sinpac

I Am Looking For A 1911 Holster Pattern

This is the one I am looking for anyone have a clue where I might find a pattern?

TIA,

Chris

post-25805-025171100 1322453734_thumb.jp

post-25805-083659900 1322453751_thumb.jp

Edited by sinpac

I really wished i had the pattern to send you ,i don't.

But to make this holster for the 1911. Get the Al Stolhman book Making Holsters.

there is a flaped holster pattern in the book and also a in detail an article on how you can make the pattern for holsters.Hope this was of help to you.

I really wished i had the pattern to send you ,i don't.

But to make this holster for the 1911. Get the Al Stolhman book Making Holsters.

there is a flaped holster pattern in the book and also a in detail an article on how you can make the pattern for holsters.Hope this was of help to you.

Thanks Luke for the info.

+1

the al stohlman book (pattern book) has a 1911 holster pattern.

also, why just make your own pattern? If you dont know how, then get his book and it will show you. Then you wont have to look for them, but have to tools to make them youself. iirc, i used the same technique to make a flapped holster for my 1911. The only oops was that i made it too snug since i added a lining and i forgot to flip the pattern over for a righty.

btw, get some heavy paper/craft paper and make your pattern with that. if you need to cut/tape on the other parts.

theres another book with 1911 patterns, but its out of print.

Edited by $$hobby

+1

the al stohlman book (pattern book) has a 1911 holster pattern.

also, why just make your own pattern? If you dont know how, then get his book and it will show you. Then you wont have to look for them, but have to tools to make them youself. iirc, i used the same technique to make a flapped holster for my 1911. The only oops was that i made it too snug since i added a lining and i forgot to flip the pattern over for a righty.

btw, get some heavy paper/craft paper and make your pattern with that. if you need to cut/tape on the other parts.

theres another book with 1911 patterns, but its out of print.

Thanks for the reply Hobby. I have made my own patterns for my Black powder pistols I can probably pattern the holster I was mainly interested in the drop part and swivel.

Edited by sinpac

$hobby,

what's the name of that book you're talking about?

Gunter....the book is "How To Make Holsters" by Al Stolhman , this is a great book

the patterns are kinda dated, but enough information to help make you an expert. I M H O

Like this?

holsterflat.jpg

Like this?

This to me kinda looks like a 1860 Army Colt holster. I could be wrong. Thanks for the reply Mrdabeetle.

Does anyone here have an idea where I might locate the brass swivel for this holster. As far as the Drop part of the holster I think I can work that out. I think a dismount holster pattern will work I have that one. I will need to make some adjustments to it.

Luke, I got that book of All, use it everytime I make a holster, either for making a holster out of the book itself or "remodelling" the holster or getting new ideas :-).

Gunter....the book is "How To Make Holsters" by Al Stolhman , this is a great book

the patterns are kinda dated, but enough information to help make you an expert. I M H O

I went on the hunt for the brass hardware for this holster sometime back. No luck!..... Will Ghormley has just done it in a new pattern pack that will be coming out next year through Tandy. He is using a brass rivet and leather to replicate the brass hardware. I have seen this done before and It was not close enough to the original to be done. El paso Saddlery sells a reproduction of the original. I figured with the time involved, all the pattern making, all the waste on prototypes that I did not want to do it for one holster. I bought the one El paso sells, and it is a good quality holster.

Bobby R

I went on the hunt for the brass hardware for this holster sometime back. No luck!..... Will Ghormley has just done it in a new pattern pack that will be coming out next year through Tandy. He is using a brass rivet and leather to replicate the brass hardware. I have seen this done before and It was not close enough to the original to be done. El paso Saddlery sells a reproduction of the original. I figured with the time involved, all the pattern making, all the waste on prototypes that I did not want to do it for one holster. I bought the one El paso sells, and it is a good quality holster.

Bobby R

That sounds like a plan to me. Thanks Bobby.

yessssssssssss, finaly a date, feb 2012!!! yeehaaaa

This is a great piece of history and a fun project. The swivel would be challenging, but the holster itself is what is most interesting to me. I just happened to have one of those old surplus military issue 1911 holsters and decided to copy the style for my ruger .22, just to pack around the yard hunting moles.... yeah, ok, I was a little bored one day.

The unique aspect of the holster for me is the fact that the molding is done on the back side, rather than the front. So, the front is more flat. The other distinguishing feature is that ramp or raised area inside the holster that tilts the butt of the gun outward, apparently to make grabbing it easier when you are in a combat situation.

This is a great piece of history and a fun project. The swivel would be challenging, but the holster itself is what is most interesting to me. I just happened to have one of those old surplus military issue 1911 holsters and decided to copy the style for my ruger .22, just to pack around the yard hunting moles.... yeah, ok, I was a little bored one day.

The unique aspect of the holster for me is the fact that the molding is done on the back side, rather than the front. So, the front is more flat. The other distinguishing feature is that ramp or raised area inside the holster that tilts the butt of the gun outward, apparently to make grabbing it easier when you are in a combat situation.

So, Tex, euhm , so you've got a pattern and tutorial to go with this holster? (wink, wink)

cheers,

Gunter

So, Tex, euhm , so you've got a pattern and tutorial to go with this holster? (wink, wink)

cheers,

Gunter

Well, not really. I guess I could take a picture of it, but, like I said, it was for a Ruger .22 and not the 1911. Plus, I didn't need the flap. So, it's not going to help much. The ramp was a trial and error design process. Now, as for the original .45 issue holster, for a price, I could open it up and make a pattern..... ehem, for a price, that is. :whistle:

Well, not really. I guess I could take a picture of it, but, like I said, it was for a Ruger .22 and not the 1911. Plus, I didn't need the flap. So, it's not going to help much. The ramp was a trial and error design process. Now, as for the original .45 issue holster, for a price, I could open it up and make a pattern..... ehem, for a price, that is. :whistle:

Tex,

you don't need to open an original holster... original ones are to 'holy' for me ;-), if you know what I mean.

thanks anyway

cheers,

gunter

yessssssssssss, finaly a date, feb 2012!!! yeehaaaa

I just got this pattern pack last week and it's pretty good to my untrained eye.

I started making the "bikini weeping heart" pattern this weekend for my wife's daily carry 1911

You may be interested in looking at the Classic 1911 100th Anniversary Pattern Pack by Will Ghormley. The pack is offered at Tandy Leather and includes 7 different patterns one of which appears to be what you are searching for, not to mention as with all of Wills patterns you can be assured it will be historically correct......

I know this is a late reply, but it seems to me that the exact pattern for that holster (Para Military Cavalry 1911) is included in Wil Ghormley's 1911 holster patterns, to be released in February of 2012.

http://www.willghorm...r.com/1911.html

Kind of off topic, but looking at some of the patterns in the Wil G.s pattern pack for the 1911, there are a number of them that have fully exposed triggers. I know about the safeties on a 1911, but my train of thought in holster design is that you want the trigger covered. Are the exposed trigger holster designs historic or vintage design that the train of thought was different?

Mine are generally covered, but I agree with you; I'm not a big fan of an exposed trigger on any holster for n automatic regardless of weapon safeties. Many of my revolver holsters are open trigger however.

Not sure if this will help you out very much but Tandy's has recently started selling a pattern pack for 1911's 100 yeaar anniversary. i am not sure how many paterns or what kind but it might be worth a try, as far as the brass, i can usually find some things at lowes or home depot that with a little dremmil tool work makes the perfect use. good luck.

Tandy has a 1911 Pattern pack. It has 11 different designs and magazine cases in it.

Randi-Lee