Sign in to follow this  
Drac

did me first holster tonight

made using 7-8 oz leather with a suede lining and has an extra layer of 7-8 oz leather along the spine for spread support. punisher skull made using a dremel. it has a 30 degree cant and made for a leftie (we're the only ones in our right minds, ya know!) not completely happy with it though so I'll do another one tomorrow before work.

holster.jpg

post-5673-1199958385_thumb.jpg

From one lefty to another, I think that holster's sweet. :yes:

My only question -- and granted, I've never built a holster -- is whether it's wise to use chrome-tanned leather as a lining for a holster. Somehow, that's ringing an alarm bell for me, and I'm not exactly sure why.

Can anyone else chime in?

Alex

looks pretty good... from one lefty to another :yeah:

Chemicals in chrome tanned will evevntually damage the finish of the pistol/revolver But a suede liner? is it chrome tanned also?

Edited by Jordan

I think the only way suede is not chrome-tanned is if it's very clear that it's a veg-tan split, like this, which is not a real commonly used type of leather.

In addition to the concerns about chrome-tanned leather, I think I've also heard that suede traps tiny dirt particles, sand, etc., and promotes scratches...

-Alex

I have to add the holster is very good, I like the design and for a first one it's very well done.

As stated above, chrome tanned leather will eat the finish on most guns and the suede will gather dirt/grit and scratch the gun. The best liner for holsters is 4-5 weight veg tanned leather. Glue the flesh sides of each piece of leather together, then sew and mold. But take heart, the design is very good, clean and uncomplicated!!

If you like making holsters be sure to go to www.pistolsmith.com and look in the holster forum. Some of the top holster makers in the country post to that forum. There is something over 38 pages and there's about 2 lifetimes worth of information in those pages. Great place to learn about holster making.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

so here's the new holster I did the next morning. used the same materials since that's what I had on hand and it's going to get used only occasionally. quite happy with this one.

holster.jpg

John thanks for the site. I'll be sure to check it out.

post-5673-1200330538_thumb.jpg

Chemicals in chrome tanned will evevntually damage the finish of the pistol/revolver But a suede liner? is it chrome tanned also?

Additionally, suede will hold & pick up & hold more dirt & grit than smooth lining.

Regardless of what type of leather is used for the lining, the gun shouldn't be stored in the holster. It's the tannic acid in the leather that will eat your finish.

I only keep my pistols in a holster when I'm at work. otherwise they're either in a case or beside the bed. ('tis better to be 2 noids than one! *I'd rather be paranoid than annoyed* L) these were more of an exercise of seeing if I could do one well or not before getting heavily into it since I tend to be very critical of me own work. but this is why I'm glad I found this site. lots of good critiquing and helpful hints, tips and ideas! like I actually need more ideas of things to make! *L*

Good looking holster, how'd you do the Punisher with a Dremel?

Ken

I printed out the image, cut it out of paper with an exacto, traced it onto the leather with a mechanical pencil, then went over it with what I think is an engraving tip for a dremel fairly lightly held at an angle so it just removed the top layer or so of the pre-dyed leather. had to make sure I had me worklight at the right angle so I could see the pencil marks since I did the tracing faily lightly so I could erase it easily since I only went right up to it and not past it.