Sign in to follow this  
shockme2

Holster pattern

Hello!

I'm very new to leather working. So new I haven't ever tried it. I would like to find a pattern for to make a holster for a 1911. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

Welcome to the forum.

The best way is to make your own. Take paper and pencil to make a bunch of different patterns. Use patterns to put around the gun until you find one that meets your particular needs. That is how I determined mine.

Using someone elses pattern may not be a good solution to meet your need. Hope this helps.

I agree with Srigs, you need to start with your gun and several pieces of paper, but there are about a zillion designes for 1911 holsters, and if you have trouble coming up with your first one, sometimes you can get ideas from just looking at whats out there. By looking at other peoples designs, you can get an idea of what works, and what doesn't. You need to decide how you want the gun to ride, and what you will be using it for. A daily carry CCW holster will be very different from a field or hunting holster. I don't usually copy a holster, but you might find two or three features from different designs that you can apply to your own. After you make one, and use it for awhile, you will be able to tell what you like and don't like, and you can change your next one to suit your needs or likes. That is how I started making my own holsters. I am not an expert on holsters, but I know what I like. I have arrived at this by trial and error, and carrying one CCW on a daily basis, and occasionally in the field. I don't know all the answers, but I know what works for me. Hope this helps. :)

Hi and welcome to Leatherworker.net. We're glad you found our little corner of the internet.

As Srigs said, the best way to get a pattern for your specific needs is to design one. Paper works well, but I prefer using card stock, or file folders. I got the idea from another member here. Just grab a standard manilla file folder, and use the crease/fold as your center line. SAFETY FIRST!!! ONLY USE AN UNLOADED PISTOL. Or a blue gun. Place your 1911 upside down, centered on the crease, then lay it to either side and trace the pattern. If you keep the pen/pencil vertical, you'll have a little space around the pistol. This will be important depending upon the thickness of the leather. I prefer 6-7 oz leather for IWB holsters, and 7-8 for OWB. Once you have the pattern of the pistol traced, you can cut it out and use the pieces for a pancake holster ( two sides stitched together) or keep it folded for a clamshell holster. Use the tracing as your base, then add paper/card stock to form the rest of the holster to your liking. Scotch tape is handy here. The card stock is a little better than leather because it resists bending a bit more than the paper- just like leather! Once you have your general pattern, cut the piece(s) from leather and wet it. The leather doesn't need to be dripping wet, but it should be thoroughly damp. This will let you form the holster. The next steps vary from maker to maker. They are Form the holster and Stitch the holster. Some makers stitch it first, then insert the pistol to form it. Others like to preform it, then stitch it. I've done both and the stitch first method is a bit easier. Personally, I prefer to mold first. So...wrap the pistol in a Ziploc bag, or saran wrap to protect it from the moisture. Then start stretching the leather over it, using fingers, thumbs, wrenches, screwdriver handles, whatever.. to mold the leather to the shape of the pistol. I only do this to the outside of the holster, prefering to keep the body side flat. Once the leather is molded, groove a stitch line, lay out your stitch holes, and sew it up. Let it dry and apply a finish. Voila! Holster is made.

Mike

Thanks all! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hi and welcome to adventures in holster making. Mike about covered it all. I too first stitch then mold. My approach to molding is a bit different. I like to use a "naked gun" as opposed to wrapping the pistol in Saran Wrap prior to molding. Take some time in drawing out your pattern and pay particular attention to laying out your stitch lines around the pistol. This will vary depending on leather thickness. I've built a few holsters where I layed my stitch lines too close to the pistol. The pistol then would not fit in the holster. The holster looked nice, but was worthless.

Good Luck

Randy