BondoBobCustomSaddles

Newest Christmas Present

Well, like everybody here I have been busy for Christmas also. Here is a saddle I just finished for a lady for her Fjord. She was having trouble with getting a saddle to fit. Nothing special here, except that she wanted a border pattern that looked like thistles, and she also wanted rolled rope edges on horn, cantle and fork. Just got it finished and it is delivered tomorrow. Now I am caught up , for now! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Regards

Bob

post-8161-078631600 1325002165_thumb.jpg

post-8161-047854900 1325002180_thumb.jpg

post-8161-091761200 1325002194_thumb.jpg

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Pretty Cool Bob. Is putting in that metal lace tricky? I had a guy call wanting me replace one like that and I don't have any idea where to start.

Really nice saddle. She oughta be tickled.

CW

Thanks Rohn and CW for the comments. CW, lacing and getting it to look uniform can be tricky. I was lucky enough to contact Ann Stohlman a long time ago and ask her about that very thing. Al had passed before he got the book finished that had the details in about how to do rolled rope edges, however; Ann had the hand written pages that detailed the procedure and she put me in touch with Bob Pleyton of Wilsaw Montana, between them they sent me not only Al's notes, but; excerps from some other books on how to do it . If you PM me with your address, I will copy them and send them to you.

Regards,

Bob

Very nice ! Simple and clean. I like them like that.:thumbsup:

Who did you get the tree for a Fjord from?

Was it custom or just a wide tree?

Sorry to butt in, but may I have a copy of the notes also, if you don't mind.:blush:

Thanks

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Very nice ! Simple and clean. I like them like that.:thumbsup:

Who did you get the tree for a Fjord from?

Was it custom or just a wide tree?

Sorry to butt in, but may I have a copy of the notes also, if you don't mind.:blush:

Thanks

Joel

Hi Joel, hope you had a Merry Christmas! Thanks for your comments, and to answer your questions, first, the tree came from Bowden. They are a production house, however they also make trees on special order using the templates that I send them, and that has always worked for me. i agree that I have to do a lot of finish work when they come out of the box, however they have always fit perfectly, and are priced in a range my customers will pay. I would love to use Rods trees of some of the other truely custom makers, but; so far my customers haven't opted for the higher level trees.

Second I will be glad to send you the pages, I think I am going to try to scan the pages and put them on the sight for all.

Bob