Cyclist2

Stitching Newbie, Tool Question

I'm new at this, kit level so far, but I'm modifying them to better suit my needs and that requires some freehand stitching. I don't have a store nearby, so can't go look at tools. I see several methods of getting holes in the leather - the punched round holes that come in the kits, the awl in a grove with an overstitching wheel, and the chisels with 1, 2, 4, or 6 teeth in a row.

Without buying them all, any advice on which is a good method for stitching 4-5 oz leather that comes in wallet type kits and the wallet inside leather? I know that with time (and reading the zillion posts here) I'll be buying lots of tools and I don't want to spend a lot on the "wrong" tools now.

Thanks!

Mark

Assuming you are in this for the long haul...

- Forget the punched round holes

- A saddler's awl, some harness needles and thread, an overstitch wheel and stitching groover will cost you less, be most universally applied, and be moderately difficult to learn. Getting uniformly spaced, straight lines, attractive stitching on both front and back sides takes some practice. I refer to this as the Al Stohlman or American style of stitching. Using the stitching groover is a bit more forgiving as it forces the stitches to lie in a line. This is less demanding than stitching without a groover.

- Pricking irons cost a fortune, especially if you get a set (1, 2 and more teeth), it will cost even more. Using pricking irons also takes some practice. Tilting the chisel to go around corners, stretching to hit a corner or end point all take skill and experience. You can use Japanese (http://www.goodsjapan.jp/category/pricking-irons-stitch-punch/catId=4252442) or English (http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products/One_Inch_Pricking_Irons.html or http://www.csosborne.com/no609.htm) pricking irons. Japanese irons will give you more of an "American" appearance with the stitches forced to be in more of a straight line. Japanese irons can also be used with a stitching groover.

British-style stitching doesn't use a stitching groover and instead of the stitches lining up in a straight line, they lie in more of a zig-zag pattern that to my eye carries a certain beauty all its own. Btitish style stitching is probably the most difficult, but IMHO is the more attractive, though that is a matter of personal taste and Stohlman and Japanese stitching each hold their own beauty.

Now as far as weighing cost versus degree of difficulty, I'd probably score a set of Japanese pricking irons, say 1, 2, and 6 teeth for wallets the highest (you'd also need a good mallet or maul). It would cost a bit more than just an awl, an overstitch wheel and stitch groover, but likely get you up and stitching nice appearing work the quickest. Others might say that Stohlman or still others would say that the British styles are the only way to go.

Hope that helps some,

Michelle

here you go

this is all you need for stitching pretty muchany thickness of leather

http://springfieldle...Kit,Handsewing/

when talking about the long haul you will want to add to your stitching tool collection

with a couple of pricking irons and you might find a few tools you like that may make your work go easier

if you follow Nigel Armitages video tutorials on stitching you cannot go wrong however the art of hand stitching leather by AS will work just as well

Everyones method of stitching will vary.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith