Sign in to follow this  
BaldDonkey

Learning About Different Types Of Leather.

I want to learn more about leather working, but I keep running in to the same problem. So far I have just been using remnants from a local hobby store. This is fine mostly I just want to work with something more consistent that I don't have to spend hours skiving and piecing together. I have ordered leather online only to find what I ordered is just not right, too thin, to floppy, etc. So, my question is how do I learn more about different types of leather without having to roll the dice buying online?

Thanks.

1 thing is to learn the weight(oz.) you wish to work with. The ones you ordered online should say the weight of them. If too thin? Get a higher oz.

Hope that helps and starts the ball rollin for others to input.

Malik

Thanks Dawg. I am familiar with weight the problem I am having is more with stiffness. What I am looking for is something I can make something simple out of, belt pouches, maybe a top hat and the stuff I've been able to get, while good leather, is just too floppy for what I want to do.

Thanks WScot. I am not really looking for tooling leather just something to stitch together to make stuff. Handy videos though!

Edited by BaldDonkey

Try these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5VmG0ZPtBo

Thanks WScot. I am not really looking for tooling leather just something to stitch together to make stuff. Handy videos though!

1 thing is to learn the weight(oz.) you wish to work with. The ones you ordered online should say the weight of them. If too thin? Get a higher oz.

Hope that helps and starts the ball rollin for others to input.

Malik

Thanks Dawg. I am familiar with weight the problem I am having is more with stiffness. What I am looking for is something I can make something simple out of, belt pouches, maybe a top hat and the stuff I've been able to get, while good leather, is just too floppy for what I want to do.

Edited by BaldDonkey