UKRay

Canvas Tents / Marquees - Drying, Cleaning And Care

I'd be very grateful for any helpful tips regarding the care of my (new this year) 16ft x 16ft canvas tent which I use at shows. It is currently drying slowly after the Great British Summer... unfortunately it is also covered in a variety of different kinds of mud - sticky clay, sandy mud and almost all the other varieties you can think of.

Any suggestions as to how it might be cleaned without causing damage or affecting the tent's waterproof qualities?

All ideas gratefully received!

Thanks folks,

Ray

post-6314-0-00807300-1350747593_thumb.jp

If you contact the manufatuer thay can tell you the best methods for cleaning and care. If you can not get ahold of them, or made it your self try Panther Tents. They have a reputation for being quite helpful. They may help you with that information, I have not had they funds to deal with them yet so I can not give first hand review on them.

I can tell you how they clean old army tents used by the Scouts here. Some of these tents are old army surplus and have been used extensively in all weather for more than 20 years.

You can get most of the mud off once its dry by holding the fabric taut and whacking it gently with several long dowels that are the slenderest you can find and that are held loosely in the hand. That way, if you hit too hard, the dowels will break rather than damaging the tent. I don't recommend a carpet beater or a broom as the beater can be too aggressive on woven fabrics and can cause microscopic breaks in the threads. Corn brooms also can cause tears and the bristles can be too abrasive. The mud that doesn't come off by beating can be cleaned off by brushing it off when dry by using a horsehair brush, like a brand new horsehair shoe shine brush that has never touched polish. The bristles are stiff enough to work quite a bit of the crud out of the weave, but not so stiff they will tear up or degrade the threads themselves.

Any mud that has worked its way into and between the fibers of the threads will likely leave a stain, and may need careful cleaning and reapplication of the waterproofing. We've had good luck with spot cleaning the stain with a gentle detergent like diluted woolite worked into the stain with the fingers and then by pouring water on just the stain until the water runs clear. The waterproofing we use depends on the tent, tent type, age and material, so it will depend on what was originally used to waterproof your tent, and whether it will need to be brushed, sprayed, soaked, or poured onto the area after it dries.

A good scrub with a soft bristle brush, and soap, not a detergent...Sunlight bar soap would be the best I know of to get the canvas clean. Then, the most important thing is to get it dry, dry dry, and drier. You did not mention if the canvas was treated or not, but even treated, whilst it may not rot on you if put away damp, it will mildew which is even more dificult to clean off than would be the mud. 16 X 16 is not that large, so if you can, find a dry building where it can hang to dry.

Woody

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I don't have the facility to dry the thing under cover so have to rely on the weather being kind - and I live in the UK so that is a rare thing this year!

I'll give the bar soap and brush a go as soon as I can source some proper soap. The mud is mainly on the walls so hopefully not too big a task. Just 64ft of them lol!

If anyone else has any ideas then please add them. It would seem that there is very little information about care and maintenance of canvas on the web - but I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers,

Ray