particle

Holster Making Video Overview

Okay - after a long week of late nights and hours of video editing, I've finally finished my first "real" attempt at producing a video. As many of you know, I'm relatively new to holster-making (and leather working in general). Like many of you, I've found there to be a shortage of videos that demonstrate the process of building holsters, boning, cutting, stitching, etc. I've learned SO much from this forum, and decided I'd like to give back to the community by providing a condensed overview of the overall process. There are MANY here that do "this" or "that" better than me - again, I'm no expert and I learn something new every day. But I hope this video will give some of you a step in the right direction.

Should you find yourself interested in viewing my attempt at wrapping some leather around a gun, feel free to visit my website and click on the "How's it Made?" link at the top of the page. My camera quality kinda' stinks, my lighting was poor, my knife was dull, but I still managed to create something I'm proud to carry my gun in. I posted it to YouTube, but it's too long and was rejected. Oops!

I should also add - if any of you seasoned pro's out there see something blatantly wrong that I did, please feel free to PM me to let me know. I plan on making more of these videos in the future (with a better camera...), so I'd be nice to not repeat the same errors in the future.

Take care,

Eric

www.adamsleatherworks.com

Edited by CitizenKate
Removed broken link.

Well Particle you've proven that you're not just another set of pretty hands.evillaugh.gif Seriously though I was very impressed. The quality of the video was far better than I would expect from a first attempt. A lot like your holstermaking.

As to the content I didn't see anything wrong. I do some things differently and somethings easier but that is always the way. No one can argue with the finished product at all. Congrats.You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Hey particle!

I just tried to watch your video about 10 minutes after Denster posted his comment, and the message from YouTube was that the video had been removed because it was over 10 minutes long. I din't know there was a limit, but apparently it's not on YouTube anymore.

Mike

Edited by Mike Craw

Hey particle!

I just tried to watch your video about 10 minutes after Denster posted his comment, and the message from YouTube was that the video had been removed because it was over 10 minutes long. I din't know there was a limit, but apparently it's not on YouTube anymore.

Mike

Mike

Just go to Particles website and click how it's made. The entire video is there. Particle will probably have to break it down into two parts to post it on you tube.

Mike

Just go to Particles website and click how it's made. The entire video is there. Particle will probably have to break it down into two parts to post it on you tube.

It seems YouTube only allows those whom have posted longer videos with a "Director" account in the past to continue to upload long videos. Perhaps the mods here can help me find a way to make it available here without having to go to my website first. And perhaps a mod can remove the YouTube link in my original post since I no longer have the ability to edit the post?

Edited by particle

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have found a video like yours a few weeks ago when I was just getting started :) Very helpful and informative... not to mention a sweet holster as well.

I am still in the planning stages of making my first and this is very helpful. Step by step. Your holsters are fantastic. Thanks for putting this together - it might sound corny, but this is very inspiring.

I am still in the planning stages of making my first and this is very helpful. Step by step. Your holsters are fantastic. Thanks for putting this together - it might sound corny, but this is very inspiring.

Thanks for the kind words - I'm glad to hear some people are finding it helpful. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and hope to do more in the future.

It seems YouTube only allows those whom have posted longer videos with a "Director" account in the past to continue to upload long videos. Perhaps the mods here can help me find a way to make it available here without having to go to my website first. And perhaps a mod can remove the YouTube link in my original post since I no longer have the ability to edit the post?

Sending you a PM shortly, Eric, and I'll take care of the link, too. Great stuff!

Kate

That is a well made and easy to follow video. Thank you! Many folks that will follow after you will benifit from your experience.

-Tac

Excellent! Very well done video. I am sure that you have created something that will guide many hobbyists through the production of very good products.

I agree - great job!

Particle,

I'm just a hobbyist who is on my 2nd holster, and this video is going to be a huge help to me. There are a lot of great tips in there! The simple act of watching you create belt loops using a drill press and a chisel has already saved me the $40.00 I was going to spend on a 1 1/2" punch at Tandy. Thanks!

One quick question - Where in the manufacturing process of the video holster did the baking in the oven for stiffening happen? After the boning process & before the application of neatsfoot oil right? Bake at 120 for about 40 min if I recall correctly from another thread.

Thanks for sharing,

-Lance

Eric - You did a great job on your video. Also, you make beautiful holsters!

Jeff

Thank you everyone for your kind words! Glad people are getting some use out of it. I hated that I forgot to hit record during the boning process, and that I put the Gum T. on the edges before I dyed the edges... and forgot to show the first time I drilled the belt slot holes, etc. - no telling what else I might have missed!

Particle,

I'm just a hobbyist who is on my 2nd holster, and this video is going to be a huge help to me. There are a lot of great tips in there! The simple act of watching you create belt loops using a drill press and a chisel has already saved me the $40.00 I was going to spend on a 1 1/2" punch at Tandy. Thanks!

One quick question - Where in the manufacturing process of the video holster did the baking in the oven for stiffening happen? After the boning process & before the application of neatsfoot oil right? Bake at 120 for about 40 min if I recall correctly from another thread.

Thanks for sharing,

-Lance

Lance - glad this has helped you out. Yes, definitely save your money on the punch you mentioned. I bought the same punch you were looking at, and it was extremely dull from the factory. It wouldn't cut a turd. I sharpened it gently and slowly with my grinder to make sure I didn't overheat the edge, then followed it up with a file to smooth it out. I didn't even change the grind angle! First hole I tried to make the steel curled over and flattened out. Total junk steel. Thus the reason for the drill press. One of these days I'll probably order a weaver punch. Till then, it's the drill and a sharp chisel.

And yes - the oven part came after molding, and before the oil. You could probably burnish the edges while the holster is still damp from the molding, but I've found it's too pliable still and it generally gets deformed a bit when I burnish. Thus, I just wait and burnish afterward.

Awsome video - very helpful to those of us trying to learn. One question - Why the neatsfoot oil? That was the first time I have hear of using it after dye but before sealer - what does it do?

thanks again

Neatsfoot oil, for one, darkens the leather a bit. With exposure to sun, it helps to tan the leather a bit giving it that cool golden color you usually see on saddles. It also helps to add a little flexibility and moisture back into the leather after the baking process that hardens and dries out the leather.

Okay - after a long week of late nights and hours of video editing, I've finally finished my first "real" attempt at producing a video. As many of you know, I'm relatively new to holster-making (and leather working in general). Like many of you, I've found there to be a shortage of videos that demonstrate the process of building holsters, boning, cutting, stitching, etc. I've learned SO much from this forum, and decided I'd like to give back to the community by providing a condensed overview of the overall process. There are MANY here that do "this" or "that" better than me - again, I'm no expert and I learn something new every day. But I hope this video will give some of you a step in the right direction.

Should you find yourself interested in viewing my attempt at wrapping some leather around a gun, feel free to visit my website and click on the "How's it Made?" link at the top of the page. My camera quality kinda' stinks, my lighting was poor, my knife was dull, but I still managed to create something I'm proud to carry my gun in. I posted it to YouTube, but it's too long and was rejected. Oops!

I should also add - if any of you seasoned pro's out there see something blatantly wrong that I did, please feel free to PM me to let me know. I plan on making more of these videos in the future (with a better camera...), so I'd be nice to not repeat the same errors in the future.

Take care,

Eric

www.adamsleatherworks.com

Excellent video! Very well done!

Just adding my well done to the comments. I have several "professional" holster making videos, and yours is equal or better than most.

God Bless,

SkipJ

Well, I'd love to watch it, BUT I live out in the country at the end of the DSL line. So it's slow downloading, too slow. If I try to watch the video it buffers about every 5 seconds. Has anybody made a DVD and be willing to send me one? I would sure pay for it to be sent.

Well, I'd love to watch it, BUT I live out in the country at the end of the DSL line. So it's slow downloading, too slow. If I try to watch the video it buffers about every 5 seconds. Has anybody made a DVD and be willing to send me one? I would sure pay for it to be sent.

Sorry, no DVD available - at least not yet... The video should actually be downloading - if you leave the window open in the background, it should continue downloading. Give it 5 or 10 minutes, then come back to it - it might be downloaded by then and you can watch it without interruption. My parents had the same problem. DSL that is WAY less than what they're actually paying for...

+1 for the suggestion of having this video pinned to the tutorial part of this page.

-Tac

After 3 1/2 hours I got to see it. Very well done. It's always interesting, after doing leatherwork for years, you can always pick up something new or different from someone else. Thanks for posting an excellent presentation.

After 3 1/2 hours I got to see it. Very well done. It's always interesting, after doing leatherwork for years, you can always pick up something new or different from someone else. Thanks for posting an excellent presentation.

Thank you sir - glad you were able to eventually view it. I had a lot of fun putting it together.