Sign in to follow this  
JMorgan

New Holsters

These are a few recent projects. Been making holsters as an occasional hobby for a little while now--any comments welcome.

The first one is for a Colt Woodsman with a built-in spare magazine holder. It is out of one piece of leather except for the safety strap and the welts. Speaking of welts, I went a little crazy on this one. Must have broken 4 or 5 needles sewing it up even after drilling the holes. Got the idea for the design from a photo in Six Guns by Keith, except the original was made of multiple pieces of leather. In retrospect, the extra magazine is probably better off in a seperate pouch (to reduce bulk) , but making the whole thing out of one piece was a learning experince.

Woodsman_with_mag_holder.jpg

Welts_gone_wild.jpg

Second one is more of a retro style for a 1911, with full welt, plug, and minimal molding. Bill Jordan meets Jeff Cooper, or something like that.

1911_Holster_with_Plug.jpg

Last one is a simple Tom Threepersons style for a S&W K frame. The revolver has a target front sight so the wide width of the holster helps to manage that. The leather used was kind of rough, so I went with an antique finish to make the best of it.

Tom_Threepersons_SWK.jpg

Some people post nice pictures of their first try. Not me. For my first one I was trying for a flap holster, ala Indiana Jones, for a S&W L frame and ended up with something that looked like East German military surplus.

post-8466-1231990522_thumb.jpg

post-8466-1231990534_thumb.jpg

post-8466-1231990547_thumb.jpg

post-8466-1231991475_thumb.jpg