Gawdzilla

Antiquing, How Do You Like To Get That Look?

Fishing for suggestions on ways to get an antique look. Any thoughts appreciated.

I was hoping to get something more "chaotic", if you know what I mean. I'm trying to do at least some of my work that is very clearly not machine made in some furrin' country by guys who spend their entire life punching 00 holes in the same bit of leather.

One suggestion I've already received back-channel is kind of interesting. Take a paint brush and fan it out and randomly trim the bristles. A light pass gives a few streaks of dye, and pressing harder give more. A coarse sponge dipped lightly in the same color dye can add a layer of texture to the material as well.

Are you looking for something like this?

Yeah, things along that line. I'm dealing with city folks here, so I have to tread the line between "realistic" and "artistic". "pre-weathered" is something like what I'm looking for.

This video shows how the Japanese pre-weather their veg tan wallet. I suppose besides what is shown in the video, you can also sun it after the whole process, to complete the aged look.

As for the above belt I made, I simply apply a layer of resist, wait for it to dry, then lightly and randomly run through with a fine grit sand paper. The grit then creates "scratches" in the resist, which I then follow up with some dye applied on a sponge. It completes the look. The control of the look is at the part when you work with the sandpaper.

Here is another example, where I went criss cross with the sandpaper.

Try some experiments with Fiebings Oil dyes and water. I have found that if you hit the article dyed, and not quite fully dry, with streaks/splotches of water you can achive some cool rustic effects. Sorry, I don't have any pictures as I usually got the results when I did not want them...

Try some experiments with Fiebings Oil dyes and water. I have found that if you hit the article dyed, and not quite fully dry, with streaks/splotches of water you can achive some cool rustic effects. Sorry, I don't have any pictures as I usually got the results when I did not want them...

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Have you experimented with using a lighter dye first, and then hitting it with random patches of a slightly darker dye?

I do not do anything that requires an aged look - yet (my other hobby, Halloween, has me looking into Steampunk as it is quickly becoming a popular sub-gener for Halloween displays). My observations are mearly from my clumsyness... :head_hurts_kr: