Sign in to follow this  
J Hayes

Osborne 151 Bag Punch , Sharp As My Elbow !

I got myself two new Osborne bag punches, 1 1/2" and 1 5/8". I have to say I was a bit disappointed, they look crude and are not sharp at all. Anybody else experience this? I kinda just want to send them back to where I bought. The 1 1/2 one wouldn't cut, the 1 5/8" one cut through one layer of 9/10, barely.

Jeremy

You have to sharpen most tools you get.

I've yet to buy a hole punch that didn't require sharpening.

I've yet to buy a hole punch that didn't require sharpening.

You have to sharpen most tools you get.

I suppose, I thought they'd be a bit sharper than the are though, the one has a pretty good nick in it. Kinda like buying a punch "kit" in way.

Thanks guys, I'll know what to expect on the next ones, or just make my own.

Jeremy

i just bought a 2" u strap cutter and the second day chipped the blade on a glue spot on my cutting board.

I bought a pair of punches from a well known custom die maker in Texas (hint, hint) a couple/few years ago and experienced the same thing. The edge had severe grinding marks and wasn't polished at all. The edge was almost blunt - not at all what I'd call an acceptable level of sharpness. I tried to sharpen them myself, but too much material needed to be removed so I finally contacted the maker, explained what I'd done and asked them how much they'd charge to fix what I'd done (was was still miles better than what they originally sent me) and properly sharpen them. The lady on the phone basically told me I ruined them by trying to sharpen them myself. Wrong answer! Another user on this board offered to sharpen them for me and they worked much better after that. I've been using them since then without a problem.

By comparison, I've bought a few punches from Weaver - their "Master" tools. They've been great, and came extremely sharp with a mirror polish. I didn't have to sharpen them at all when I received them - ready to go right out of the box, as they should be.

I recently bought an Osborne bag punch in 1/2" size and it would NoT punch through anything after a few tries. I finally realized that the opening where the leather should eject from was too small and it was basically filled up. Needless to say no matter how sharp it was it wouldn't matter so I had to return it. Next one worked fine.

I have a tormek sharpener that I use to touch up my edges on most of my tools and then use the strop wheel to polish them.

Particle, what punches did you buy from that place in Texas? I have a die coming from a certain place in Texas, I'm hoping it will be ok.

I purchased two slot punches - one was 5/16" x 1 9/16" and the other was 5/16" x 1 13/16" - both had handles attached. I just checked their site and if memory serves, I paid around $65 each for them back then - they seem to be much cheaper now.

Regarding the ejection of the punched pieces - both of my above mentioned punches have the same problem - they get clogged up on the shoulder and weld splatter inside the punch. I can usually keep punching though and they'll eventually push through, but that's going to be totally random unless it's intentionally ground away in the finishing process.

I didn't realize they made slot punches there, although by the sounds of it they don't come highly recommended. I was just curious.

Ok, I see on their site now. Do you have any pictures of what they look like?

I guess I'm glad I didn't order a slot punch from Texas then if those need reworking too. So then you're faced with do I order one knowing it'll take me time to sharpen it or make one? I made a strap end cutter fro a piece of stainless 1" tubing, couple medium taps froma light rawhide mallet and I am through, edge is holding well too.

I did however see some of the Weaver master tools at another guys shop, wow, truely polished to a mirror like finish and one whack on a 3/8 oval punch sent it straight through some 12 oz harness leather and the punch pulled out easily, didn't get stuck in the leather. Nice.

Jeremy

If you can make your own and do it cost effectively go for it. Some will be more difficult than others. I've made larger arch punches like that and I sort of make most of my dies or I should say most of my dies are made in house meaning I bought all the equipment to do it and have a friend do all the work. The one I ordered from Texas was a little more than he could do though.

Bag punches though would be difficult for the average guy to make though I think. I'm pretty happy with osbornes quality, I got a bad one but that doesn't happen often. Just about any cutting tool requires some polishing first, maybe the Master ones don't, if not and they are reasonable priced which I think they are they might be a good choice.

I've been trying to track down my original photos of my punches prior to them being sharpened for the first time, but I can't find them. I'll try to keep looking and post them when I find them.

Bieler's carries some really good slot and end punches. They are a little cheaper than the osbornes and much better finished. The ones I have were sharp right out of the box and have held up well. I bought an osborne 1/2 in bag punch and it split the first time I used it. I also noticed that the end was to small to eject the cut portion. Anytime you can get better quality for less money you better jump on it.

CW

Can you see or order these online? It looks like they are in PA which would be handy to me also is this an Amish run place?

Bieler's carries some really good slot and end punches. They are a little cheaper than the osbornes and much better finished. The ones I have were sharp right out of the box and have held up well. I bought an osborne 1/2 in bag punch and it split the first time I used it. I also noticed that the end was to small to eject the cut portion. Anytime you can get better quality for less money you better jump on it.

CW

After about an hour with my NEW Osborne I think it'll do. 8 blows with a 4 ounce rawhide (bigger mallet at home) and I was through some 5oz chrome tan.

Jeremy

CRW thanks for the tip on Bieler's

post-29226-0-03479100-1358867005_thumb.j

post-29226-0-27188800-1358867022_thumb.j

I believe they are Amish. They don't have a website. The phone number is 717-768-0174. They will send you a catalog. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

CW