Sign in to follow this  
Handstitched

Joining Belt Blank Off-Cuts

G'day from upsidedown land.smile.gif

I wasn't sure what title to use , but anyway.

I do feel a bit of a goose asking this, but when we all make belts , obviously theres the off cuts.

Depending on the length of the belt , I'll have off cuts in various lengths left over ,some of which I turn into book marks , key rings or dog collars, straps etc. or perhaps ranger belts suitable for a childs waist or a small adult waist.

But if I wanted to use those off cuts to make a full length adult size belt , for example , we'll say a 42" , what would be the neatest and/or tidiest way of joing two pieces together?? Rivet , stitch, or both??

Do you try to hide the join, or intentionally make the join obvious ??

I appreciate that 'O' rings 'D' rings etc. can also be used as part of the belt design.

Any ideas ??

Thanks in advancesmile.gif

All the best,

HS

G'day from upsidedown land.smile.gif

I wasn't sure what title to use , but anyway.

I do feel a bit of a goose asking this, but when we all make belts , obviously theres the off cuts.

Depending on the length of the belt , I'll have off cuts in various lengths left over ,some of which I turn into book marks , key rings or dog collars, straps etc. or perhaps ranger belts suitable for a childs waist or a small adult waist.

But if I wanted to use those off cuts to make a full length adult size belt , for example , we'll say a 42" , what would be the neatest and/or tidiest way of joing two pieces together?? Rivet , stitch, or both??

Do you try to hide the join, or intentionally make the join obvious ??

I appreciate that 'O' rings 'D' rings etc. can also be used as part of the belt design.

Any ideas ??

Thanks in advancesmile.gif

All the best,

HS

I've been thinking along similar lines recently and have had a couple of thoughts (yet to be put into action).

One was braiding two parts together - though this may leave a lump that may be difficult to get through belt loops on trousers.

The second was using a shaped 'patch' stitched over the join and making the patch (or patches) a highlight of the belt by using a contrasting leather and/or stitch colour. Maybe even try some stamping on the patch to make it look more intentional.

Gary

Thanks for your response.

I'm guessing that I would need to put a lining on the inside of the belt which would have to go the full length of the belt , or put the same size shaped patch ( of a lighter grade leather) on the inside.

I do agree with making the shaped patch the feature of the belt though , I think thats a great idea.

I think I might experiment with scraps first , and then decide what work best.

No doubt the strength will be there, but whether a customer would buy a belt with a join in it may be another matter.

I can only try.

If I get a chance to do so, I'll take some pics either of the finished belt, or of the 'experiments'.

Thanks againsmile.gif

G'day again,

Wasn't long since I last posted.

My brain went a million miles an hour just now, but I think I've got it. Lighten.gif

Instead of just joining the two cut ends together, try this:

Skive one the end of one blank off cut to half its thinkness on the flesh side, for example, approx 2" to 3" in.

Then, do the same on the other off cut , but on the grain side so that the two pieces overlap.

The shaped patch can still be applied, and perhaps the lining as well, but at least if you're using the machine, the needle will have something to 'grab', rather than dissappear between a join.

There's no doubt a name for that type of join in woodwork...but I don't know what its called.

Some will say "I already knew that!!" ha ha !!

O'h well , can't wait to try that out now thumbsup.gif

all the best

HS