large JoAnn's store near by, . . . the big ones have people demo'ing the machines. You might take a sample in there, . . . tell them what you need.

I actually have an old singer, . . . and I use carpet thread in it, . . . I can sew most garment leather with it, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the tips, I will experiment with white glue, blue tape and yellow glue. I like the idea of a demo machine. I am just not sure if the thread will add or detract from the look. Dwight, I do thank veterans every day.

Darrell

The thing to remember with standard white or yellow glue is that it will take time and preasure to cure. With material that have that much heft to them, you will need weights to keep the belts down as the glue does its thing.