Sign in to follow this  
Kevin King

highlighter has gotten onto the parts where i do not want

Okay, what you are looking at is potentially 15hours work and an entire double shoulder ruined. Heres the deal. When i do my woodgrain, i use highlighter. It really makes the wood come to life. Anyway, the blemishes in these photos is where some of the highlighter has gotten onto the parts where i do not want there to be. Dye is not sticking to the places where there is highligher. I have tried to use straight water to clean off highlighter, but i am wondering if i am making the problem worse. Does any of you have any suggestions on what i can do to remedy this. Deglazer? Some kind of acid? dye solvent? I am at aloss, and thought this would be the place for help. This is the back panel of a model t hotrod. I have done six other panels for this car the scme way and have not had any of these problems. I am, however, an optimst and if worse comes to worse, this leather will make alot of wallets. PLEASE HELP.

ruined.jpg

ruined2.jpg

ruined3.jpg

post-3955-1193279129_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1193279141_thumb.jpg

post-3955-1193279154_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin King

I'd try rubbing alcohol. Just a little on a soft white cloth and with a light hand. Go slow and if it's working, keep turning the cloth and change it out because you're going to get quite a bit of build-up from that much surface. It'll try it out some but you can recoup that with Lexol conditioner. You might try to simulate what you've got on a scrap and then try the alcohol on that. I strip holsters like with alcohol all the time and then restore some of the natural oils with Lexol. Lexol won't darken or discolor like neats-foot. Don't use Lexol NF, use the conditioner. Let us know how it goes, and good luck.

later,

~Bill

I know what you are going through. It really sucks when color doesn't work like you expect it to. Deglazer will take off any acrylic finish that you have put on, or I should say it has for me. It doesn't take off spirit (alcohol) based dyes. It also does some weird things to leather, so I would use it only as a last resort but I don't know of anything else that will work. If I was you, I would take a scrap and apply the same finish you did to the piece that is messed up. Then try deglazer on the scrap and see what happens. If you are happy with the results on the scrap, then try it on the other piece.

Good luck!!!

rubbing alcohol, lexol conditioner, deglazer. Clay, Bill, thanks for your response. Has anyone ever heard of or used muratic acid? i don't know if i spelled that right.

Muriatic acid is the stuff they use on driveways and sidewalks. Oxylic acid is usually used for leather. Follow the dilution instructions carefully, wear gloves and get plenty of fresh air.

I would probably bite it and do the back panel again, and make wallets that I could dye darker from the spotted leather. IMHO, salvage operations like this seldom give the desired results and take too much time. Good luck with it, no matter what you decide to do!

Johanna

You might try it on scrap. I've never heard of it being used. Oxalic acid (common wood bleach - Home Depot) is used a a prep to clean before finishing. I've heard it will remove ink and blood, but I've tried both with negative results. Lemon juice is supposed to do the same as oxalic acid. I've used both and you can expect a bleach action (lighter) where you apply it. You should neutralize it with clear water. I've also heard you should use soapy water. I've always used plain tap water. It seems to make the leather drier and a little hard so I apply Lexol after using it. I use Lexol cleaner/conditioner in lieu of oxalic acid now and it works to remove oil and dirt from my hands during tooling, molding, etc. All said - test on scrap if you can whatever you decide to try.

Okay. Went to the local (kinda) 70 miles away leather shop. They have a small workshop inside the store. One of the guys who works in the shop that has been a leather worker for 40 years (whom i respect very much) recommended acetone. I have purchased the acetone, but have not tried yet. Anyone wanna chime in on this idea before i try? He did say to dab and wipe. Not scrub, as scrubbing will just move highlighter around.

Zilla,

Thanks for the compliment. Stay tuned for pics of completed project. Still have the seats and floor to do after this piece.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin King