Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Leather Plate (Decorative)

Here's a leather plate I made from a class I took over the weekend.

post-3307-0-70915900-1350441216_thumb.jp

I can't believe I missed this class......where was I at? In space probably. Looks great Marlon!

WOW Marlon.....too cool. Also, loved meeting your wife last week at the show. You are one blessed man!!!!

Edited by pabloz

For what it's worth from a novice, I'm impressed! Not least by your going round with the basket stamp and hiding the starting/meeting point!

@Sam you have so much going on...I don't know how you missed it either. It was at Elktrack studios too! What a great place.

@Paul, thanks for the complements! (used that knife that you may recognize in the picture!)

@LederRudi, learned that from the Great George Hurst! He's one of the best.

Very nice! What show was this?

Beautiful work there Marlon..you did this over a weekend?!? Wow!! I agree with Rudi..really well laid out on the basket weave..

The knife looks sweet..I bet it's real easy to turn with such a narrow blade.. :)

Regards

Phil

Marlon,

That is very nice, beautiful pattern.

As you may know I would see something. I realize you probably done this on purpose but, I prefer the background

to be more "blended" in lieu of the strict pattern of the backgrounder.

Just my .02

ferg

@OdinUK, I saw Paul at the Wichita Falls Boot and Saddle Maker's show, earlier in October.

@Horrrk, Yes, this was a one day tooling. (4-5 hours). The swivel knife is made by Paul Zalesak of www.leatherwranglers.com the blade is not much thinner than a tandy blade, but the material of it was very well researched and stays sharp probably 5 times longer than an average blade. Really helps to prevent you from having to strop so much. (As you can tell, I love this knife.) Not affiliated with Paul, but I do know him and he makes great tools.

@ferg, the background is done that way on purpose, but there are some errors that could be corrected (some strikes are harder/lighter than others). It is done with a bargrounder that shows as small holes that are directional. (you probably know this, but for the uninitiated....) the traditional backgrounder will mat and if done properly, will blend the background as you prefer.

Thanks to all the great comments.

Marlon.

Awesome work you have there Marlon, and in just 4-5 hours, Well done :-) I would have totally lost myself in that round basket weave, I wish I knew the secret "how too" make it look that good *S*

Marlon....I saw George make up the demo plate during the open house. I guess it is my age! Do you know if there is another class scheduled?

Awesome work you have there Marlon, and in just 4-5 hours, Well done :-) I would have totally lost myself in that round basket weave, I wish I knew the secret "how too" make it look that good *S*

Tina,

It's really not that hard...If I can get some time. I'll do a quick tutorial on running that basket weave around a curve like that.

Marlon....I saw George make up the demo plate during the open house. I guess it is my age! Do you know if there is another class scheduled?

Sam, I don't. Jim was out following elk tracks when we took this class, and I think he and George were going to set up more classes when Jim got back. He was due back yesterday (I think), so stay tuned. If I get any info, I'll send it to you.

Great job Marlon. Good to see your work again!

Where is the cool oval flower center from?!!!!!!

pete

George and Jim are in the planning stage for more classes. They are also working on having a couple of other people to do classes there as well. I would post my plate but its not as good LOL. or my Eagle from Jims class a couple of weeks before. We are lucky to have so many talented leather people in the area and the hope is to have at least 1 class a month. When everyone gets back from Iflog I will give yall an update :)

Very nice work Marlon. I'd love to know how to do the basket weave as well, but all of your work on this is great. Thank you for posting!

Bob

Thanks Pete,

That oval flower center is one from the old hidecrafters line up. I beleive that double k leather now owns the dies and tools from hidecrafters. I think the number is PJ018. I'm not sure if it is still carried anymore, but you may be able to find it somewhere.

@ BobBlea, thanks Bob. I may get around to it this weekend. I've been pretty busy for the last 3 years (not a typo). So leather has taken a back seat, but I'm trying to get into a regimen that will allow some articles to come about.