Richard Wasnock

Help: Sewing Machine Upgrade Needed

I've been working with an old Aerostitch I picked up used, and also have a Boss kicking around.

I would like to upgrade from the Aerostitch to something that has a clean stitch on both sides of the leather and doesn't need an air compressor.

I would also like something to sew lighter weight leather.

Suggestions? I've scouring posts, I'm sure there's some good ones here. But maybe someone knows of a specific post on specific machines.

I've seen this list

$1300 range:

Techsew 3650HD

Cowboy 2500

$2000 range:

Techsew 4100

Cowboy 3500

Cobra class 3

$2500 range:

Techsew 5100

Cowboy 4500

Cobra class 4

If the money isn't an issue, then where should I look to spend my bucks?

Cobra class 4-25 IMHO

You aren't going to find anything that really has a clean stitch on top and bottom until you get to a need and awl machine like a Campbell lockstitch or a union lockstitch. It's just the nature of sewing machines...

Andrew

I get close to the appearance of a Union Lockstitch on my Cowboy CB4500, by removing the feed dog and using the narrow slotted plate. The narrower the slot, the smaller the exit wound on the bottom. Also, use only the minimum amount of foot spring pressure required to hold the leather down as the needle ascends. This helps reduce the bottom puckering. Finally, use the smallest needle that passes the thread you are using and still pulls the knots up, to minimize the bottom puncture size.

Hello all.They were using the slotted plate on Juki 441's for years before the 441 style became popular in the leather industry. The slotted plates are mostly used today for lighter leathers because you now have smooth feed dogs that are used for heavier leathers. The 441 clones will sew as close to a needle and awl machine including the COBRA Class 4, the Cowboy CB 4500 or the Techsew 5100. I am sure that Wiz, Bob, Ronnie, and myself would agree. Steve

Hi, Steve, do you have those slotted plates in stock? nobody want to sell me a slotted plate? :dunno:

Tor