Whit30

Covering A Hard Plastic Notebook

Hello, I made a post about needing suggestion on how to do some flowers in the Florial form and those are to go on the cover for a photo album for a great young couple at our church for there weeding. Please advise me if this will work.

I already have the leather from other things so I needed to keep my cost low. Instead of buying stiffiner, the three ring and all I picked up a good quality binder at wmt. with stiff sides and a smooth locking binder. I plan to drill

The two rivetd holding thee binder in place and covering the binder with an inside lining leather and a thicker leather on the outside. I plan on cutting any plastic pockets and the shinny covering and just covering the original white cover

of the notebook. Will barge cement glue the leather to the plastic? and I will take it out a little making an outter edge of just the two leathers to either sew or lace and they will be glued together as well. my other worry is the sides

of the notebook. Will it be ok after gluing the leathers to the notebook to sew down the seam of the hinge on each side or should I leave it alone and the barge cement will be enough to keep it from moving inside?

Or should I cut off the sides and use then just as seperate stiffiners glue and sew every up that way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you havent, please read my post on tooling the flowers she likes for the cover, I've had alot to read but no responce. I am a novice at this and appologize if the questions are really basic.

Thank you for your time and advice!

I have done a few of these. My suggestion would be to cut the note book into three pieces, and glue the leather to the pieces, and together between the pieces, along with glueing it together along the edges. This will make it easier to close the note book, otherwise it may be very stiff, and take quite a while to break in.

Thanks for the suggestions, did you take off all of the covering plastic down to the original stiffiner they used?

Thanks a million!

I have done a few of these. My suggestion would be to cut the note book into three pieces, and glue the leather to the pieces, and together between the pieces, along with glueing it together along the edges. This will make it easier to close the note book, otherwise it may be very stiff, and take quite a while to break in.

Hi Ron,

I have to agree with azrider....I would use the pieces as stiffeners and not just try to wrap the notebook with leather. Depending on your budget, wmt sells plastic binders that are not vinyl covered and the leaves make good stiffeners. I am not a fan of using the cardboard found inside the vinyl covers. However, if that is not in the cards, then glue each leaf to the exterior leather of the binders and then line the inside with a lightweight leather. The spine needs to be stiffened also, so you can utilize all of the binder. Whether you elect to remove the vinyl covering or leave it in place, Barge will bond to either and hold it tightly in place. I think I would remove it. Remember to gouge the fold lines into the exterior piece before gluing in the lining. Ounce the gouge is cut, use a french edger to remove the shoulder on either side of the gouge. And you will definitely want to cut your stiffeners down so that you can bring the two leather edges together to sew. If you sew the outside perimeter, it shouldn't be necessary to sew down the fold line, Hope this helps...

Bobby

Wow, I have the picture in my mind now! thanks so much for the instructions. Now I think I'm good on everything but had a question about "Ounce the gouge is cut, use a french edger to remove the shoulder on either side of the gouge" when you say either side of the gouge, are you saying remove the edge on both notebook sides but only one side of the gouge or both sides of the gouge it's self? Thanks a million!

Hi Ron,

I have to agree with azrider....I would use the pieces as stiffeners and not just try to wrap the notebook with leather. Depending on your budget, wmt sells plastic binders that are not vinyl covered and the leaves make good stiffeners. I am not a fan of using the cardboard found inside the vinyl covers. However, if that is not in the cards, then glue each leaf to the exterior leather of the binders and then line the inside with a lightweight leather. The spine needs to be stiffened also, so you can utilize all of the binder. Whether you elect to remove the vinyl covering or leave it in place, Barge will bond to either and hold it tightly in place. I think I would remove it. Remember to gouge the fold lines into the exterior piece before gluing in the lining. Ounce the gouge is cut, use a french edger to remove the shoulder on either side of the gouge. And you will definitely want to cut your stiffeners down so that you can bring the two leather edges together to sew. If you sew the outside perimeter, it shouldn't be necessary to sew down the fold line, Hope this helps...

Bobby

Wow, I have the picture in my mind now! thanks so much for the instructions. Now I think I'm good on everything but had a question about "Ounce the gouge is cut, use a french edger to remove the shoulder on either side of the gouge" when you say either side of the gouge, are you saying remove the edge on both notebook sides but only one side of the gouge or both sides of the gouge it's self? Thanks a million!

Remove it from both sides. The idea is to remove enough material so that when the leaf is folded over, there is less compression of the leather and it won't bind. When you gouge you will want to go 1/2 way through the leather. Hope this helps.....

Bobby

A tremendous help guys!! Thank you so very much!

Remove it from both sides. The idea is to remove enough material so that when the leaf is folded over, there is less compression of the leather and it won't bind. When you gouge you will want to go 1/2 way through the leather. Hope this helps.....

Bobby