Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

Neel's Model 5 Heavy-Duty Harness Stitcher

I've decided to sell my Neel's Model 5 Heavy-Duty Harness Stitcher to make more room in my apartment. I'm going to replace it with a portable walking foot machine for medium weight suede and denim work.

There is probably not even nine hours of stitching time on this machine, as I do all of my heavy leather stitching on my Juki 441 machine, which has a compound feed mechanism. The Model 5, which is similar to a Mach1 and Baby Bull 440, has lower feed only.

I realize that the industrial sewing machine business can be pretty tense and competitive at times with so few suppliers, but Ryan Neel at Neel's Saddlery has been great and extremely helpful. He's even allowed me to link to one of his Model 5 auctions, which fully explains what the Model 5 is all about.

My asking price for the machine (all standard equipment included, plus 25 bobbins and special narrow needle plate) is $600 plus shipping from New York City.

You can read more about the Model 5 here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&...IUfifmhG7l11oBQ

Do you still have this machine?

Dink

I still have it. Great little machine, if you don't want compound feed. I want to sell it to get a big sturdy work table on which I can put on and take off a portable compound feed machine. I'm running out of space.

Ed

What all is the Standard Equipment? Stand, motor, is this the servo motor? everything that is mentioned in the attachment you included? ready to sew? Is stitch length adjustment easy?

Can you find shippimg cost to Larkspur Co. 80118

Thank You

Dink

Edited by Dink

everything is just as it is in the eBay auction description, plus an extra narrower needle plate and a flatbed attachment, plus 25 bobbins, plus an assortment of quality needles.

I'll check on freight. My guess is $150. I'll see about shipping the machine head freight and the rest UPS, though it's probably best to ship everything freight. I think what happens is I ship freight to the closest freight depot near you, and you pick it up from there. It's a bit more expensive if someone picks it up at your nearest freight depot and delivers it directly to you.

I'll look into it.

Ed

Dink,

I checked with UPS.

They should be able to ship it ground to your Colorado zip for $160.

Ed

Ed, do you still have the machine? If so it may take me a couple of days to arrainge my finances but if I can swing it I am interested. thanks....Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I do still have the machine. It may also take me several days to get just the right box and packing materials to ship the machine, stand, and motor correctly.

Ed

Ok, I will let you know for sure by tomorrow evening, maybe you could send me an email MtPockets54@msn.com with some details such as payment method, shipping cost to Clinton Utah 84015 It looks like this machine is exactly what I need to get started

Ed, I sent you an email with my contact info. Can you post some photos of the machine and the items that come with it so I can get a better idea of what I would be getting? Are there any tools, manual accessories, bench etc. I am really hoping I can add it to my shop soon. thanks Jordan

I'll send some photos later today. Everything is identical to what's shown in the link in an earlier message.

All the original items are included: manual, stand, machine head, servo motor, bobbin winder, #25 needles, one spool of black nylon 207 or 277 thread, thread stand, screw drivers, oil bottle, original, and narrower presser foots, material guide.

Extra items included: flatbed attachment, two ten-packs of quality needles (your choice of size) -- not the cheap needles that usually come gratis with machines --, narrow needle plate, ground-down feed dog, 25 bobbins.

Additional items I have for sale: left and right presser toes ($35 apiece), additional bobbins ($1.25 apiece), additional needles ($8 a ten-pack)

ed

cool, I am really hoping that shipping is not going to cost an arm and a leg, If I was still able to drive a semi I would pick it up myself and visit relatives in jersey to boot B) I did have a question for you, I noted in some other posts that this type of machine kind of messes up the bottom layer when sewing 2 pieces of leather together is it that bad? or can the leather be smoothed out easily.

The lower feed dog is quite aggressive. I've backed off on the presser foot tension and have used a spare feed dog that I ground down about 1/4 to 1/3. That has helped. I have encountered some difficulties only when transitioning from two layers of 5/6 oz ( or thicker) veg tan to three or more layers. If what you are stitching stays the same thickness, there is not much of a problem. You may want also to try a roller foot. Ask gunfighter how the roller foot (I don't have one) is working out. Ryan at Neel's Saddlery has them for a fair price.

I'll check today on the shipping cost to Utah.

Ed

P.S. Do you know any truck drivers who come out this way?

The lower feed dog is quite aggressive. I've backed off on the presser foot tension and have used a spare feed dog that I ground down about 1/4 to 1/3. That has helped. I have encountered some difficulties only when transitioning from two layers of 5/6 oz ( or thicker) veg tan to three or more layers. If what you are stitching stays the same thickness, there is not much of a problem. You may want also to try a roller foot. Ask gunfighter how the roller foot (I don't have one) is working out. Ryan at Neel's Saddlery has them for a fair price.

I'll check today on the shipping cost to Utah.

Ed

P.S. Do you know any truck drivers who come out this way?

shipping for 150 lbs to Clinton Utah is $177. If it's any more than this, I'll cover the difference.

Ed

So I am looking at $777.00 total? If this is right I guess I need to find another $102.00. How do you want payment? Personal check, money order, bank check etc? Is it possible that I send you the 600.00 then have UPS deliver it COD for the additional 177.00 in shipping costs I don't know if they do that, or do I send you the intire amount and hope UPS gets it here without damage. As you probably guessed I have not dealt with this stuff before. I have been out of the cross country trucking business for about ten years, did it for three years and almost starved to death. Don't believe all the hype about loads of money to be made in trucking it is Not True!

Ed sent you a PM not sure if it went through, anyway I am ready when you are for $777.00.....thanks Jordan

sold and delivered, nice machine not setup yet but soooooon Thanks Ed.

glad to hear everything arrived in good condition. Did you also get the belts I put in the mail? You'll notice that the one I had on the machine is the one that is a bit glazed.

Yup the belts arrived, I am framing in the concrete walls in my basement work area so I haven't set it all up yet, insulation, wiring, drywall and rubber floor tiles will be next. Personal comfort gets more important the older I get. Slow going but It will be done before turkey day I hope.