I finished my new boots a couple of weeks agocool.gif, and I finally got around to posting them on here! They are 18" kidskin tops with 6 rows of stitching, buffalo vamps, and some REALLY underslung heels!

post-27693-041947000 1333321413_thumb.jp

post-27693-000454000 1333321427_thumb.jp

post-27693-001571700 1333321444_thumb.jp

Wow! those are very nice.

The boots look very nice!

I have a cowboy boot question for you. Why do some of them (like yours, but I have seen some other makers do this) have the rear of the heal tip in at such a radical angle? It seems to me that in doing this it makes it much more likely that you will slip or twist your ankle since the heal of your foot is far less suported. They seem to have more the apearance of a female high heal instead of a male work shoe. I am not critisizing you, it seems to be a common design style, just do not understand. This is coming from someone who has a really messed up leg, I could never wear a boot that has so little rear support in the heal area.

Aaron

The boots look very nice!

I have a cowboy boot question for you. Why do some of them (like yours, but I have seen some other makers do this) have the rear of the heal tip in at such a radical angle? It seems to me that in doing this it makes it much more likely that you will slip or twist your ankle since the heal of your foot is far less suported. They seem to have more the apearance of a female high heal instead of a male work shoe. I am not critisizing you, it seems to be a common design style, just do not understand. This is coming from someone who has a really messed up leg, I could never wear a boot that has so little rear support in the heal area.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron!

Well, the beauty of custom boots is that you can order whatever you want! These are "riding heels" which basically means that you are right, they aren't that great to walk on, but you get used to them. I'm not too sure how the style was invented, but style is the reason I made them this way, I think they look cool, and when you are riding a horse you can't feel the difference. If you were going to do lots of walking it would be a lot better to put a larger diameter heel cap, which would make the heel more vertical vs. the "underslung" look these ones have.

They don't call 'em "ankle breakers" for nothing!

The style is reminiscent of what I saw out west as a youth. My family was in the cattle business and everyone wore boots (in fact everyone I knew wore boots). As my granddad told me once the heel was designed so your foot would not get caught in a stirrup in the event you were bucked off, or the horse fell (praire dog hole)… . Double or single pegged shank? You just do not see many bootslike this anymore…. They are WAY cool.

DBP

Edited by DoubleBarP

I understand the idea of wearing a high heal so that the heal has a harder time going past the stirup. I was/am questioning the inswept rear of the heal.

I finished my new boots a couple of weeks agocool.gif, and I finally got around to posting them on here! They are 18" kidskin tops with 6 rows of stitching, buffalo vamps, and some REALLY underslung heels!

Pretty darned good looking job, I'd say. Obviously not just your second time around boots. Looks like a good job on the outsole stitcher too.

Regarding the underslung heel, while there is no official ratio, the higher the heel, the more underslung the heels needs to be just to walk without flapping every step. I've changed out lots of heels with this shortcoming. Frye Boots in the 70's were the worst.

The brain knows where your heel ends, and the taper makes it possible to contact the ground with each step in this line, with the heel tapered at the back.

Stability comes form the heel base coming straight down on the sides.

Yea, I have heard that higher heels help keep your foot from going through the stirrup, I have never had it happen, (knock on wood) so it must be true! Yes, they are double pegged along the shank, the only nails in the whole boots are in the heel bases, and the shanks are big "60 common" nails.

I like them. Very macho looking!

Are the shafts large enough to get pants into?

I see you have a spur shelf also.

I wear spurs when I ride, and I hate it when I find a boot that I like but it doesn't have a spur shelf.

Very nice job.

Joel

Electrathon:

The underslung heal is designed served a couple functions. They were designed to keep the foot in the stirrup but not allow the foot to slip too far into the stirrup. This kept the cowboy from getting hung up and dragged by a horse if he got bucked off. (I was taught to keep the stirrup just where the ball of the foot and the arch meet... and my heals down for this very reason.)

It also allows the cowboy to dig in his heals into the dirt to wrangle a stubborn animal.

There is some pretty good history at this site... if you want to read more

http://www.cowboyboots.com/history.html

Very nice. And that is what a heel is supposed to look like. I wear them like that. Not great for walking the mall or concrete, but in the pasture or on a horse, they can't be beat. I would have to agree with the balance under the heel statement. I seem more upright and balanced in an underslung heel and they walk better than a roper style heel. I have always noticed that a roper style heel will wear around the back and if you have them long enough, they will turn into an underslung heel:) . Great job. Great color also. RW

WOW!!!!!

GrandpaJoel-yes I can tuck my pants in, (my calves are really small!) but here in ID we don't do that much.....unless I am country dancing! I couldn't agree more about the spur ledge, they just make spurs stay where they are supposed to. Wood- imagine how much these dang boots would weigh if they weren't underslung heels!

First, those are really gorgeous, I would be really proud to wear a pair of those any day! Just enough fancy to say I like my stuff special, but; not so much that they belong on the shelf to look at. WTT, do you make them for customers of just for yourself, and if you do make them for folks, would you share your price list with us?

Now, I might be showing my age here, (I know a couple of you are in my age bracket), but; when I was a youngster, and riding with Roy, Hoppy and Gene, out on the play ground, we called them "bull doggin' heels". Now mind you none of us were out working cattle or bull dogging at the rodeos, however; that's what we called them and it was because the idea was, that with the deep underslung heel, when you jumped off that cayouse , grabbed them horns, and planted your feet out to stop the critter and wrestle him down, you wouldn't get your heels stuck in the dirt and break something! Now I ain't no expert on this , but; that's the way I remember it. Maybe someone older that me, whistle.gif can elaborate.

Bob

... we called them "bull doggin' heels".

Bob

Yup. Bull doggin heels. Never knew 'em called anything else. (I got a little age to show here too). And boy, them's some fine lookin bull doggin boots! Why, those cows otta just fall right down when they see those boots comin!

Bill

Thanks Bob! Sorry, I don't have a price list, or take orders or anything like that. I just wanted to build my own boots so I could say "Yea, I made those!" I enjoy making them a lot though, and boots are an area in leather work where there is just so much that goes into them that there is always lots of room to improve. It's certainly more fun than making headstalls and belts all the time! (no offense to anyone who enjoys making those!)

Edited by WTT

THOSE BOOTS ARE OFF THE CHAIN!!!!!!!!!

I love the soles! I have some old boots laying around and have been toying with the idea to re-do the stove tops:)

There is a boot making school here where I live; and I have also been thinking to take some courses!

YOUR BOOTS LOOK GREAT!

I remember when I was a kid the big boot companies took a LOT of pride in making very cool and quality stove tops and seemed to put a lot of effort into them, now I can go through 1000's of boots at Sheplers or any online site and I can't find 1 single descent pair of boots I like...I have to make and tool my own!

WHAT HAPPENED????????

Boots used to be so GREAT!

ranting2.gif

I sure wish folks at Montana and Tony Lama would seriously get some pride back! Their boots are tuff and last but the style has just gone right out the window!

Edited by chancey77

Those are amazing and I would love to make some boots for myself. Where would one start the information hunt on how to do it?

Ok searched across the site and found mountains of info. thumbsup.gif

Ok searched across the site and found mountains of info. thumbsup.gif

Nick, I strongly recommend DW Frommer's programs for an eductated approach.

Very predictable results and lots of guidance and support.