Sign in to follow this  
ryano

Champion Wide Throat

Hello,

Has anyone rebuilt one of these machines before? I would like to know what the problem areas are and what really to look for. I know there are no parts available for these machines. I will have to make them. I do have some new old stock parts for it, bobbin cases and needle bars.

Also can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the upper tensions on the wide throat and the narrow throat machine? I have heard that the narrow throat has a positive lock tension, but not all wide throats did. Not sure what they look like.

I would like to have a Randall machine, but it is not feasible to buy one at this time. I however, need a needle and awl machine to make some harness parts.

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

I ran into 5 Champions, 2 wide throught and 3 narrow about 6 or 7 years ago. Out of the five I was able to make one sew. The one spot that I found that was a problem on all five was a link that is used to connect the shaft that drives the bobbin to the main stack of cams on the shaft with the hand weel. Forgive me for the poss miss naming of these parts. It had two screws that hold the system together and they looked like they worked loose and stripped out the threads. A problem that a little of locktite would fix if the threads are still good. With mine they were stripped. I had to remove the shaft that drives the bobbin and weld it up and redrill and tap it. It took alot of time just to get it out of the machine and put it back together. The one sewed fine after that and made a great stitch, however I sold it soon after that with the other machines as a package deal. If the machine feels like it is binding up when you turn it by hand check this area. Look at the back of the machine and follow the shaft that drives the bobbin to the left. The link sits on the end of this shaft, you can rotate the hand weel back and forth and see slop in the link if it is worn. I have a friend that sews on a Champion narrow throught and loves it. If you get one that is worn out it can be a hand full of trouble, just like any other machine. I was told that most of them seen use in factories and hard use at that. As for the thread lock i can't rember much about that part. Check with Cambell Bosworth the could poss help you out with manuals and maybe even locating used parts.

Well I got the machine cleaned up. Man was that a pain in the butt. I degreased it first and took it to the local car wash and hosed it down, brought it home and blew it off. I then sprayed it down with royal purple full strength and repeated the car wash. The machine is now spotless and oiled.

The machine believe it or not is very tight and does not need rebuilt. I tried to sew with today with no success. I'm sure this my lack of knowledge of the machine. I will try again tomorrow.

Ryan

www.proleptic.net has a manual and parts list for your machine if you don't allready have one. By the way are you Ryan from Kenton?

Dennis

That is great! They are good machines when you can find one in that is not beat up. Happy sewing.

I haven't sewn any leather yet, but the awl sure goes through a thumb nail pretty easily. What a silly and stupid mistake. :censored2:

Well I figured the beast out and got it to sew. It did not sew very well though. The bottom stitch looked great and the top, well not so great. I am having a problem with the bobbin tension. The tension spring looks to have too large of a groove worn in it. The tension springs very tiny, 1/64-48. I now have all 3 of my bobbin cases soaking in solution too make sure the screws will come loose.

This machine also has a funny way of timing it I might add, It has a very big problem also. This is a very tight machine and it still needs to be tore completely down because it has one roller that looks to have stopped rolling somewhat and has several flat spots. This happens to be the roller that loops the bottom thread so the hook can grab it. Whatever you do, do not ever grease the rollers! My next post will include pictures.

Well I took the Champion apart today. I have to replace 3 rollers that are 7/16 i.d x 3/4 o.d. x 1/2 long. Two are the thread loop cam rollers for the top side and the third one is for the thread opener on the bobbin side. Bob Kovar is checking to see if he the parts for me. If not, I can use hardened sleeve bushings (a.k.a. drill bushing) with a coolant hole in them. I will use the hole for an oil hole.

I hope to have it sewing by the end of the week. Depends on how much I eat on Thursday! lol The machine is black and the pictures are not turning out very good at all. I guess I will just take pictures of it sewing when I get it finished. I may take it the rest of the way apart and blast and paint it. This is undecided at this point in time.

Ryan,

Is this the champion model 77 that you are refering to as a wide throat machine? If so, have you any pictures yet? I just bought one, have gotten it cleaned up very much like you, I sprayed the degreaser on I use for my motorcycle, hosed it off and dried it with an air compressor. I just got it running today but, have not yet figured out how to thread it or much else. Any hints,