TomG

Bottom Of Stitching Problem

Hi All,

I am pretty inexperienced at sewing, but learning. I have a Singer 111W155 with a Consew Servo motor that I have put the slowdown mod in. It seems to sew fine, but my bottom stitches look pretty bad. I'm not sure why.

I'm attaching some photos here of the top and bottom. Tops look good, I think, but the bottoms are U-G-L-Y. I know I need to loosen the presser foot pressure, but what can I do about the little circle and "thin: look to them. I think the circle is the hole that the needle goes through. But is it a tension issue, presser foot issue or a combination of both?

Using 138 thread, 23 leather point needle.

Thanks

post-14889-0-45271600-1455330998_thumb.j

post-14889-0-60699400-1455331001_thumb.j

post-14889-0-36969400-1455331012_thumb.j

post-14889-0-18249600-1455331019_thumb.j

Edited by TomG

Got a dupe image...

post-14889-0-86107300-1455331294_thumb.j

The bottom stitches look normal to me, for a typical walking foot machine. The only way you can get a different result is to use a straight stitch machine with a hole in the throat plate that just clears the needle, or, find an elusive narrow slotted throat plate and remove the feed dog. This converts the machine into dual feed: needle and inside alternating foot.

You should experiment with different needle points. There are left LL, LR, Diamond/Triangle, S, P and round points available from different manufacturers. One may give a better bottom hole appearance than the others. If you find such a needle, order it in all the sizes you intend to use.

Thanks Wiz. I'll go research those needles now. I obviously didn't know that was "normal" for bottom stitches. I guess I expected them to look like the top stitches when all was in order.

The total thickness was 16 oz, and is probably the thickest I've sewn. I was happy with how the machine performed. Just wish I had a machine like the 206Rx with reverse. If I get to the point where I'm sewing a lot, I'll invest in an upgrade at that time <g>.

For now, I've got my eyes out for a speed reducer pulley for cheap. Probably won't find one, but I can hope. I've got it running pretty slow, but the initial takeoff could be slower.

Anyway. Thanks for the help and advice.